iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodworking bench front/face vise?

Started by Brad_bb, September 07, 2019, 09:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I currently have two woodworking benches, an antique one  that I use regularly, and a home made one made by an elderly friend of mine back about 1960.  His wasn't really a full woodworking bench, the top is only 2x thick, and no vice or bench dog holes.  So I'm going to build a new laminated top and a tool/catch all tray.  I use a face vise more than anything but trying to decide which one to install.  Here are the two choices I've some to so far.  I want a wood handle. These are both wider than the one of my other bench (which has a wood screw by the way).  I don't think these vises would have the same tendency to cock like the older wood screw vise when something was not symmetrically in the vise.

Grizzly Cabinet makers vice

Sjobergs SJO-33302 Adjustable Vise

Any opinions or thoughts?  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

btulloh

Grizzly looks better at first glance. I don't care for the sheet metal on the other one. 

Take a look at lee valley.  http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=67755&cat=1,41659

More money but a much better vise. Quick release is something you really want. I'd make that a must have. There are others out there not quite as pricey as the Lee valley. 
HM126

Brad_bb

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

btulloh

Of course. Veritas is Latin for "costs a lot".  (And you thought it meant "truth".  Naaahhh)

There are import versions available. Woodcraft, Rockler.  The may require a little cleanup on the machined surfaces. 
HM126

21incher

I have a very old vice that has quick release and I wouldn't buy another without it. It's not a face vice just a standard woodworking vice but does have the sliding dog.  Just hold the handle in the vertical position and it slides freely the full opening width. Then you turn the handle and it clamps.  You can find some nice old ones on craigslist.  
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Thank You Sponsors!