iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diesel blade lube and rubber drive belts?

Started by Jhoff, April 17, 2018, 03:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jhoff

I would like to switch from water drip blade lube to a diesel wick lube. My only concern is I am runing a rubber and Kevlar drive and idler belts on my wheels. Will the diesel swell them and become a problem? If I switch the belts to polyurethane, will this hold up to diesel? I like the cooks set up but they use metal drive wheels. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

slider

Been using it for years with the belts from woodmizer,i think they are gates.
al glenn

ladylake

I run diesel in the winter and water in the summer with no trouble.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

thecfarm

I have a Thomas mill. Been doing it since day one. I have no idea what I have for belts. It's only a drip every few seconds,if that. But I am not doing furniture wood. Just out buildings. I don't know if the diesel would affect the stain or not. I also put some bar and chain oil in the diesel too. That's what he told me, half and half.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

Jhoff, you have the right idea when you mentioned wick for thats the key to applying petro based lubes. With a wick you not only apply lube sparingly but also physically clean the band. I have quit using diesel myself and now use drained hydraulic oil or ATF just don't use drained engine oil as it contains products of combustion which can be harmful. Applied sparingly with a wick absolutely no harm to belts. Frank C. 
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Jhoff

Thank you guys for the help on this. It looks like I will be switching over.

PAmizerman

Jhoff what are you sawing that is giving you enough trouble that makes you want to use diesel?
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Jhoff

Nothing. Just rebuilding my saw and want to get rid of the large water tank for a 1 gal tank.  I am told diesel  will last much longer and saves on the roller guide bearings.

Thank You Sponsors!