iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's happening

Started by pasbuild, September 25, 2005, 10:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pasbuild

Does  anybody know what methods will be used to control the EAB in the U.P.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

pasbuild

Well I can see why this little bug is spreading like it is :( nobody seems to have an answer

Tom

Opinion

Forty or fifty years ago an all out war would have ensued with aircraft spraying chemicals on mile after mile of forest and urban landscape alike.  Trees showing signs of attack would be cut.  there would be fires everywhere burning the limbs, leaves and bark.

Today we sit back and watch because there are strong environmental factions who disallow a war for fear of humans being affected, wildlife dieing and rivers and lakes being poisoned.

There is good and bad in both approaches.  If we could fight these battles without being on one extreme or the other and work together to find solutions instead of fighting one another, there may be some answers. 

As it is, those willing to fight are politically ham-strung.  Those who oppose action, supply no resolutions.

farmerdoug

Pasbuild,

I am afraid to say it but I think the only way to save your ash for the itme being is to blow the bridge.  Come to think of it that may save your ash but bury your a_s. :D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

pasbuild

Yes Tom thats a sad fact :( its hard to get any two entities to work together for a common goal. I feel that a large scale media campaign, TV newspapers, radio would go a long way in informing the general public. I have spoken to a lot of people outside of the forest products industry that know nothing or very little about the EAB. I like to think that there are a lot of people like Corley5 who would do there part if they knew the implications of moving infested wood.

Ron Scott

Right now its kind of a "wait and see" thing I guess since the Federal and State $$$ are going to be short for any control measures other than preventative with citizens not  transporting firewood form infected areas.

I hear that Chet is sharpening his chain saws and may not just be looking "downed cherry". ;)
~Ron

Fla._Deadheader

Something blew in down here with last years Hurricanes. Now, all the Pines are dying. Best way these folks see to combat it is, Bulldoze and build houses  :( :(
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SwampDonkey

Back in the 70's they blanket sprayed private and public lands to kill budworm.  When I was too young to know anything about budworm, I noticed under the spruce stands there were dead grackles everywhere. I knew it was man caused and I knew about spraying stuff for bugs because my father was a farmer. It was apparent that those that were doing the spraying didn't know the ill effects, or maybe didn't care. It also meant that the spraying was done when kids such as myself were outside in it playing.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

estiers

Tom - The problem with EAB is that there is no insecticide available that is as effective as the sprays you speak of.  There are several programs in the recent future where sprays have been used and pretty effective (boll weevil, gypsy moth) to keep populations in check.  Research to this point has found no viable option in EAB's case.

Whew!  I go away for 2 months and come back to find the forum blown up with EAB talk!  Very refreshing.

Now, if I can only clean up my image...  Seems that my kind have taken a beating here.   ;)
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

pasbuild

estiers your image on this forum is that of a dedicated warrior against the EAB.
The fact that your here, helping to keep us informed speaks volumes.
THANKS

Ernie

last year, the powers that be, repeatedly sprayed a huge portion of our largest city, Auckland, to try to eradicate the painted apple moth.  The residents were not pleased, particularly the ones with little kids.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Ron Scott

TV News tonight says that the State is going to start cutting ash around the Brimley State Park in effort to control the spread EAB.

There is a public meeting by the MI Dept. of Ag. at the Brimley School tonight at 7:00 pm to inform local citizens and address any issues with the proposed control project.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!