iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Leaky 460 magnum

Started by sfgjon, March 05, 2006, 02:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfgjon

I figured since I got such a good reponse on my last question I would ask one more. I purchased a 460 Magnum a few months ago, and after about 3 tanks of gas, it quit oiling the bar. I took it to my dealer who replaced the worm gear and pump. Now it oils like a banshee, but has developed another problem. When the saw sits for more than a day or two, it leaks out a considerable amount of bar oil. Is this common on this saw? I've owned plenty of other saws, and the only other saw that leaked like this was a poulan (don't even get me started on THAT piece of junk). Did the dealer put something together wrong, or do I just have to live with it?

Thanks again for any help!

Kevin

If you are referring to a puddle on the floor, take it back.
There is always a little oil that will drip after using the saw but it should be minimal.

Alta

It shouldnt drain the tank but a puddle the size of the bottom of the saw isnt that unusual if the oiler is adjustedd all the way up. You might experiment with that by checking to see if the adjuster is max'd and if so back it off, clean up the saw, run it and see if a) its oiling suffuiciently, and b) the residual flow is less. I have all our saws max'd because of the use they get (fire dept) and they all leave a good size pool behind after use - about the size and shape of the bottom of the saw.  On the other hand if its creating a syphon and draining the oil tank, it needs help.

Ga_Boy

I've had my 460 Mag for about 6 months now.  It does not leak and cranks in three pulls regardless of weather.

It sounds like the oiler adjuster is maxed out as noted.  Check this first, if the adjuster is not the problem take it back.

When I bought my 361, I had problems getting it to start, turns out there is a documented problem with the coils on the 361's.  It took a "sprited" discussion with my dealer to get him to consider the coil problem and fix it.   He did fix it and did not charge me, as it had been back in the shop on and off for 6 months after I bought it.  A good dealer will take care of you, this is what sets Stihls apart from other brands, the attention to customer service.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

dudeman

I had the same problem.  Three tanks in on my 460 and it seemed to stop keeping the bar oiled, even when set on max.  Some oil was making it to the chain, but not nearly enough.   The oil tank would go down just a bit.  Thought it might be the wood, but was definitely different than when brand new.

Brought it to the dealer today.  Sounds like it could be the oil pump also.   I'll post the results when I get it back.

Dudeman

sfgjon

I do have the oiler "maxed" out, I guess I figure oil is cheap and chains and bars aren't.

I would say the amount of oil left is a lot less than the size of the bottom of the saw. Maybe I'm just being too picky. Just figure after spending that much money it should hold it's oil. I have a monster cottonwood to cut down this weekend, so I'll play around with it and post what I find.

As far as the dealer taking care of me, I am not worried about that. I've bought a lot of equipment from this dealer (not just Stihl) and they've always been great to work with.

Thanks again for all the repsonses, I am very impressed with this board! Wish I found it a long time ago!

Alta

It probably is holding its oil and what you are seeing is the residual oil in and around the oiler, sprocket etc inside the chain cover when you shut it down. If it is actually somehow draining the tank its a problem; if its just the left over oil running down to the bottom of the saw, that seems to be normal for these.

Kevin

What are you using for bar oil?

sfgjon

Right now I am using Stihl brand winter weight bar oil. When I started the saw today it puked a small amount of oil out (1/4 ounce), but then seemed to work fine after that. When the fuel mix tank is empty, there is about 1/2 tank of bar oil left. Does this seem about right?

Reddog

Yes, some times if the oil hole in the bar is partialy plugged mine will only use half a tank at full output setting. If everything is clean it will use about 3/4 of the oil tank. The winter oil does run out more after you shut down.

Kevin

That's about right for normal .
I run my oil open, tank of oil for a tank of fuel.
It reduces bar and chain wear.
I clean my saws after every use.
If the bar is plugged the oil will just run down the side of the saw.
Keep your saws and bars clean and they'll cause you less grief.

Alta

The saws are designed to run out of fuel before they run out of oil even with the oiler max'd out so you will not run the oil tank dry (unless you dont re-fill it when you gas up) I have had good results with every bar oil Ive used.  What I wont do is use motor oil, waste oil, home made concoctions or anything but real bar oil which is designed to stick to the chain while its humming around the bar. I think any legit bar oil is fine, although I do use stihl for the most part. But its not like 2 cycle oil which has specific properties that matter for the longevity of the saw, although Im sure the stihl rep would disagree.

sfgjon

For what it's worth, my saw is back in the shop. Well, actually on it's way to Stihl. I just wasn't satisfied with the amount of oil it was using, so I took it back to the dealer. They called Stihl for advice,and I guess they wanted to see the saw. So.. a new pump, new worm gear and now a trip back to the company.

I'll post what happens next. Thanks again for everyone's advice.

CaseyForrest

While your saw is at the shop, tell them you want the piston and adjuster screw from a 460 with a full wrap handle. The pump housing is the same but the piston and adjuster screw put out .2 ounces more oil per minute. I wish I still had the part numbers, if I find them I will post them for you.

sfgjon

Well, I got the saw back yesterday. The reason they gave for the low oil use was that there was a "problem in the casting of the oil tank". Sounds a little fishy to me, wouldn't there be thousands of saws out there with the same problem if it was a casting issue? I plan on using the saw all day today, I will post tonight with the results.

Thank You Sponsors!