iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just the Facts, the Crown virus.

Started by doc henderson, March 12, 2020, 09:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wesdor

Sorry, I must not have been clear. We drove out Saturday of this past weekend. He developed symptoms the next day. 
We will remain positive- no other way in my estimation. 

Thanks for the thoughts. 

doc henderson

Relax.  Most treatment is restricted (due to low amounts/availability) and will only be given if you are sick.  I agree that he may not have even been contagious when you were there.  you are older (older than me, definition of old)  so if you get it, there is increased risk.  the unknown is hard.  i had not felt well for a few days and wondered since i work in health care.  my antibody test just came back negative.  the things that work are the antiviral medication, antibodies from plasma of people who have had it, and steroids, and poss having had an immunization soon when that is available.  The real treatment if really sick is supportive.  there is a long incubation period before symptoms, but you are less contagious during that time.  cannot go back and change history.  Do not get to wrapped up in the pro health pro-biotic stuff.   the other supplement stuff is ok if you are malnourished, but is other wise just good for business for someone else.  I believe and hope you and your wife will be fine!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

some clinics have developed respiratory clinics for people with symptoms and or exposure.  you could call back and ask to talk with your doc, or see if they have a protocol for your situation.  If you go in too soon, your will test negative even if exposed and will eventually get it.  there is no treatment shown to be prophylactic or reduce symptoms if taken early.  if you get a cough and fever, what ever, you can be tested.  still a good chance it will be negative and something else.  get you r flu shot when it is time and enjoy the time that you got to spend with your family.  wait and see.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

wesdor

Thanks Doc,
Very comforting and guiding words.  The numbers of my age are not in my favor - in fact I had a virtual yearly exam just last Friday and my doctor said chances of dying from Covid at my age were 15%.  His point was to be careful.  However, I am in very good health - in fact, took out an insurance policy 2 years ago and received a preferred rate.  My 96 year old mother still lives at home and is in great health.  I have many of her genes.   I am by nature a very positive person and think that also helps. 

We are just trying to cover all our bases during this time of waiting. 
Agree, we aren't getting excited about pro-biotic stuff.  We eat a balanced diet and live a healthy lifestyle.  If we develop it, we will not hesitate to get to a hospital and cases are low enough in our area that we should receive good care.  We have been with our current family physician for more than 14 years and he is a superb doctor.  We are happy to have him, but also don't wish to expose him.  He agrees and has moved to virtual visits for all possible situations.  Yes, we get a flu shot every year, although we don't plan to go anywhere until our 14 day quarantine is up or we develop Covid and eventually test free.

The other reality is that I have lived a fantastic life.  None of us will get out of this life alive and even though I have hopes of living into my 90s, if this is the time, then I can only be thankful for the great years given to me.  My wife and I have a deep faith and know that everything will be fine.

barbender

One of my friends just called me this morning and told me his wife got really sick, couldn't keep anything down. Not even water, so she ended up having to go to the ER where they gave her a couple of IV's of fluids for dehydration. She was tested and ended up positive for Covid. He's sure he had it as well, he said he lost his sense of taste and smell but otherwise feels fine. They have a group home for developmentally disabled adults, this has complicated things for them immensely as the whole house has had to go into quarantine. They had just returned from a trip out west, stayed with family in Rapid City, SD who have also contracted Covid. They haven't figured out who gave it to who. 
Too many irons in the fire

Stephen1

I visited my Daughter and my Grandson, 2 weeks ago, I came down with a cold. I wore my mask and faceshield out of respect. I recorded a low grade fever of 99.5 for 2 days, thursday, friday and saturday morning. I went and tested on Saturday and am waiting for my results. The fever went away saturday evening and I woke up feeling normal sunday morning. 
We will see. In the past there was no worry, I had a cold, carry on. 
Now we have the fear drilled into us and so we worry. I felt it was a cold, but I thought I would test and then I could sleep at night if it is a negative test. 
I wanted to put my hand on the back of head to feel if the swab was poking out! Only hurt for a few seconds.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

doc henderson

nice job.  yes it is prob. a cold, but good to know.  even if covid, if you are healthy, you should be ok.  the key is not to give it to another 10 people.  I gave blood and have no antibodies.  good to know my precautions have kept me away from the virus despite my increased exposure.  part of me would like to think I was immune!   :)

Stephen1

Quote from: Stephen1 on September 07, 2020, 11:03:02 AM
I visited my Daughter and my Grandson, 2 weeks ago, I came down with a cold. I wore my mask and faceshield out of respect. I recorded a low grade fever of 99.5 for 2 days, thursday, friday and saturday morning. I went and tested on Saturday and am waiting for my results. The fever went away saturday evening and I woke up feeling normal sunday morning.
We will see. In the past there was no worry, I had a cold, carry on.
Now we have the fear drilled into us and so we worry. I felt it was a cold, but I thought I would test and then I could sleep at night if it is a negative test.
I wanted to put my hand on the back of head to feel if the swab was poking out! Only hurt for a few seconds.
Update.
I received a negative test result for Covid19
Amazing what goes through your mind while waiting for the results, especially at 3 am trying to go back to sleep. Slept like a baby last night.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Ljohnsaw

The tin foil thread posted a video about some "facts" that I want to go directly to a reputable source for clarification.  @Ianab , what have you heard about door-to-door mandatory C19 testing that is going on in NZ?  And what about 7 and younger kids testing positive being taken away to a quarantine facility and given a vaccine without consent?  It was stated that they can do that in NZ because you don't have a bill of rights.  Sounds a little unbelievable to me.  I'm just looking for facts and not looking to visit the woodshed...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ianab

You are right about the misinformation. There isn't a vaccine, so that part is 100% fake news. There is no intention to make any vaccine compulsory, so to me that makes the whole article suspect.  If you are a close contact with a confirmed case you are expected to get tested, and self isolate at home. 

With the latest outbreak positive tests have been isolated ( in a nice hotel). Several children have tested positive, but not removed from family, because they caught the virus From family, so it was a case of them joining the rest of their family at the hotel. Schools in Auckland had been temporarily closed at that point so the spread didn't continue through them.

Some of this may seem a bit draconian, but counting on people to " just do the right thing" hasn't worked. Latest outbreak has lasted longer than it should because a certain church group decided that having confirmed cases attend wasn't a good reason to isolate at home. So they held a funeral service at a private home, and one of the attendees was positive, and passed the virus on to others. Now they have 2 more funerals to not attend....

The virus hasn't been a political issue in NZ, so most people accept the measures to control it as things have been clearly and scientifically explained. The case numbers show the results. 2 cases yesterday (one a child of an existing case), and another traveller caught at the border quarantine. Day before there was zero new cases. The low number of cases now makes it possible to actually track where people have visited, and every case has been traced back to the patient zero. So people aren't rounded up at random and hauled off or anything. 

If you have been following my thread in Travel, you can see where we have been on the road for 2 weeks, even with the Level 2 restrictions. Auckland was under L3 and there were travel restrictions in and out of the area.

I do wonder the motives of people writing these articles..... But that's getting into the conspiracy theories that dont belong in this thread.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

wesdor

Update on our exposure to Covid. 
We are now 18 days out and no symptoms. We chose to do a very strict quarantine - not going anywhere nor seeing anybody in person. Happy that we have FaceTime. 

Not sure how we  escaped after more than 10 hours of exposure but happy with how things have turned out so far. We still are very careful around people - social distance and wear a mask, but we did that before when out in general public. 

Thanks Doc for your wise words two weeks ago. 

doc henderson

Quote from: wesdor on September 02, 2020, 09:41:14 PM
Thanks Doc,
  My 96 year old mother still lives at home and is in great health.  I have many of her genes.     

glad you are well, and please do not wear your mothers Jeans! :D :D :D

Ianab

Quote from: wesdor on September 16, 2020, 03:51:05 PMWe chose to do a very strict quarantine - not going anywhere nor seeing anybody in person. Happy that we have FaceTime.  Not sure how we  escaped after more than 10 hours of exposure but happy with how things have turned out so far

Good news. 

That's how to control the virus. You can't do much once you get it, except not pass it on. If you think you might have it, act as if you do, just in case. If everyone does that, the virus dies out. 

That's been shown in the latest NZ outbreak where folks that had been exposed ignored the instructions to self isolate,  and infected their friends before they knew they had it. 

The contact / infection thing seems to be a bit random, one person caught it after being on a bus after an infected person (no direct contact). Other people have caught it, and not passed it on to their immediate family, in spite of living in the same house for several days. Are some more likely to spread it? Or some people have a natural resistance?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

kantuckid

Quote from: doctorb on September 01, 2020, 09:51:43 PM
I read that the Tour de France's problem with regard to Covid is not with the many stages in the outlying areas, it's how they are going to deal with the crowds when the final stages are run in Paris.  So it still remains to be seen.....
One of my sons, who happens to have been a bicycle road racer in college, was going to school in Hungary and traveled to Italian Alps one Saturday for the world bicycle championship races. I remember him saying there are over 800,000 people watching from the roadsides then.
The French race gets even bigger crowds I'd think?
I have noticed these past two weeks that some college FB stadiums seem to have much better spacing than others. The game related neighborhood student parties, not so much. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Ianab on September 16, 2020, 06:40:50 PM
Quote from: wesdor on September 16, 2020, 03:51:05 PMWe chose to do a very strict quarantine - not going anywhere nor seeing anybody in person. Happy that we have FaceTime.  Not sure how we  escaped after more than 10 hours of exposure but happy with how things have turned out so far

Good news.

That's how to control the virus. You can't do much once you get it, except not pass it on. If you think you might have it, act as if you do, just in case. If everyone does that, the virus dies out.

That's been shown in the latest NZ outbreak where folks that had been exposed ignored the instructions to self isolate,  and infected their friends before they knew they had it.

The contact / infection thing seems to be a bit random, one person caught it after being on a bus after an infected person (no direct contact). Other people have caught it, and not passed it on to their immediate family, in spite of living in the same house for several days. Are some more likely to spread it? Or some people have a natural resistance?
I think some people have a natural resistance or at least have a system that makes it harder for them to catch it somehow. My wife is exposed at her wok place as a NP provider on a regular basis and she hasn't caught it, but several in the clinic have. My wife also never gets sick. I think she said she has never had the flu. 
Necessity is the engine of drive

doc henderson

we are having quite an outbreak here.  just got back from vacation, and two extra shifts so far.  1 doc out for 10 days, and some scribes.  be safe.

Sedgehammer

Here's a fact from the WHO

doc henderson

It is prob. the same as the flu, but no one has had it before this year. your link is to zerohedge?  not the world health organization.  it is their interpretation.

Claybraker

Doc I can't find the quote from Dr Fauci back around March or so, he said this is going to be like a game of Whack a Mole as hot spots suddenly appear. This source shows a positive test rate of 15% for Kansas, so be safe.
What U.S. States Are Ready To Test & Trace?

doc henderson

thanks CB.  flu should at least be less this winter as people are taking precautions.

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Claybraker on October 08, 2020, 09:15:51 PM
Doc I can't find the quote from Dr Fauci back around March or so, he said this is going to be like a game of Whack a Mole as hot spots suddenly appear. This source shows a positive test rate of 15% for Kansas, so be safe.
What U.S. States Are Ready To Test & Trace?
Never saw this web page before.
I dunno about our state. From what I can tell they've done almost no contact tracing here. Least wise everyone we know that's had it, the people they were contact with haven't been contacted. 

Sedgehammer

Quote from: doc henderson on October 08, 2020, 07:58:40 PM
It is prob. the same as the flu, but no one has had it before this year. your link is to zerohedge?  not the world health organization.  it is their interpretation.
Correct. They used WHO's numbers.
How is your outbreak going up there?

Ianab

Kind of related to Corona virus, but news article here says that this "flu season" in NZ had SIX confirmed cases. Maybe a handful more that didn't get diagnosed because they weren't serious enough. That's not deaths, that's cases, and as far as the Health Dept can tell, no one died of the flu this year. Lots of people died of something related to their lungs (other viruses / bacteria etc), but not the influenza virus. 

A "normal" year would be maybe 50,000 cases and several hundred deaths. 

Vaccination for the flu was pushed early in the year (to take pressure off hospitals if Corona got out of hand). But the distancing, hygiene, restricted international travel (so no new strains?) would all have helped. 

Obviously this isn't a permanent thing as eventually borders need to open etc, and new strains will eventually appear and get here. But interesting from a epidemic study point of view, and might help understand how the flu spreads as well. Also comparing severity of the two viruses under identical control conditions. Corona -  ~1500 cases / 25 dead. Flu - 6 cases / zero dead.  Kinda indicates which is the nastier disease.   

Sedgehammer

@Ianab I'll not post it here, but I made a reply in the restricted forum on this. 

doc henderson

the flu has been around a while and we have a vaccine, so hard to compare.  the flu is nasty, but we are use to it and have ways to treat it.  At this point I would almost feel relieved to get covid and get it over with.  hopefully not in the permanent way.   :(
so we are good.  we have a 73 y/o doc returning to work tonight after testing + 2 weeks ago.  My mother in law had it (3 weeks ago) and is recovered, age 76.  Thanks for asking Sedge  

Thank You Sponsors!