iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Underground Root Cellar Construction

Started by OlJarhead, July 27, 2011, 08:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jueston

we will know for sure when we see the door. if its 6 inches thick its a bomb shelter.... the pictures when its finished will give us the answers we are looking for...

OlJarhead

Quote from: beenthere on January 06, 2012, 11:38:30 AM
As you are off in the forest, it should be a good safe place for protection from a forest fire.

Might be, as long as you keep trees away so the fire doesn't suck the Oxygen out!  But it should also be a secure place to store things you don't want unwanted guests to get at.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

OlJarhead

LOL no 6" doors!  Though...now that you mention it....

Nah haha just a good steel exterior door with an extra lock or two.

Of course if the garden shed is well constructed and stocked one might not even know there is a cellar under it ;)

SwampDonkey

Quote from: OlJarhead on January 06, 2012, 11:10:01 PM

just a good steel exterior door with an extra lock or two.

Are the bears that troublesome out there? ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

OlJarhead

Actually bears could be a problem though the closest I've seen tracks is about 1000 feet from the cabin up on top of the hill.

Meth heads are more likely an issue but up there it's a little less likely then closer to town.

However, I've been told that if it isn't tied down it's likely to eventually take a walk so tie it all down and lock it all up.

OlJarhead

http://www.drystacked.com/sequence.html thanks to another forum I did a search and found this.

I beleive using this method of building the walls I can get it done much faster then a traditional mortar job.

My biggest challenge now is both to cut and mill the logs without ridding myself of all good logs and of course, getting someone with knowledge to come out and help with the foundation pour.  I've done some concrete work but want the floor in the dry room to be well done and everything else done right too so figure I'll have to con a work buddy into the long treck up to the cabin ;) as he has all the tools and the knowledge :)

SwampDonkey

I thought you were more remote. I could go to areas around here and never hardly see a soul all winter, probably no one at all. ;) In fact, I could go to the woodlot this time of year, which is 3 miles away and I know no one will be there this winter. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

OlJarhead

Nearest town is ~23 miles away and has only about 900 people in it.  Another is about the same distance if you travel 4x4 roads and forest roads to get there (so takes longer) and has about 1200 people.

Have a neighbor about 1/2 mile away through the forest (rumor has it one of the kids living there -- kids being in their 20's or 30's -- is wanted by the law in Michigan) or about 1/2 to 2 miles by road and another neighbor about 3/4's of a mile away (more buy road).

Nearest store is about 3-4 miles and it's all by it's lonesome (as in no other stores etc for 20+ miles).

So we're fairly remote but I've learned that no matter how remote and hidden you are you could still be found and left with nothing by those who like to do that sort of thing.

Bandmill Bandit

Looks to me like you have it pretty much built in your head and I think it sounds about right. Over built is better then poorly built. One other thing for materials to use if available is Tamarack logs and lumber. Need to get that stuff in place ASAP after it comes of the stump but it will out last any thing treated that I have ever  seen.

I swear the stuff grows petrified.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

OlJarhead

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on January 10, 2012, 07:13:04 PM
Looks to me like you have it pretty much built in your head and I think it sounds about right. Over built is better then poorly built. One other thing for materials to use if available is Tamarack logs and lumber. Need to get that stuff in place ASAP after it comes of the stump but it will out last any thing treated that I have ever  seen.

I swear the stuff grows petrified.

Hmmm, I have some Tamarack though I planned to let it grow to eventually cut and burn in the woodstove...most of my trees are under 10" in diameter though I think, whereas I have a lot of pine that's big enough and perhaps enough Fir....I'll check again though!

Thanks

Paul_H

This is our root cellar in Enderby.It was built by the owner before us for their market garden.It's dipped below -20 C here and never got close to freezing inside.Nice and cool in the summer too but we leave the door open for a bit of airing and kill any mildew.
The boxes at the back and rh side have sand in them and are good for carrots,spuds,apples,turnips etc. Canning stays on the shelves.

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

SwampDonkey

Nice! No wine?  :-\ :(

Root cellers where mostly under houses around here, as the basements were unheated. Cisterns never froze and taters and such kept to. Most of the heat was on the first floor of the house. These old farm houses has a lot, I mean a lot of doors and a lot of cubby holes along with them. :D

Thank You Sponsors!