iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Back from visiting the Redwoods

Started by sawmill_john, March 24, 2003, 11:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawmill_john

I just got back yesterday from a week in Eureka CA, at the Redwood Region Logging Conference, WOW.  That is some great country, I'd suggest visiting the area if you have the opportunaity.  I'm going to go back when I've got more time to see more of the sights.  Steve and I, spent most of the time at the show so we didn't get to see alot, but what we did see was specatacular.  The people were all great, including all the other exibitors, and competion. I'll get some pictures here in a few days, the weather was DanG wet the last day and so-so the rest of the time.  
We did compete in the sawmill shoot out with Lucas, it was close but in our lot of 6 logs one was riddeled with nails, we ended up winning the recovery but lost the time part by a few minutes, I'll have the results to post when they fax the to me.  the approx result of our time was just under 1000 bdf in 1 hour.  That was cutting mainly 2 x 6 boards out of redwood logs that were 8' long.  Our over run was about 26%.
Even with the bad weather I had a great time, meet some great people, eat some good food, even some cold adult beverage, what else can you ask for?
I have to thank Gia Carrozzi for the use some of her tools that we had left at the shop, If any one wants big redwood slabs or boards she has some great looking stuff.

John

sawmill_john

Heres a picture of the DanG nails we encountered in the shootout.

The poor teeth were toast after cutting these babies!!!!!!

John

Jeff

Ouch!  I guess. those are some beautys. ::)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

Were those nails in an "environmental" log??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

sawmill_john

These logs that we were cutting we babies the bigest one was 22" at the small end, not like some of the medium size ones that some of the people had at the show (4'-5') diameter, and some of the best looking grain I've seen.  I was able to get a few boards and as soon as I let them dry some I'll get some pictures posted.  

Thanks again Gia!

Frank Pender your going to have to go down and visit with Gia she has quite the operation.
 :o

Jeff

We need to get Gia posting! She has been a member since the first of the year. She even filled her bio out!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tillaway

If I had known you were going I would have given you quite a list of good restaurants.  I see you did find the brewery though. ;D  Foods good there too. 8)
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Frank_Pender

I know the bit of hitt nails like those, John.  Sorry for the poor weather.  There was no allowance for hitting the nails. ???  Almost sounds suspicious, to me.   Glad you won the one side of the event.  8) I am sorry I was not able to attend.   Perhaps next year. :-/
Frank Pender

sawmill_john

The event was on the up and up, I felt they were fair and they did stop the clock and let us remove the remainder of the nail riden log.  The Lucas guys did a great job of cutting, now if there were 12 or 18 logs I know we would have blasted past them.  But I'm in no way taking away from what they did, I was impressed with the speed of their sawing.
As for getting Gia to post, she is a busy girl.  You'll have to do so sweet talkin.

John

Tom

sawmill_john

Thats right Happy B-day Gia hope your backs feeling better! Take care.

John

Thank You Sponsors!