iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

firewood processor

Started by Trapper4977, February 09, 2020, 12:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trapper4977

I'm thinking about building a firewood processor. I know some here who have done it.
If you built it OR bought it from the factory. .. can you share some info about
Hydraulics sizing, horsepower needed, etc... 1 cord an hour would be a good size for me to start with. What size hydro motors and pump are needed for the different applications? Hydro chainsaw, hold down, conveyor and a splitter that can push green hickory thru a multi wedge or box wedge.
Thanks

hedgerow

Welcome to the forum  Trapper4977
First thing you need  to decide if you are running this every day or for you personal use. Whats your budget? That is going to make huge difference in what you are going to build or buy. Hydro chain saws cost a lot of money to build and run. It takes a lot of GPM of oil to run them if I was building mine today I would just use a reg gas chain saw. Pushing hard wood threw a multi wedge you better have a lot of hyd power and and lot of metal behind it. I push some hedge threw my multi wedge but it can break stuff. Good luck with the build and kept us posted. 

jmur1

Hi Trapper4977:

I built/fabricated a processor that consisted of the following:

• Small Belt driven Circular Blade on a centrifugal clutch and electric brake
  • 6 way splitting wedge
  • 1/2 Conveyor belt and 1/2 live roller feed line
  • Ø 4 1/2" splitter cylinder with a 28 GPM two-stage pump
  • Live log table 
  • 20 hp twin cylinder Honda powerplant driving both saw belt and hydraulics on a hold-to-run switch

I have run it for about 5 years now.
What would I do different - 
This year I ran a load of maple through it and broke alot more that the usual odd weld repair.
I would make your wedge as heavy as you reasonably can.  I have not broken any of the 1" thick wedge pieces in 5 years but broke 2x 3/4" thick pieces this year.  Not broke at the welds - clean break through the body of the steel.   

Engine is perfect for hydraulic power and saw.
I always end up winching my logs up to the blade.  The crook nature of the logs is a bit painful to manage.  I would be sure to give yourself more space (width) than you might guess.  I have about 14 inch width on the rollers and nearly double that would be better.

Keep up posted on your progress.

jmur1  

Easy does it

hedgerow

jmur1
You talk about crook logs and winching them. Seems like some days that's all I have for logs. If I was building mine again I would run a shuttle grapple like multi tech does for feeding the logs. Crook logs would be no problem then. 

Nathan4104

Trapper,
i have a Blacks Creek model 1500.  i get a cord an hour out of it with nice wood.  i get 8' logs from the loggers.  
this machine runs 13hp. A 3.5" cylinder.  I had my cylinder rebuilt to a 2.5" rod for faster return times. The bar (18") is belt driven.  
Jmur hit the nail on the head with his advice.  
The processor is only part of the whole operation, think about your typical log sizes, how to load the machine and how to get rid of the split wood. that's where a lot of time and handling is spent. 
I have a hard time believing one could build a machine for much less than a good used one. unless you have a good selection scrap and scavengable parts and really enjoy grinding and welding, and cutting and regrinding and welding, and grinding and welding..... 
keep us posted on your progress!   

moodnacreek

25 gpm min. ,4 1/2 " bore max. , rod dia. 3", custom made [worth it]. Do you really have to tow it? If not build on skids and mount power, pumps and tanks completely out of the way or separate from machine. Make infeed trough wide and no protrusions on side to catch crooked wood. Forward and reverse on all hyd. motors. The perfect splitter design I have never figured out. A 2nd upright splitter next to a 4 way on the processer. The 'powersplit international' style to finish the ugly stuff. No body has ever agreed with me on this 2nd splitter but it was not me who thought of this, I have seen it done and unless all your wood is small and straight you would want it.

Thank You Sponsors!