iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stack drying oak

Started by D6c, October 21, 2022, 10:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

Is this too much cover on a stack of white oak?
It's sitting under the open side of my pole barn and has shade cloth covering the front and top.  Pallets are just to keep the shade cloth in place.
I know I need to air dry oak slowly but at what point do I risk mold forming?

It's usually pretty breezy here and with us heading into winter I wasn't sure how much risk of mold there was.

Larry

Right now its 23% R.H. and 81 degrees which is unusual for us at this time of year.  With any wind at all green oak would check badly.  If I had any on sticks I would tarp one side to keep the wind out.  Hot winds in March normally are our problem.

Never had any trouble at all with mold forming.  All I can say is watch your stack, check weather conditions, and observe what takes place.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

D6c

Quote from: Larry on October 21, 2022, 03:03:00 PM
Right now its 23% R.H. and 81 degrees which is unusual for us at this time of year.  With any wind at all green oak would check badly.  If I had any on sticks I would tarp one side to keep the wind out.  Hot winds in March normally are our problem.

Never had any trouble at all with mold forming.  All I can say is watch your stack, check weather conditions, and observe what takes place.
It's been cool but we're going to have a couple of warm windy days this weekend.  Right now it's 82° and 20% RH with a10 mph breeze.
I might throw some plastic around it until the weather cools again.

customsawyer

I think that wall will slow the air movement enough but might depend on which way the wind is blowing.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!