iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Added a couple of wood stoves

Started by Downstream, November 22, 2022, 11:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downstream

I have been looking for a used wood stove for most of the summer to put either in my workshop or possibly in small family room off of kitchen.  Gave up on used and pulled the trigger on a portable wood stove for aux heat in shop to minimize using existing electric.  This unit can be setup in about 15 minutes which means I can pull out at any time for more space or to use elsewhere and pop it back in quickly.  Heat shields and through wall plug are made from 1/8 aluminum we were scrapping at our plant so picked it up for $4 per 33x33 blank.  Works pretty well and will eliminate 80% of electric usage.  

Of course on the same day the new one arrived I saw a post on marketplace only minutes old for a  wood stove that had been sitting in a guys garage for years but never installed.  Handles and firebrick were still in the original boxes.  I was first to respond to ad and snapped it up for $75.  Took me about 20 minutes to get to the guys house and he said he already had 10 others waiting to see if I bought it.  I did a test burn on it the next night and now need to figure out where and how to install in the house.

I'm good for wood this winter but will need to start splitting for next year.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Walnut Beast

What the heck is that little portable stove? Looks really light duty.  I had a cylinder stove for a outfitter wall tent that worked great so if the little thing works without burning 🔥 a log through it. It should be nice

Downstream

Yes that is the type of stove.  This one is made completely out of 304 stainless including the piping.  Even has glass on both sides to give off the classic wood stove glow.  Obviously will not have the life of a heavy plate/cast stove but will only run when I'm out in the shop so not a daily burner.  Build quality and design is crazy good.  There is a heavy grate that keeps wood off of the bottom.  I had alternative uses for this stove other than the shop so it is bonus usage as aux heat out there.  Crazy thing is the pipe and accessories all fit in the body of the stove when disassembled and everything goes into a bag for easy transport.  One of its usages will be like a portable generator for heat if we lose power.  I don't own a wall tent but may add one at some point.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Walnut Beast

Well that's pretty cool! Keep us posted how you like it ( you will )! 

taylorsmissbeehaven

$75 bucks for that wood stove should be in the score of the day threat. Two thumbs up on that deal. Enjoy those heaters!! 
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

aigheadish

I'm interested in the little one too, got a link to it? 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Downstream

Portable stove is made by Winnerwell.  There is a USA distributor.  Mine shipped from California day after ordered and was here in Illinois in about 3 days.  Others have similar in regular steel but this one seemed better in fit and finish and overall design. They have different sizes and shapes with some neat accessories.  All made from 304SS or Titanium.   It would be undersized to fully heat my shop to tee shirt temp but I think it will be great for heating up to hoody temp which I prefer.  I'm far enough south in Illinois to not have too many frigid days thru the winter.  Primary is to minimize using electric heat which I found out yesterday is going up 300% from last years contract price.

aigheadish

Interesting stuff, thanks for the info. I wonder if it'd be enough or worth it to try to help keep my small shop warm enough. The shop is only about 13x22 or so and that also means there isn't a lot of permanent usable space to steal for something like this. I'll keep it in mind. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Walnut Beast

I looked that stove up and that's actually a pretty nice and neat stove! Really nice and nice score on the bigger one! 

Spike60

300% increase on electricity? That is scary.

But that little stove is so cool looking. What did that cost? I don't want to ask 20 different questions, but I hope you'll keep us filled in on how it works, wood size, burn time, temp gain and all.

I'm with you on "hoody temp" for a work shop. If I'm out in the shop anything over 50° is fine.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

bigblockyeti

300% is VERY scary.  I hope that's only regional and doesn't spread everywhere.  I'd love to have wood as an option in addition to electricity and NG but adding a woodstove would be difficult to figure out where I'd put it and what it would do to my homeowner's insurance.

aigheadish

@Spike60 the "big" one appears to be about $430, comes with some piping. They look to sell a kit that appears to come with almost everything you'd need for about $650.

Downstream

That pricing is correct.  I definitely would go with large if you are trying to heat more than tent.  If you don't want side windows you can save$.  Also when I bought they had 10% off if you bought tent kit.  I wanted the triple wall section and silicone thimble to go through window plate anyway.  Also wanted 45s and 90s too.  Also if you don't want windows they had a clearance large without windows and outside air intake cheaper.  I read that these cylinder stoves are better than square for heat expansion. Other key things is the large is 18in deep so I can use std length firewood vs chopping it down.

Spike60

@aigheadish , Thanks; I'll do a little reading on them. I'm more curious than serious, but it's an option to have available. Notably, the get it out of the way feature. My shop is a little smaller than yours, at 12x16. And as I said in the other thread, my Kero and tank top propane heaters have me covered. But.......when I close the store next month, I expect that I'll be spending more time hanging out back there. If prices of K1 and propane get silly, and I'm using more of it, then I'll be taking a closer look at one of these little stoves. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Downstream

I have modified mine in a couple of ways so far.  I added high temp rope gasket around the door to give me a better seal for tighter air damper control.  No smoke issues, but wanted to able damp the air down to control burn better.  You can definately over load/fire this unit so wanted better control to slow down the burn.  Also with this type of smaller stove alot more heat goes right up the flue pipe so I have added a baffle ring around the pipe just above the flue damper to increase heat exchanging.  I may try wrapping a 4 inch aluminum flex hose around the pipe and use a bathroom exhaust fan to slowly push air through it and then out into my shop.  I also bought one of the stove fans that works off of the heat of the stove which works pretty good for warm air flow around the immediate area of the stove.  I may add a small ceiling fan just to better mix the hold/cold air.  As usual I will continue to work on improvements to increase the amount of heat I can pull off this stove.  Final success will be determined after we get a longer cold stretch this winter.  My shop has moderate insulation in the walls since it was already covered over when I bought it.  I added a nice layer of fiberglass above the ceiling and insulated the existing steel door so I am good there.

Downstream

I wanted to provide a quick update on the function of my portable wood stove in my detached workshop this winter.  We are 3/4 thru the worst of our winter and this little stove has worked great.  Real winter months for us are Dec/Jan/Feb.  We even had a stretch of below zero temps Christmas week.  Fully stoked up I was able to get the temps in the shop up to the mid 60s or higher(depending upon outside temps) which is perfect shop temp for me.  My man cave corner(including Lazyboy) near the stove is nice and toasty. It has performed almost flawless other than a few learning curve issues which I have figured out.  I have not turned on the electric heat once yet so should make it through the rest of the winter on wood heat only which means this stove will pay for itself quickly. 

Don P

I have a similar space constraint with workbenches right by the stove. In your pic I see something I noticed on mine this year. When it has been running feel the bottom corner of that wooden top hanging beyond the metal. I have more shield there now but plan to modify things, that wood was hot. And just to be Mom, the kindling point of wood goes down after repeated events like that, it catches easier as time goes on.

Back to, that's a cool little stove  8)

Thank You Sponsors!