iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Portable

Started by Arthur, September 21, 2004, 02:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murf

Maybe it's just the farmer in me, but to me 'portable' depends a whole lot more on what you have to tote sumtin' around with than anything else.

My next door neighbour has a 1/2 ton pickup truck, my 'pickup truck' is 5 ton with a 10 ton knuckle-boom crane on it.

There is a big difference between his 'portable' and mine......
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Arthur

should the definition of portable be that defined in the dictionary or that which we want to fit to the definition for our own benefit???

If so what other definitions are subject to abuse???

8)

Jeff

Trying to narrow the definition of the word portable to exclusively fit a specific application is like trying to narrow the definition for the word sawmill.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

TN_man

Arthur,
I don't know that it is neccessary to distinguish between mills that are "portable" and those that are "transportable". Both are made to be taken to a jobsite whether carried or pulled. Usually, logs have to be manuevered by some means to some extent in either case. I think that people looking at the different mills to purchase can easily see the differences and thus the advantages or disadvantages of each and then decide which is for them. I don't necessarily feel that manufactures are trying to decieve potential customers, do you?
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

FiremanEd

I like the definition by the dictionary of Feltze, as  my mill 'must' be portable by zoning rules.

I figure that I bought in a state away were it was sawing logs, broke it down, loaded it, hauled it home, set up and was sawing in ohh,, about a week. So it's "portable".

I'm printing this thread incase the zoning nazies come snooping...  ;D
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

Arthur

TN_man

Subject was started for a descussion to bring this question to a head.

Most countries have regulations when advertising which I personaly think that some manufactures bend as far as they can.

Most of the mills we manufacture are portable to the fact that one person can carry the parts of the mill from one location to another.  It will take a few trips but can be done by hand and within reasonable distance can be done in good time.

In PNG the village turns out and you can move the mill in one go some distance up the mountains.

We do however have one model which I consider to be transportable do to the fact that unless you can pickup 300kg and carry this on your own its not very portable. and thats only the power unit.

On the other hand our latest baby is only 90kg for the entire mill so the whole thing can be put on your back and carried by one person.  Mind you if you can only pickup 20kg then its not very portable is it.

Ianab

By the same definition the new Saw setup at the local mill must be portable... ::)
They bought it at an auction someplace up in the Pacific Northwest where a fairly new mill was bought out and shut down. They sent my old boss and 3 other guys over to the US to dismantle it and pack it into containers for shipping back to NZ. It's now reassembled and running here in NZ. I believe the move took 3 months and cost around $1/2 million, but compared to the $3mil to get the same setup new they figured it was worth it.

However I'm still not sure if thats a class 5 or 6 ::)

ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

I think we need a multi-million dollar government funded study done by the sawmill manufacturers to determine the definitions. That way the government can class each of us into different tax brachets. If you fit into two or more portable sawmill classes than your tax should be higher than my handheld chain saw class. Oh, I forgot, you'se larger mill owners already paid that higher tax. Back to square one. ;) :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

FeltzE

Ok I agree with the multi million dollar government study, I'll conduct the study, in 6 months review my findings (see if I've changed my mind) 6 months later ask my wife if I'm right.

Study complete .... pay up... :)

I don't agree that if you can break down the mill and set it up in a specified time makes it portable... I think it's the design factor (was it designed to be assembled and disassembled multiple times?) Design factors should allow for ease and speed of assembly without requirements for detailed realignments or multiple sub assemblies being re-assembled...

I pulled an old frick mill from it's moorings last winter, It was not a portable mill, it will however be reassembled one day in the future.

ERic

EZ

My guess is the government has not finish there study yet. Every year that I send in for a renewal of my fenders, they put me in a different class. Which of coarse cost a little higher. >:( This year they have my portable sawing under lawn and gardening. ::) Cant hardly wait for next year. ::)
EZ

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D :D :D

;) cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!