iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Taco 011 - Will This Pump Orientation Work?

Started by LegendsCreekFarm, July 10, 2016, 02:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LegendsCreekFarm

Today is the big day!  Electrical for my main house pump set up has been run and as soon as I get an OK from you guys that my pump orientation is doable, then I am going to make my final pex connection to my Taco 011.

My issue was that the pump would only fit a certain way.  I pulled up the Taco 011 manual here:  http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/FileLibrary/0011Sht.pdf  and chose the middle orientation. 

If I have to go with the first one to correct this then it means I will have to put an elbow on and pipe it down toward the floor and an elbow will reduce flow.  Let me know what you think, here is a photo:

LAZERDAN

How many elbows ?  I thought like that at the start of my build also, worried about friction loss etc.  After the wye strainer, plate exchanger, side arm, shell exchanger, and force air furnace exchanger, and 120 feet of straight line, the taco 011 pushes,circulates just fine.  Don't sweat the small stuff.     Lazerdan   

Holmes

That will be fine.  If you go with the first one the iron pipe size elbow has a larger inside diameter than a pex elbow or pex fittings
Think like a farmer.

LegendsCreekFarm

Thanks guys.  I will install it as shown in the photo.  It just makes it easier for me as the 1" pex I am using is very rigid and the way I ran it into the basement foundation makes it tough to bend if I had to change it for the first orientation as shown in the diagram. By the end of the week my boiler (and main house heat) should be up and running. I couldn't have done it without all your help! I will have more questions. Thanks again!

Roger2561

If I were doing this, I'd put in isolation valves before and after the Taco pump.  If it fails you won't have water pouring everywhere when you have to remove it repair or replacement.  Just my $0.02 worth.  Roger 
Roger

LittleJohn

Quote from: Roger2561 on July 11, 2016, 09:30:30 AM
If I were doing this, I'd put in isolation valves before and after the Taco pump.  If it fails you won't have water pouring everywhere when you have to remove it repair or replacement.  Just my $0.02 worth.  Roger
...and if you get one of FANCY webstone valves with the integrated fill/purge valve it makes your life a bit easier also

LegendsCreekFarm

I do have isolation valves before and after, however, they are not all too close to the flanges.  I expect I will get a little wet when I have to service the pump but the good thing is I have a french drain on my basement floor to catch any spills.

hedgerow

Quote from: LittleJohn on July 11, 2016, 09:50:16 AM
Quote from: Roger2561 on July 11, 2016, 09:30:30 AM
...and if you get one of FANCY webstone valves with the integrated fill/purge valve it makes your life a bit easier also
I have that style of valve on all my pumps and love them makes pump change out a snap and purging air easy. They have been well worth the extra money spent on the install.

trapper

I also put in a few tees with valves for add ons  t with valve another t with valve and a valve on the main line between. one  came handy to add a kickspace heater in kitchen.  easiest to put in valves and t's  when new and dry.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

LegendsCreekFarm

I did tee overkill on my install.  I figured that its better to have the option later without having to rip apart the whole line.  Its cheap enough so why not?

Thank You Sponsors!