iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ticks ticks ticks

Started by HemlockKing, April 27, 2021, 06:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

I've heard that the best "yard-bird" to rid your area of ticks is the Guinea Foul.

When they're cruising, looking for something to eat, they don't scratch up the grass like chickens do, the only other thing is, they're noisy!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Rhodemont

I have been pulling them of my dog for several weeks already.  We typically do not start finding them until late March but with no snow and so warm the underbrush is full of them.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

thecfarm

Guinea hens, we had 2 different flocks. The first bunch got picked off by a fox? or something that liked to eat them. This bunch was good. They would only make noise when someone or something came into the yard that did not belong there. Very good watch dogs.
Then we got another flock. All them things did was quark, all the time. And I mean all the time!!!!. Kinda like a dog that barks steady, after a while you don't go to see why it's barking, because it barks all the time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Quote from: thecfarm on March 07, 2024, 09:16:35 PMKinda like a dog that barks steady, after a while you don't go to see why it's barking, because it barks all the time.
I can understand that.  Kinda makes you start wishing bad things.  :uhoh:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JD Guy

Quote from: Chuck White on March 07, 2024, 08:24:05 AMI've heard that the best "yard-bird" to rid your area of ticks is the Guinea Foul.

When they're cruising, looking for something to eat, they don't scratch up the grass like chickens do, the only other thing is, they're noisy!
True! I'm not that fond of Guinea because they can be noisy and roost in trees (critter magnets)!

thecfarm

I had layers and they were all free ranged. The guineas would go into the pen at night.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodroe

Pulled a fully engorged tick off the back of the dogs neck last week.
After a morning walk got three more deer ticks off him so far today.
Yikes ! 
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

SwampDonkey

Was walking by some moose tracks this morning. Moose was shedding some fur. Seen what looked like a winter tick in some fur. Had a closer look, sure was.  smiley_thumbsdown

Seen my first deer tracks at the woodlot this morning, 2 deer by the looks of them.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

21incher

We have picked 2 off our dog already this month.  Seems early for them  smiley_thumbsdown . 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Ianab

I posted this in a health and safety topic earlier, but it's relevant here too. 

https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/03/tick-killing-pill-shows-promising-results-in-human-trial/

General idea is that there is already a long acting vet drug for dogs, that kills any tick that sucks their blood. It has little effect on the dog, and just stays in the bloodstream, for weeks. But it's lethal to ticks once they start sucking that drugged blood. Idea is that they die and fall off, before they get a chance to infect you with lyme disease. The tick needs to stay sucking for a day or so to infect you with the lyme bacteria, and if it dies before that, no infection. 

Currently they are testing it on humans to makes sure it's safe. Results so far are promising. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

woodroe

I'm on the fence about some of the edible treatments available for pets
from the vet . Basically a poison absorbed into the animals bloodstream that kills the tick after it bites.
 We didn't have a dog for probably 10 years before we
picked up a golden last fall . At least with the light colored hair they are easy to
spot crawling around on top.
Seems like we used Frontline plus previously. A liquid applied between the shoulder blades
once a month. Plus the annual Lyme vaccination.
 Just bought a years supply because it's looking like a bad year for ticks ahead.
We are finding them daily on the dog and a couple dug in too. Deer tick nymphs , tiny .
Surprised that they are active even in cold temps sometimes below freezing it seems.
I'm interested in what others are using on their pets and how its working.

Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

Ianab

Problem is balancing the dose that kills the tick, vs the dose that starts to harm the dog (or human). If you bathed in DDT every day, no ticks would ever bother you. But that's not really a good solution...
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Die of slow poisoning. Seems like a 19th C approach to medicine, more killed than cured and living. History eventually repeats itself. Can't see that working out too well. What will kill insects and bugs will kill man, just takes more of it. I wear protective clothing and haven't sprayed anything on my skin for years. Mosquitoes and deer flies can be brutal. Cover the exposed areas and they become tolerable. It's not 100% but improves your chances 2 fold, no poisons and less chance to be bit.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!