iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill insurance

Started by JBeyer, August 23, 2012, 07:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBeyer

I've decided on a sawmill, most likely the EZ Boardwalk Jr  8) 8) 8) for hobby sawing and if someone wants a few logs done. So would it be a good idea to get some type of "inland marine" insurance for towing down the road ??? And in most cases would personal liability insurance cover you if some moron gets hurt around your milling site on someone else's property? I live in farm coluntry, biggest city is only 60,000. rest of county is towns under 4000 and mostly farm or woods. Would a farm oriented agent be best to check with since I live in m,iddle of farm country? i'm more worried about the liability end of things if doing a job on someone else's property.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

J......Welcome to the Forum.

We don't know what state you live in. But to answer your question, you could call your insurance company. I guarantee you they can give you the right answers.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

To answer your question, Call our sponsor Margeson and Associates and ask for D.J.  They know bandmill insurance. Why? Because they know what a bandmill is for starters.  :) They cover in ALL states.

http://www.mai-ins.com/ins_bandsaw.html
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on August 23, 2012, 08:56:18 PM
To answer your question, Call our sponsor Margeson and Associates and ask for D.J.  They know bandmill insurance. Why? Because they know what a bandmill is for starters.  :) They cover in ALL states.

http://www.mai-ins.com/ins_bandsaw.html

smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

richard lane

Hello, I purchased a policy from Margeson for my mill and edger. I worked with DJ and found the process painless and reasonable. Richard Lane

Magicman

Looks like I missed you earlier JBeyer,  Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

Yes, welcome to the forum!
Insurance is a good thing.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

MAI

Hi JBeyer,
Welcome to the Forum.  Your mill may or may not be covered for physical damage under your auto policy.  It's best to check with your auto insurance agent.  An inland marine policy for physical damage should cover your mill while being towed, while on your property and on someone else's regardless of the state you are in..     Your personal policy "MAY" offer coverage while on your property but if you operate the mill as a business more than likely it will not cover you.  If you are going to do work on someone else's property you need a separate liability policy. 

Okrafarmer

Thanks for posting, MAI, welcome to the forum. I'll be talking to you shortly, I do believe. Others may have some of the same questions I do-- do you have any policy coverage for stationary mill operations, including liability for covering customers and vendors on your property, and do you have any dealings with workman's comp for fixed or mobile sawmill operations that have employees or subcontractors?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

sigidi

I know its a different kettle of fish, but down here public liability insurance for operating my mobile sawmilling business is just on $700AU for 12 months and gives me $10m cover if needed. I can also get bob the cat and my NEW sawmill (Sparky - Carl Weiss is now giving Bo a new home, he better treat her right) covered for fire theft and damage for around another $600AU which also includes $30m liability for damage caused by Bob cause he ain't a road registered vehicle and so doesn't come under the registration third party property damage all our road vehicles have as compulsory insurance down here.
Always willing to help - Allan

drobertson

Welcome JB, I went through the outfit Jeff suggested,  I have dropped them, but am looking at going back, I was glad to here that DJ was still there, he is very helpful.  Nothing like a lil piece of mind,   good luck
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

MAI

Hi Okrafarmer,
Yes, we do offer both property (equipment) and liability insurance in all 50 states for stationary band sawmills operations.  I always like to discuss an owner's operation prior to quoting.
Our program does not offer Workers Comp.
Can I be of any further help?
Thanks,
DJ

Okrafarmer

We may be setting up our sawmill as a separate business soon, in which case I will contact you for a quote as soon as I know what we are doing.  :)

scsmith42

DJ, are y'all offering insurance for swing-blade mills yet?  I recall checking with you a few years back and it was not available; am wondering if things have changed.

Thx.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

MAI

Hi Okrafarmer,  Let me know when you get closer to setting up a business.  I'd be happy to assist you.

Scott,  We still aren't able to offer coverage for a swing-blade mill.  Sorry about that.  Nice to hear from you.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: MAI on September 12, 2012, 10:52:29 AM
Hi Okrafarmer,  Let me know when you get closer to setting up a business.  I'd be happy to assist you.

Scott,  We still aren't able to offer coverage for a swing-blade mill.  Sorry about that.  Nice to hear from you.

Sounds like you better work on that.  :)

Jeff

In my opinion, D.J.'s agency is one of the very view that understands the portable bandmill. They've made their carriers understand that this is not the big bad sawmill your mother never wanted you to work at. The inherent dangers are far less than those of a circle sawmill. That's one big reason why the swingmills can't be lumped in with the portable bandmills, the dangers of the rotating circle saw.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Okrafarmer

Ah, I see. Well, maybe in the future. I understand it would have to be a different policy, a different set of parameters. And probably cost more.

MAI

Well, cost MAY be an issue but being properly covered is more important.  We are able to offer property or liability coverage separately or as a package for the band saw owner.  Plus, the coverage is applicable in all 50 states.

I'm working with two clients, one in the East and one ourt West who both had their mills damaged on someone else's property by another party.  The insurance company began working on their claims promptly and both mills are being repaired.  I've been advising everyone to make sure their milling operation is marked off properly with some type of safety zone.  Many sawyers use Cones, Caution Tape, Wooden Barricades, etc.  One sawyer told me he uses orange cones with 6ft. high bars inserted down the hole of each cone and a reflector on top.  At times he runs Caution Tape from one cone to the next.   Depending on the area you're working in will determine what you need to do.

moosehunter

I am starting to get more road jobs now, have been thinking about the need for insurance and noticed this thread.
I left D.J. a message and looking at his web site see that he is right down the road from me!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

MAI

Hey Moosehunter,
It was great talking with you earlier today and will be sending you a quote asap.  Have a great weekend and enjoy the Elk!
DJ

logboy

MAI, thanks for the email back on my Lucas Mill. Its too bad you guys dont insure swingblade mills.  Is it just the liability factor of a mill that could easily do bodily harm in the hands of the wrong user?  I'm less worried about it being smashed up on the trailer heading to a job site and then I am someone stealing it out of my locked barn.

I've been thinking about sawmill insurance ever since the sawmill shootout in Ohio last year.  One of the guys from Woodmizer was towing a brand new LT70 to the competition and got clobbered in an intersection.  They had to tow it back to the factory and grab a different one. 
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

MAI

Thankfully, Wood-Mizer has insurance on their mills.  I had a person contact me a while back requesting insurance for a replacement mill he was going to buy.  He said he wasn't going to make the same mistake again by not insuring his mill.  I questioned him and he told me his previous mill was struck by lightning and pretty much destroyed.  It was  a $19,000 loss right out of his pocket.  Too bad, for around $375/yr. he could of had it insured. Tough way to learn.

MReinemann

These guys "MAI" are great to work with for anyone looking for insurance for their band mills.  They know the business.  Recently bought a Lt-35HD.  Called my State Farm agent who had not even the slightest idea what I was talking about.  Found DJ through the ad on here and gave him a call.  Left a message called me back within 15mins.  Actually knew what he was talking about.  Told me the ins and outs of what they cover.  Ended up buying the policy.  Had my insurance documents the day that the paper work got faxed to them.  No claims as of now but nice to know someone actually has a clue about the  mobile band-saw industry.
Matt   

Okrafarmer

I think I'm getting closer to needing it!
8)

Well, ok, I guess technically, I already need it, but I mean, I think I'm getting closer to being ready to call you.  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!