iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Frick

Started by KjBarnwood, February 15, 2010, 05:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KjBarnwood

I have a band mill, and I am considering on getting an additional circle mill.  I have never used a circle mill, and I realize that an older mill will most likely have other issues but... 

What is a reasonible price for a good "well used" Frick mill?  I've seen some advertised for around $2,000.  That seems good to me, but ????  What should I expect for that price?  I know of some local farmers that have ones they don't use, and I'm trying to get an idea of what to offer.  Any ideas as to what to look at before buying?

Thanks,
     Keith

whiskers

KjB, If you can get pictures, good ones and or take a circle miller w/ you when you see the mill. Consider what power you'll have, all the better if it's an operating mill. Depending upon your skills the more complete the mill the sooner you'll be sawing w/ it. Blades are right pricey so think about what comes w/ it. Edgers are worth their weight in gold. Ask about other equipment (bits shanks wrenches lacer swage etc.) that might be for sale or better yet part of the package. This is where you might find a deal and as with all purchases, caveat emptor.
Good luck, keep us in the loop.
many irons in the fire.........

Ron Wenrich

A lot depends on what comes with it and what kind of a project its going to be.  I would expect the mill to have at least the head saw.  Things to look for on the carriage is to make sure it has all the dogs.  They have a habit of coming up missing.  Belts can be replaced.  Check out the quality of the wood on the carriage, husk and track.  Replacement can be time consuming and costly.  The headblocks can be worn due to the constant turning of logs.  Take a square to see how bad they are off.  The worse the condition of the mill, the lower the value.

Many mills have additional equipment.  Edgers and power plants are the most common.  The more goodies usually ups the price.  Again, condition will dictate value. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

Keith,don't rush their are alot of decent old handset mills around what was stated above is true I'd say between $1000 and $2000 depending on cond. and whats included.The biggie is the headsaw you want incerted bit and a style that is still available.A diesel power unit is nice if your going to run it much.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!