iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

6 inch piece of wood cost $2000.00

Started by just_sawing, June 26, 2013, 04:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Of the few people I can say I admire it's John Browning.  In case you didn't know who John Browning is, he's the inventor of the Winchester lever rifles, Colt 45 auto model 1911 and many, many others.  All are rugged,  dependable, and easy to maintain.  Every mechanical engineer should study his designs.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

customsawyer

Danny don't get scared yet. I don't know if taking the cab off applies to the gas engine trucks.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

ladylake

I've heard new Ford pickups need the cab taken off to work on quite a few things.  How long does that take.  I haven't bought a Ford in years just due to the fact you barely see the engine.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Bibbyman

Quote from: ladylake on June 27, 2013, 05:09:42 PM

I've heard new Ford pickups need the cab taken off to work on quite a few things.  How long does that take.  I haven't bought a Ford in years just due to the fact you barely see the engine.   Steve

We were looking at Dodge 5500 and Ford F550.   The Ford dealer took me the shop and showed me an F350 with cab and front clip 6" over the chassis.   We went and made a deal on an IH Terrastar.  The front clip hinges forward exposing every thing that needs checked or maintained.  Also, no urea tank.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ladylake

Back when I was trucking I ran IH trucks, built good , reasonable and the most affordable parts of any brand.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Tom the Sawyer

Last year my recently acquired 2001 F350, which had been running fine, wouldn't start.  I tried to figure it out and finally had it towed to my mechanic's shop.  Next day he called and said that it was the fuel pump.  Gave me the price of the part and said, "plus labor".    smiley_thumbsup

When I picked it up the labor seemed pretty steep and I asked, "why so much?"  He said that they had to drain the almost full 40 gallon tank, drop the tank, replace the pump and reinstall the tank.    smiley_thumbsdown

I asked why he didn't just raise the bed (it's an 11' flatbed dump).  It sits there right between the frame rails.  Disconnect the hoses and electric plug, remove the lock ring, remove pump - reverse.  Should have taken about 10 minutes.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

clww

Tom-That would have made sense! I'll bet the Ford Repair Manual didn't tell them to do it like that, though. ::)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

beenthere

QuoteI asked why he didn't just raise the bed

If towed in, maybe the engine wouldn't run to work the hydraulics?
Or was it 12v hyd. pump?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WoodenHead

Quote from: grweldon on June 27, 2013, 09:03:48 AM
As far as design engineers, as stated, most don't have any hands-on experience with anything other than design software, but.... With 3D modeling software, it is very easy to see what interferes with what and gives the designer the opportunity to fix it.

To me, a design engineer, design for manufacturability included designing for service and repair.  Too bad manufacturers don't see things my way!  :D

+1

Speaking as an electrical engineer, I know that many of my classmates had no idea how to build even a simple circuit on a bread board in the lab.  I often had to help them out.  They didn't know how to solder.  They couldn't tell the difference between a resistor and a capacitor.  But they could do the math and physics.

When I got my first job I soon learned that you couldn't do everything you wanted to in terms of design.  Whatever added cost, be that material or labour, was quickly dismissed even if it was the right thing to do.  In my second job (writing test programs to test military and aerospace computers in manufacturing) the same pressure to get something into the hands of the customer as quickly and cheaply as possible still was the rule of the day.  Despite the critical nature of what we built, doing what was right did not always jive with what management wanted.  I have no problem with doing things better to save money, but not blindly cutting things for profit.  In the end my conscience bothered me and I changed careers.   ;)

Unfortunately though, I think the culture is firmly engrained in industry to build things faster and cheaper (most often at the expense of all else) not necessarily better.  So don't be surprised to see that someday you'll have to take your car apart to change your oil filter!  (Hopefully kidding   :D)     

barbender

Bibby, John Browning was a genius that just happened to take interest in firearm design, I think if he would have gotten his kicks from thermonuclear fusion or something, a lot more people would know who he was ;) It amazes me when I look over the catalog of successful firearms designs he had.
Too many irons in the fire

Dan_Shade

John Browning Is The Reason The Allied Powers Won WW1 And WW2
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Tom the Sawyer

clww,
He said he didn't see the large yellow control box on the console until he had finished the job and got in the truck to make sure it started.  I'm surprised he didn't notice the big hydraulic piston while he was under it to drop the tank.

beenthere,
It is a 12v, hydraulic powerpack.

Oh well, I wasn't there when he diagnosed it or I would have told him.  Live and learn.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

rmack

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on June 27, 2013, 09:07:56 PM
clww,
He said he didn't see the large yellow control box on the console until he had finished the job and got in the truck to make sure it started.  I'm surprised he didn't notice the big hydraulic piston while he was under it to drop the tank.

beenthere,
It is a 12v, hydraulic powerpack.

Oh well, I wasn't there when he diagnosed it or I would have told him.  Live and learn.

I used to get angry in situations like that, now I just politely pay the bill and never go back there as long as I live.  :D
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Thank You Sponsors!