iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Points on Stakes

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, June 26, 2013, 03:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I couldn't find any pics in the search.....so I took a few.

When you work by yourself as I do, sometimes things are a little challenging.
I had to saw about 45 stakes for the guys to square up our building.

Its hard to hold the skill saw and saw points on a stake. It kills my wrist.
Plus it takes a little time.
So I just rigged up a few blocks to hold the stakes and let the mill saw the points. It worked great and really cut down on the time.  I'm sure some of you guys have done this, but this is my first time. The End.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clww

That's pretty nifty thinking, David. 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

drobertson

Not bad, looks like a heck of a point, good idea man,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jim_Rogers

Before we bought a chop saw to point stakes we cut them on the mill, with a jig we made to hold piece like dominoes laying down. We'd load up 5 or 6 pieces of oak, clamp them and slice through all of them on one side, flip them all over and slice through the other side.
Then stand the blanks up on edge and cut them to 1" squares.
We changed to a chop saw to free up the mill to make more lumber.
We changed from the chop saw to a pointer to make the point faster. And on larger pieces.
Hay bale and surveyor stakes are 1 inch square, but we also make "tree stakes" for staking out newly planted small trees, and they are 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 8'
I have used this method to make very large wedges for black top companies to use to load their highway rollers onto their flat bed trailers.
I seem to cut wedges for them at least once or twice a summer.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

cutterboy

Now, that's a sharp point! You could use that stake for a weapon. :D  David, that was a clever idea. I'm going to remember that.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on June 26, 2013, 05:44:44 PM

I have used this method to make very large wedges for black top companies to use to load their highway rollers onto their flat bed trailers.
I seem to cut wedges for them at least once or twice a summer.

Jim Rogers

Good information Jim! I knew somebody on here had done this but I couldn't find any pics in the search.
This method works great for me.  :)

clww

David-It seems that wisdom does follow age. ;D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Jim_Rogers

here is one shot:

This is the beginning:

Then this:

After you get this:

The wedges in this series of photos appears to be pine.
I normally make them out of red oak. And I've made them all sorts of sizes.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

bandmiller2

I cut tomatoe stakes for a community farm and have found the best way for me is to use a table saw.If you do be sure to wear eye protection. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WDH

David,

You are one sharp dude.  Just wait till you turn 58. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pineywoods

I use the same technique to saw out wheel chair ramps...all 1 solid piece.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

JohnM

Holy mackerel David, how big are your vampires down there?! :o ??? ;) :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Macgyver

Piston,
Look around to see if you have an untapped market for the byproduct....doorstops! I originally thought of this as a joke, but now that I think about it, every small sharp piece of wood I've ever had has disappeared because someone needed a doorstop...hmmm...maybe we're on to something here...
Smile! It confuses people

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Macgyver on June 27, 2013, 12:15:10 PM
Piston,
Look around to see if you have an untapped market for the byproduct....doorstops! I originally thought of this as a joke, but now that I think about it, every small sharp piece of wood I've ever had has disappeared because someone needed a doorstop...hmmm...maybe we're on to something here...
[/q smiley_thumbsupuote]

Good idea. Only a person named Macgyver would think of this.  :D Very good.

Sawdust Lover

What a great idea! And I've been using a bandsaw this whole time.

Thank You Sponsors!