iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stuff Happens...Again

Started by Magicman, June 25, 2013, 02:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

My all time best customer called me last Wednesday saying that he needed a whack of ERC sawed.  It seems that a guy from Jasper County, Texas was there to pick up a load of ERC and it was more than he could haul.  He has an LT30 and was intending to saw the logs when he got them to Texas, but now he needed help.  He could haul the lumber, but not the logs.

We started early and worked late and got these ~30 ERC logs sawed for their trip to Texas.  So far so good.

I arrived at the job site this morning to find that the customer had really worked hard since Thursday getting his logs bucked and staged for sawing.  So far so good.

I first had to move the sawmill and get set up on the freshly stacked whack of logs.  Cranked up, put the blade on, and then a loud squeal.... :o  Belt slipping and the fan blade is not turning.  Not good.   :-\   The radiator has to come off to get to the fan, etc.

I have found something that will not turn.

Log top dis-assembly reveals two frozen bearings, so now it is off to the parts store.

A freshly rebuilt fan bearing assembly, but the new belt will not be here until tomorrow morning.   All in the life of a portable sawyer.  Thankfully it did not happen last week when I was on the road sawing.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

No doubt about it, stuff does happen, looks like you got the handle on it for sure,  I can only imagine you guys are having the heat we are, not the most pleasant thing, but doable, hope all goes well for you guys and the Texan gets back home safe,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

I forgot to mention that we whacked out 2400 bf of various widths of 1"X 16' ERC for him.  That is lotsa log handling.  Then he wanted eight 16' 4X4's.  He was happy and I was paid.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Yes, stuff does happen Lynn.

Three weeks ago I was sawing Red Oak and noticed my Alt. light was on, I nearvously looked around and notice the alternator belt is just laying limp and shredded.  :o

I pulled it out and had to make a 20 mile round trip to get another one, got back and the belt was too long, another 20 mile trip and got back and the belt was too short, took off again and got the one in-between and guess what, just right!  ::)

It's just stuff that comes with the territory.  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ladylake

Every mill breaks down, just fix it and don't whine.  Good job Lynn.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

thecfarm

The more stuff you have,the more stuff happens.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

MM,

Not many people have a southern red oak (Quercus falcata) repair table  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

:D  Yup, That Cherrybark log will become decking for the customer's lowboy trailer.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: WDH on June 25, 2013, 09:24:48 PM
MM,

Not many people have a southern red oak (Quercus falcata) repair table  :D.

Not many guys have circlip retainer pliers in their toolbox either...... So Lynn, do you carry every tool you own with you on portable jobs?  :laugh:

Magicman

It is probably surprising how few tools that I actually carry, but I am a mechanic at heart. I am using an open 15" Crescent wrench as an anvil and the Blue Creeper loosened several stubborn things up.  I generally have what is necessary to handle most field repairs, but I could not press the new bearings in.   ;D

tyb525

Press bearings in?? I thought everyone tapped them in with a big socket and a hammer. ;) yikes_smiley At least it's worked for me so far :-X
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Magicman

The largest socket that I had  was 1 1/16".  This needed a 1 1/8" to firmly contact the bearing race plus I have a friend whose shop is close to the Napa store.   ;D  Sometimes things just work out.   smiley_thumbsup

I'll pick up my fan belt at 7:00 and get this thing back together and saw Cypress today.   :)

Barney II

It is somewhat gratifying to read about these problems because now I know that   I  am not the only one that this stuff happens to,  whew.  ;D ;D ;D
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

WoodenHead

Quote from: Magicman on June 25, 2013, 10:35:29 PM
It is probably surprising how few tools that I actually carry, but I am a mechanic at heart. 

I've read most of your posts about the repairs you make on the road.  You certainly do a lot with a few tools!  :)

Magicman

I got the fan belt on and the radiator re-installed early this morning and started sawing Cypress (scientific name:  Swampus largus buttus)   ;D

We made good progress until about ½ hour before quitting time and then the engine would not rev up when the clutch was engaged.

This is my 12th year of sawing and this will be the second time that the throttle cable spring has broken.  As many thousands of times that the clutch has been engaged, that ain't too bad.  I could look back and see when I replaced it, but it really does not matter anyway.

I shut er down for the Holiday.  I'll order the new cable tomorrow morning and put it on on (Tom) the 8th when I go back to sawing.  It's time for time off so I can finally finish the Cabin Addition before the 4th.   ;D

redbeard

I've been using music wire for throttle cable for the last several years and when I ordered some engine parts from Kohler I bit the bullet and payed the 40 dollar bill for a new throttle assembly. Its funny how you get by with farm repairs but there's nothing like getting that new factory part. works so smooth.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Magicman

I could have "fixed" this one, but I did not have my tachometer with me to set the engine speed, so I just buttoned it all up and called it quits.

I did look back in my records, and I had replaced that throttle cable in February, 06.  This failure was the throttle spring that was not replaced in '06.  This time, both get replaced.

Thank You Sponsors!