iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log saver

Started by Busysawyer, August 28, 2018, 08:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busysawyer

Any of you guys using the uc coatings log saver or flitch savers? My veneer buyer uses them when he comes to buy logs and has put some in my other logs for me while he's here but I want my own hammer and savers.  Just curious how many of you guys use them . I was thinking of going with the smaller flitch saver and using it on logs and live edge slabs that have a split. 
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

WV Sawmiller

I'm interested in this too. Seems like I saw some they had that were plastic so if you accidentally sawed them did not damage the blade.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Busysawyer

I ordered the flitch saver, the smaller of the two options. I talked to the veneer buyer and he said that's the one he's been using. He said on a large log with a big split just hammer in a few to stitch the crack. He said the mill cuts through the plastic like its not even there. It's a little expensive for what is essentially a hammer but I was assured with the logs I deal with it would pay for itself in just a few nice logs. 

Lawg Dawg

Do you also anchor seal after the log savers...intrested in how this works out for you!   Not sure if it'd be worth the investment for me , because I mostly saw self sealing southern yellow pine.  It seals itself and anything around it
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Busysawyer

Ld, I have been anchor sealing the logs when they are cut and the veneer buyer has been putting in flitch savers in the logs he buys as soon as we agree on the sale. 
My goodies from uc coatings showed up today.  Pail of anchor seal , backpack sprayer, flitch saver hammer and 1000 count box of the savers. The backpack sprayer works a lot better than the pump sprayer I've been using. 

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

chep

We use them in ash a lot
Especially when logs are going to sit around (thanks e.a.b. flooding ash mills) It's amazing how ash checks up during the hot weather.
Being a forwarder op I see the checking and got to do something about it...

Busysawyer

Chep, I noticed in your picture the log above the hammer has three savers near the outside of the log. How do you decide where to place them? Do you ever use multiples on the same crack?

chep

You want to stop the split from widening. So start the outside corners and work in. In the pic I posted I am just trying to stop the split and those logs are medium quality.
Yes in a really nice log we will do more then 1 per crack for sure, stitch them up like frankenstein. It's worth it and log buyers really appreciate it.  Shows you care.
but it is time consuming and gets old pretty quick as you will learn.
It's hard to do in a sloppy pile when the logs aren't lined up well, bruised knuckles and such... and the motion to make it happen takes a bit of practice.

Thank You Sponsors!