iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New guy with New MS250

Started by BWeist, August 07, 2019, 06:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BWeist

Hi All.

New to the forum's and pretty new to chainsaws.
Wife and I have recently retired to the Kootenay's in southern BC.
I picked up a new Stihl MS250 with an 18in bar and PPE  a little over a month ago at a dealer about an hour from home (Creston). I know its only a homeowner saw, but it was the best I could afford at the time.
So far I have a couple hr's use on the saw and love it. Primary use for it will be general yard maint. and cleanup maybe firewood at some point. Recently I helped a neighbor clear a cedar that was blown down in a storm that was blocking the driveway. I am fortunate that a friend of ours is a logger by trade and is happy to mentor and keep me from doing something stupid (other than buy a Stihl - he is a Husky guy  :D)

Been lurking the forums and picking up bits of info about the MS250. Great wealth of knowledge here - 

Thanks
Bill

samandothers

Welcome Bill!

I have had a MS250 for years and it was my only saw for a while.  But at the time time I was only  doing homeowner stuff and it was plenty for what I needed.  Even after obtaining more land and my saw mill it did the majority of the work.  I recently added a bigger saw to help with downing and backing some larger stuff.

Good to hear the PPE.  I hope it includes chaps or saw pants to protect your legs.  Also good to hear you have someone to mentor and train you.

Be careful / safe

BWeist

Quote from: samandothers on August 07, 2019, 07:07:36 PM
Welcome Bill!

I have had a MS250 for years and it was my only saw for a while.  But at the time time I was only  doing homeowner stuff and it was plenty for what I needed.  Even after obtaining more land and my saw mill it did the majority of the work.  I recently added a bigger saw to help with downing and backing some larger stuff.

Good to hear the PPE.  I hope it includes chaps or saw pants to protect your legs.  Also good to hear you have someone to mentor and train you.

Be careful / safe
Good to hear that the 250 is treating you well.
Chaps were #1 on the list before even firing up the saw at home. 
Bill

firefighter ontheside

While I'm sure pro saws are better, my old 025 has been a great saw for 20 years.  All I've had to do was rebuild carb one time.  I bought a 291 a few years ago for my "bigger" saw and it's been fine, but I think I'm gonna trade it for a 261 or even a 362.

My 025 has done a lot of work and never let me down.  I'm sure yours will treat you well.  Don't be bothered when someone talks bad about a homeowner saw.

Oh, and my name is Bill.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

MAF143

There is a lot of knowledge here and on the internet but be careful to listen to the guys that know what they are doing.  There are some very good tutorial videos out there.  

I'm not a pro and not even close, but I cut a lot of firewood and logs for our sawmill.  I'm currently clearing 8 acres to plant Black Walnut next spring and my go to saw for most everything is my MS250 but I use a larger saw for bucking anything over 8" or so.  I did muffler mods to both saws and that added a lot of punch but they are louder now.

As mentioned before, WELCOME and STAY SAFE.  PPE and ear protection... and use that head for more than keeping your helmet on...

Good cutting and hope your 250 keeps performing for years to come.  I know I like mine and it has a big bang for the $ at least for my situation.
Always having a great day!
Husky 357 self ported, MS 250 MM, MS 362  MM, HM-126, Ferguson TO-35, '04 F-250 wood cuttin' truck, splitter, Woodland Mills Grindlux 4000 sharpener, Vogelzang Ponderosa keeping us warm

HolmenTree

Welcome to the forum Bill,
The only complaint I heard from novice homeowners about the MS250 is it's hard to pull the starter rope.
Upon inspection I found nothing wrong with it and the little saw's power impressed me.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

BWeist

Its almost funny .. neighbor was out working with his new saw today .. guess what - 'nother MS250.
Got twins on the block now  :D

DelawhereJoe

I imagine that saw would benefit from the new .325 nk chain. The dealers in Delaware have no idea about the chain it could only be available currently in Canada.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

BWeist

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on August 14, 2019, 05:45:46 PM
I imagine that saw would benefit from the new .325 nk chain. The dealers in Delaware have no idea about the chain it could only be available currently in Canada.
To be honest, I never even thought to check to see if they had them in stock. I will do that the next time I am there.

MAF143

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on August 14, 2019, 05:45:46 PM
Opening up the flow with a muffler mod and a carb adjustment makes a nice upgrade on the MS250 as well.  I didn't even wait till the warranty had expired to open my muffler up.  It responded well to it.  I live out in the country so the extra noise isn't a problem as all my close neighbors (1/4 mile or so) react to hearing a chainsaw by getting their saws out and gettin' it done too.  Might not be a great idea if a lot of your cutting is in a residential area though.
Always having a great day!
Husky 357 self ported, MS 250 MM, MS 362  MM, HM-126, Ferguson TO-35, '04 F-250 wood cuttin' truck, splitter, Woodland Mills Grindlux 4000 sharpener, Vogelzang Ponderosa keeping us warm

ButchC

Welcome,  I bought a 250 when they were blowing them out to make room for the then new 251s. I keep it on my chipper. I had them switch it over (bar, clutch and chain) to the 3/8 PS chain and it is a darn impressive saw for the money.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Thank You Sponsors!