iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OWB failure for the day

Started by Ed, January 19, 2022, 01:06:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

This was a first. 15yo Heatmor.
Dad calls, no heat.
Yea ok, he forgot to turn the stove on when he filled it, nope? Temp was good.
Go inside, cold feed line. Phooey, bad pump. Replace pump, still no water flow?
Add water to prime new pump, nope, no flow.
There is a drain valve before the pump that was leaking a little, bad seal.
It would've been leaking worse but the pump suction made it draw air instead of leaking water out....got to the point pump was sucking air, not water
Removed valve, put in a plug, added water to prime and back in business.

Something new learned that I'll just forget.....

Ed

mike_belben

This week i learn that one little air bubble anywhere in a loopwill prevent a taco/grundfos style centrifugal circulator pump from priming, even when fully flooded with water.

The solution is to build your system with valves and tees so that you can hook a city pressure garden hose to your loop, isolated from your tank, to ram water through the lines and exchangers, and pushing the air pockets through.   If you force in the opposite direction of your normal circulator traffic, it also blows out the rusty trash stuck in your radiators and dumps it on the ground. 

Im calling it the flush ports and will never fail to incorporate them again.  I took a pump apart over and over trying to get prime when my hvac buddy said hook up city water and ram the air out. Took the garden hose 10 seconds. I left it connected as my fill line. 
Praise The Lord

Ed

Been set-up with a pressure fill from day one. Ran a waterline close to the pump/plumbing then use a short hose to connect. Hose is removed unless its in use. Shutoffs allow me to fill in the flow direction or flush if needed.

Ed

dave_dj1

I plumbed a fill line with a ball valve right off my cold water supply line. I have to add a little water every couple of weeks or so. I have a Heatmore with the incorrect ball so I'm guess evaporation as I have never seen any wet/damp spots. Quick and easy to add some.

Thank You Sponsors!