The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Running problems Husqvarna 246 and Shindaiwa 457S probably bad fuel issues  (Read 358 times)

Offline ellinghamso

• Member*
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post

I have an old Husqvarna 246 and a Shindaiwa 457S which both start with some effort and then die in a few seconds, stall if I try to rev up. Both carburettors cleaned and fuel filters blown with compressed air through fuel hose. Both have been running a couple of months with 2 year old fuel, some over rich (4% oil). I now suspect clogged spark arrestors, but can't find a mesh on either. Tried to split the Husqvarna muffler, is it supposed to come apart? Anyone able to help?

Offline Air Lad

• Wood is good
    • Share Post
Obviously some fresh fuel. Mabye some fuel additive that can clean the system if they will run.
You could see how they go without mufflers for a bit to eliminate the clogged arrester theory.

Offline hedgerow

• Share Post
Your gas must hold up better than mind does. When my gas has been around more than a couple months I notice my saws get hard to start and don't run at there peak. If its more than a month old I just put it in the pickup and start with fresh. I try to time my cutting so I don't end up with almost a full can of mix if we are not going to be cutting for a while. 

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
Where are you located? You may not have spark arrestors. I believe they're unique to the US, at least in year's past. It'll most likely be one of the last things before the exhaust hits the atmosphere, so if it exists, you should be able to see it with the muffler installed on the saw. It's also a maintenance/replacement part, so I wouldn't expect it to be hard to get to if you have one. You might need a carb rebuild, especially if it's sat with corn gas in it.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Stihl MS 180C running problems, bogging down, fuel starvation??

Started by rstarkie on Chainsaws

19 Replies
Last post December 23, 2018, 02:43:07 PM
by Air Lad
xx
E-10 fuel eats Shindaiwa fuel pick-up tubes

Started by jteneyck on Chainsaws

8 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 02:31:36 PM
by jteneyck
xx
Stihl MS 261 CM, Shindaiwa 491 S or Husqvarna 550 XP