iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sugaring newbie

Started by doc henderson, September 15, 2020, 05:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

remember last year, the soft maple sap was already bitter in earl Feb.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

mike_belben

Is it ever sweet?  I wonder if thats a soil mineral or microbial issue or what ..?
Praise The Lord

doc henderson

from what I have read, any tree that buds will have an off taste.  this was bitter and lingered like steroid suspension.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

mike_belben

I got no flow for weeks when i tapped too soon.

Ive never been to kansas.. Is it a more temperate climate than im thinking?  I thought it was harsher winters than tennessee?  Is it ever cold enough for ice fishing?
Praise The Lord

doc henderson

It is up and down.  it felt like fall until recently.  low of 4 with wind chill -15° last week.  today long sleeves.  but have a week of 20s at night and 36 to 45 during the day.  it is early, but if these put out sap, I will tap more.  test taps.  soft maples are a no go.  but a few hard maple yard trees put out sap that is good.

kantuckid

Same gardening zone 5 as KY is KS where I from. Before el nino, AKA-crazy weather, I ice skated most winters in KS then finally sold the skates in KY. The tip of KY and near TN it is milder than KS but KS is also milder in the Ozarks, SE corner and western KS at high elevations. Knoxville, TN where two of our kids live is roughly 2 weeks different/earlier in spring than us in E KY and more like zone 4. E TN, up high is colder, more like E & central KY.
Wind is a major factor in KS due to perennial winds. KS has far more sunshine days than does KY. One reason the USAF is there in the past is flight days available. Many people don't realize how much the # of sunshine days vary around the country. 

I need to get rid of my syrup pan and taps as we tend to not return from FL in time for the early sap flows.
In KY most years the season for sap flow is suitable but shortened vs. up north & NE & Canada. I only tap sugar maples on our land, never any other tree.
The man & wife I've bought my syrup from in NY state last few years are worthy people. She lost her longtime job, he got disabled and so they installed gravity flow taps and now he and she are able to be self-employed on their land from syrup.
My pan is SS fits a barrel stove (already built and used) and I've got maybe 75-80 taps w/tubing and buckets w/lids for collection here in E KY.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

doc henderson

our new gallon milk jugs have sweat to 1 inch of sap so far.  only one day above freezing.  will barely hit 35 today.  we are basically monitoring for good flow and will then tap more.  last year was good walnut syrup.  maple soft is already budding.  i may try the sycamore again.   

Thank You Sponsors!