The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Greenhouse, clear roof or opaque?  (Read 727 times)

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
    • Share Post
Greenhouse, clear roof or opaque?
« on: November 03, 2020, 04:40:15 PM »
Going to build a greenhouse using old windows. Any thoughts on whether to have a clear roof or can an opaque roof be used? Will windows only around the sides be enough light?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
Re: Greenhouse, clear roof or opaque?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 10:54:05 PM »
Clear will probably do you better but if things are getting sunburned they are sometimes covered with various weights of shadecloth or whitewashed to make them more opaque. Depends on the season, crop and your conditions. Venting is used more for controlling temperature, most of the time you want light hitting the leaves, just drawing a distinction between shading for sunburn vs trying to use it to control temp at the expense of photosynthesis.

The walls won't give enough light but used windows on the roof are likely to trap water rather than quickly shedding water off the panes. I'm envisioning a pool at the lower edge of every pane.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 03:06:58 AM »
I agree that the windows would trap water and have no plan to use any in the roof. I have tin already and wondered if I could get away with that or should I try to scrape up enough green for clear panels.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 08:36:24 AM »
You could grow some houseplants by the windows but without more light from the roof it won't be able to produce much.

I had a client that wanted one of those lean to prefab greenhouses, think McDonald's, built on the side of the kitchen. I tried to talk them out of it but ended up doing it. Without a way to close that room off it turned the kitchen into an oven, the light was harsh, a disaster. What they wanted in reality was that "Florida room", and that is what another contractor did several years later. The glass roof was too much solar gain for human comfort.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline DMcCoy

• Share Post
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 10:30:30 AM »
 I don't know your specific climate but here in Oregon at our nursery we use shade cloth (47%) on our houses during summer, it reduces the need for water and most of what we grow does better in a semi- sun or semi shade location.
With a clear roof you can add shade during the summer.
There are so many variables to your questions.  What you intend to grow and during what time of the year all play a factor.  If part of what you grow needs full sun you can create mini shade structures inside your greenhouse for plants that require shade.  We have an area for propagation that is almost "black out" it gets ambient light from the sides is all, but this is propagation not growing, and summer only.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Clear Span Roof Truss Calculator

Started by Sedgehammer on Timber Framing/Log construction

151 Replies
Last post November 13, 2019, 10:35:03 AM
by Don P
xx
roof'in people, is a metal covered hip roof practical?

Started by Modat22 on General Board

24 Replies
Last post December 15, 2005, 01:56:48 PM
by Phorester
xx
Building a 6/12 roof over a 3/12 roof (need recommendations)

Started by CharlieCG36 on General Woodworking

4 Replies
Last post June 17, 2015, 10:53:31 PM
by Don_Papenburg
xx
Floating a second roof for shade above first roof....

Started by metroplexchl on Alternative methods and solutions

15 Replies
Last post December 04, 2018, 10:47:01 PM
by Woodpecker52