The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: please critique my solar ideas  (Read 760 times)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: please critique my solar ideas
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2021, 02:17:42 PM »
Could a variable frequency drive be added to the existing well pump to cut start load amps? Thats how these super efficient ductless split AC compressors are doing it.  Someone with PLC experience could probably snatch a VFD from a scrapped minisplit and program it to run other things.  Im not that guy but maybe someone here is. 
Psalm 37:16

Offline peakbagger

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2021, 06:05:16 AM »
You can add variable speed drive to an existing well pump. Franklin Electric sells a "subdrive" for 2 wire pumps and monodrive for 3 wire pumps. A 3 wire pump (actually 3 wires and a ground) has an external capacitor box while a 2 wire does not. Installing one means you switch the house over to constant pressure operation instead of high low. It also gets rid of pump surges on startup which really help it you are running on a generator. The pump rarely if ever runs at full speed so it lasts longer. The only downside is cost. I think the Subdrive is around $700 while the Monodrive is around $1,400. Strongly recommended is a whole house surge suppressor on the main electrical panel to protect the electronics. The surge suppressor that is used in the solar industry is a Midnight Solar SPD as it shunts power to ground at lower level than most of them.

One other comment is that many homes have real crappy grounding systems. If the ground system is not set up correctly, the well pump gets zapped. The well casing needs to be bonded to the house ground rods that the main panel is connected to with a heavy gauge wire located outside the wire conduit in the trench and it should be routed directly to the ground rods without going into the house.  

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2021, 10:45:11 AM »
 smiley_thumbsup
Psalm 37:16

Offline tmarch

• I'm older, maybe not wiser tho
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2021, 04:03:13 PM »
First I would get and install a solar pump system on preferably a separate well to irrigate your garden and have it coupled to you other uses so at least you would have water available when the power go's out.  This would be a relatively inexpensive project that will give you an Ida about how solar will help your usage.  Keep in mind that water is more important than a lot of things for life.
I installed that configuration on several of my pasture wells, when I saw how that worked I installed my grid tied system in 2012.  It is over half paid for in electric savings since that time so I consider it a good investment.  I can turn a valve and furnish water to homestead if the power does go out.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
solar kiln ideas

Started by Joey Grimes on Drying and Processing

0 Replies
Last post September 05, 2015, 08:10:03 PM
by Joey Grimes
moved
MOVED: solar kiln ideas

Started by chet on Sawmills and Milling

0 Replies
Last post September 06, 2015, 08:24:33 AM
by chet
xx
Solar kiln w/ aux. heat not drying, any ideas?

Started by Kelvin on Sawmills and Milling

0 Replies
Last post January 27, 2004, 04:53:02 AM
by Kelvin
xx
Solar kiln w/ aux. heat not drying, any ideas?

Started by Kelvin on Drying and Processing

13 Replies
Last post January 28, 2004, 06:41:07 PM
by HORSELOGGER