The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: helping out a buddy.  (Read 1154 times)

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
Re: helping out a buddy.
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2021, 07:44:47 AM »
One of the young guys at the firehouse is finishing his basement.  Me and the other guys at the house have been helping him along with advice, but he's pretty good with construction as it is.  Recently he was getting ready to rebuild the stairs to the basement.  He had bought a yellow pine premade stair tread that had bullnose and all.  I don't remember what the price was, but it was not cheap.  I told him he was going to have to rip it down to 10" and that since it was yellow pine why didn't he just buy some 2x10s and plane them and then route a bullnose.  He said he would do that.  I brought one of my planers to work the next week so he could plane his boards.  I suggested that he plane each piece on both sides and keep going until he got all treads to have a good side.  I think he ended  up with about 1 3/8" treads.  The following week he was going to do the bullnose and had brought a borrowed router and the 3/4" roundover bit he had bought.  He discovered the router had 1/4" shank and the bit was 1/2" which was not surprising for such a large bit.  He was bummed that he would not be able to get the treads done that day, so I suggested that he come to my house after work the next morning and use my router table to get it done.  He showed up about 9 and I put his bit in the router and showed him how to use it.  I watched him do a few to make sure he would be safe and then left him alone.  After he was done he said he had no use for the bit, so he gave me the bit.  The next time at work he showed me the stairs and he had done a very nice job staining and installing them.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2021, 08:09:44 AM »
Mail boxes ,hmm .Seems to be great sport for country bumkin crowd to take target practice on with beverage bottles ,rocks and baseball bats .On top of that snow plows get their share of them too .I had a spare box set in a 5 gallon bucket full of stone for about 2 months because the ground was frozen and I could not drill a new hole .
The welder  ,Lincoln "tombstone " good machines .The older ones ,copper wound didn't even need a cooling fan ..I've got an antique Lincoln in my shop ,circa 1940 that has a movable core no fan .In my garage at the house a Marquette multi tap my dad had .No fan, might have came over on the Mayflower .Oldies but goodies just like me :)

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2021, 08:55:24 AM »
teaching the woodworking merit badge at scouts last evening.

please note the use of safety equipment for teaching purposes including my original pair of Carhart suspenders.  Dr. John Fan was in attendance and took the pic.  @Skeans1 .  my wife is not a fan of me in suspenders, so I wear them most everyday, especially doing flooring and other jobs bending up and down.   :)
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2021, 01:51:01 PM »
Dang doc, I was just thinking to myself and I said Self, thats only the 2nd thread that youve seen doc in without his beard that youve grown accustomed to seeing in his avatar, so youre going to have to mention it to him when the time is right. Well, this seems as good a time as any. 

Sorry about the derailment folks, it was bothering me. Boy, do I feel better. 
Trying harder everyday.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2021, 01:57:34 PM »
my threads tend to plow a wide girth.   yes I kept the avatar pic, but normally have a beard mid October to at least Jan.  and if camping in the winter, til latter Feb.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2021, 10:26:13 PM »
Doc, I just saw this welder modification and I am going to borrow it for my older version of the same welder if you don't mind. You lots of "good works" there btw.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2021, 10:34:56 PM »
you bet.  it was not my idea, but installed on an old buzz box that was given to me.  it appears they are made to do that.  tractor supply 2 inch front swivel caster with a 3/8th inch bolt.  back wheels with 1/2 inch axle and hole size, with 10 inch wheels.  got the axle caps in the same hardware isle.  handle out of sucker rod.  go for it!

Offline Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2021, 07:33:44 PM »
Mine had little wheels maybe from a maybe a small kids wagon either way they were way too light the little tires came off and the axle bowed as well.  I took them off.  It would be nice sometimes  if it was more  mobile. 

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2021, 09:26:04 PM »
take some measurements and figure the difference from the front with a caster vs the radius of a wheel on an axle.  take a tape measure to the store.  lol

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2021, 06:44:09 AM »
Would a 2 wheeler, dolly do it too?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2021, 08:47:22 AM »
that is a good idea.  you would have to tip it, and this can follow being pulled by the leads, (prob. not the best idea).

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2021, 09:10:10 AM »
Much could be said about the Lincoln "tombstones " .The really old ones were a multi tap ,no selector switch .Followed  by the copper wound with a  switch  and then later aluminum  wound .If I'm not mistaken one variation had a rectifier and thus the option of DC but at a reduced heat range . Lincoln must have made millions of them .

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2021, 07:56:44 PM »
My "Cabin" Lincoln "tombstone" is permanently ratchet strapped to a two wheel dolly.  I attached a tool tray on the back to hold stuff like c-clamps, chipping hammer, wire brush, etc.  A screwtop welding rod canister is zip tied to an upright.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2021, 09:41:41 PM »
I've burned a lot of rod with those tombstones. They'll lay a better quality bead than me🤷🏽‍♂️
Too many irons in the fire

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2021, 09:57:01 AM »
Aluminum is a cheaper copper replacement that seems to have come about as a consequence of wartime shortage or atleast diversion of copper.  The issue is a thermal one.  Copper is more stable tham aluminum so as the machine runs on and on a copper wound unit will have a more consistent arc from first strike to last than an aluminum one. 

Aluminum wound welders need tweaking to stay steady as they get hot and cool.  So say the pipeliners.. And hence the fabled SA-200's fame.  Its copper wound and is a direct DC generator.. Not an AC rectifier.  Really its a huge starter motor with an AC exciter piggybacked on the shaft to generate the field. 
Psalm 37:16

Offline Remle

• Share Post
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2021, 12:26:25 PM »
ok back on track.  my friend Dr john Fan had young kids racing along his street and the 16 y/o who took his parents car, no license, and this is his third accident, lost control and hit his mailbox.  John and his son are involved in our troop. John was raised in China in re-education camps and never remembers not being hungry.  

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

new temp mailbox with ERC post.  he will apply spar and numbers.  it is our old mailbox.

Doc
I struggled with this since I read your post as to whether I should even comment on it or not. And my conscience has finally won out, so here goes. I presume you gave him the wooden post, great job !! Not only have you presented a nice gift, you have also brought up a very good point. I don't know the laws in other states, but in NYS it is illegal to put a DFO ( Deadly Fixed Object ) in the highway for a very good reason, your pictures explain it very good. Imagine if, instead of falling in front of the vehicle what the results would have been if the separated portion of the concrete structure had slid up the hood of the vehicle in to the car, serious injury or even the death of the driver/passengers if their were any. Please encourage him to keep the wooden post and get rid of the DFO.. While it's natural to want to protect one's property, is it worth the gamble of taking some one's life because of an error in judgment.. I think not.. now I'm not down playing the drivers actions, but I sure would not want anyone to die because I may have to fix my mail box.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2021, 12:48:27 PM »
your insight and comments are taken in the spirit intended.  I agree.  not sure about the law, but in this subdivision with lots of nice homes, they are majority masonry mailboxes.  this is a residential street.  So it appears that what ever ordinance allows this.  they are at a stand still waiting on insurance.  but the mailbox is about half built up.  good advice, and I am trying to help them as they are Chinese and do not fully comprehend building stuff, and insurance ect.  the mason has built many of the homes and mailboxes in this area, so hopefully he is aware.  glad no one died.  I remember some folks after several issues with people hitting mailboxes (intentionally) they reinforced them to do damage to the cars.  I had a friend who had people run up in the front yard at night and spin tires, ruin lawn.  so his dad mad a board with nails sticking up and painted it green.  they did find the car a block away and figured out who was doing it.  Thanks for the concern @Remle 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
My Buddy Bill

Started by Percy on General Board

15 Replies
Last post April 03, 2004, 08:33:54 PM
by Frank_Pender
xx
chainsaw buddy

Started by mooleycow on General Board

4 Replies
Last post November 21, 2011, 09:20:42 PM
by dnalley
xx
my buddy Joe Otto again

Started by Den Socling on General Board

34 Replies
Last post September 23, 2012, 01:27:02 PM
by Okrafarmer
xx
Buddy Wants Three Fir Trees Taken down...

Started by Ruffneck on General Board

14 Replies
Last post August 28, 2016, 12:53:50 PM
by Ox