iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood prices

Started by Yosarian, March 30, 2021, 01:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stavebuyer

At the moment pallet logs are bringing as much as $.60 bd/ft Doyle. Using a 400ft/cord conversion that's a $240 per cord log cost if you just sold the logs rather than process them. Now I know the blocks/cutoffs etc. aren't marketable in that manner but the "processor" quality poles sure are. Figuring $100+ per cord for processing I doubt fuel the value is worth $350-$400 the stuff needs to bring. Other than "ambiance" buyers it wouldn't sell here for that money as fuel.

mike_belben

Wow.. To hear pallet being higher than switch tie is really something else.  Im gonna have to make some calls.  Its a real tough thing to keep the lumber trees you are growing with a hungry market like that calling. 
Praise The Lord

barbender

Awe, what does Barge need to worry about price fixing when he has ran everyone else out of town anyways?😂
Too many irons in the fire

OH logger

That's my issue stave buyer. I'm gettin 60 cents for pallet logs so my firewood pole lot is dang near empty. The other problem is the clearing crews I buy from are doing the same thing.

Also back a few pages you guys were talking about delivering pallets or crates of firewood and placing right where customer wants it. I've looked into that too in the past. A like the Posch wood wrapping system real well but very pricey. Wraps a whole pallet of wood that's thrown in the metal drum instead of stacking. It's then wrapped in stretch plastic netting that's cut down as the customer gets closer to the bottom of the pallet and ultimately discarded when wood is gone. All that needs to be picked up and reused is the pallet itself. There's aNother manufactured advertising in the loggin magazines that is the same kind of system as Posch. Just can't remember the name but it's orange and instead of the metal drum being filled being round it's square like the pallet. Just not sure if the wood being thrown in and not stacked would still stand up nice taking curves stopping and goin on the delivery route. Also thought a Moffit lift on a straight truck would be a good delivery system but I'd want something that's low enough to get in a garage where most customers would want it. Just try not to hit somethin at the customers place!!!
john

Corley5

Would the premium on wood packaged and delivered with these systems be enough to pay for the system ??? ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

OH logger

That's the big question. A few years ago I inquired about that Posch system. It was around $18,000  :o  How much can you really get out of a cord or pallet of boutique wood?  That surely depends on your market and marketing. 
john

Raider Bill

$20 half a wheel barrow here picked up. 
Green oak.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

JDowns71

Can you label your firewood "Non-GMO, Pesticides Free, Sustainably Cut Earth Friendly" then charge a premium to the city folk?   ;D

HemlockKing

Quote from: JDowns71 on October 23, 2021, 02:09:07 PM
Can you label your firewood "Non-GMO, Pesticides Free, Sustainably Cut Earth Friendly" then charge a premium to the city folk?   ;D
Also can add in that you're a vegan firewood seller. lol
A1

OH logger

john

mike_belben

Dont forget carbon neutral*

*(until burned)
Praise The Lord

Ianab

Quote from: mike_belben on October 23, 2021, 05:26:22 PM
Dont forget carbon neutral*

*(until burned)
Supply an acorn with each load. That's the Carbon Recapture System*.  

* Patent Pending   ;D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

Don't forget Organic Grown.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

I was Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) certified, had to be when I was logging, and tried using that as a marketing ploy for firewood.  Nobody around here cares.  I didn't recertify during the whole Covid thing.  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Corley5 on October 24, 2021, 08:20:39 AM
I was Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) certified, had to be when I was logging, and tried using that as a marketing ploy for firewood.  Nobody around here cares.  I didn't recertify during the whole Covid thing.  
I hear ya. smiley_thumbsup
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Polish Hammer1

I'm at 225 a cord hardwood delivered and dumped no stacking and sadly I'm on the higher end of the price around me 210 you pick up 

Northwest Wisconsin 

Upstatewoodchuc

Quote from: Polish Hammer1 on October 29, 2021, 06:26:36 AM
I'm at 225 a cord hardwood delivered and dumped no stacking and sadly I'm on the higher end of the price around me 210 you pick up

Northwest Wisconsin
Geez, thats where I was 10 years ago and it was low at the time. How do you guys put fuel back in the equipment at those prices? I usually make up the bulk of the margin with a high delivery fee...
Current collection: Husky 3120xp,  372xp, 365, husky 55, homelite xl12. Michigan 85 wheel loader, Ford 8n with loader and forks. Farmall super C, 1988 international dump truck, John Deere 440ICD dozer, 19ft equipment trailer, 40 ton TSC splitter, modified dieder splitter with 4 way.

mike_belben

try doing it at $150 a cord, but the market wants ricks, and wants it stacked to be sure you measured right. 
Praise The Lord

barbender

I wish we got the prices you guys do in the Northeast. But then, I think you guys pay a lot more for your wood, too. 
Too many irons in the fire

HemlockKing

Quote from: Upstatewoodchuc on October 29, 2021, 07:35:42 AM
Quote from: Polish Hammer1 on October 29, 2021, 06:26:36 AM
I’m at 225 a cord hardwood delivered and dumped no stacking and sadly I’m on the higher end of the price around me 210 you pick up

Northwest Wisconsin
Geez, thats where I was 10 years ago and it was low at the time. How do you guys put fuel back in the equipment at those prices? I usually make up the bulk of the margin with a high delivery fee...
You should see people around here, selling softwood cords for 150 and hardwood 200(CDN mind you). I just shake my head, keep working really hard to keep strangers warm and you in return nothing but a worn down back and lost time

Finally started to tick up but not much yet, let’s see how far they take it while everything else sky rockets 
A1

SwampDonkey

Never see hardwood firewood for less than $300 a cord here, some as much as $450 around Fredericton. Pulpwood for firewood is not much different than midwestern states I believe. Wood prices off public land keeps private wood prices low here. It's a rigged game in favor of the mills. :D

Softwood or aspen firewood would be a hard sell around here, yet that is mostly what I burn. Never froze yet. If you want any, I sell for $300, you pick up. Bring cash. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HemlockKing

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 29, 2021, 04:37:29 PM
Never see hardwood firewood for less than $300 a cord here, some as much as $450 around Fredericton. Pulpwood for firewood is not much different than midwestern states I believe. Wood prices off public land keeps private wood prices low here. It's a rigged game in favor of the mills. :D

Softwood or aspen firewood would be a hard sell around here, yet that is mostly what I burn. Never froze yet. ;D
Highest hardwood for sale I have seen is 275 in the city(2.5 hr away)
A1

stavebuyer

This is the year to demand what it is worth. Let it sit until it rots if it doesn't pay. They are begging for $15+ employees with much easier and safer occupations and no investment in inventory and equipment,  The propane dealer and electric company are passing on the new cost reality; so charge what it is worth.

Thank You Sponsors!