iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did Stihl make a 034AV wood boss?

Started by Tundra550, May 19, 2021, 08:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tundra550

Hi I just purchased a 034AV with the Wood Boss decal on the air cleaner cover. I was looking for info on the saw online and did not find  anything on the wood boss option. I paid $75 for the saw. All completely stock for what she said was for parts as it wasn't running. I check the piston and it looked perfect. So I put fresh gas in and a new spark plug and it runs awesome. After looking at the plug there was zero gap so no spark. Great for me.

these are all the saws I have collected so far

sawguy21

One man's trash is another man's treasure. ;D You did well, the 034 was a workhorse but is long gone, the closest you will get now is an MS362 but not for that price!
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tundra550

Is there anyway to tell the year of the saw. It says made in west Germany so it's before the fall of the Berlin Wall so pre 1989 but that's the best I can figure on the year 

Tacotodd

Give the serial # to your local/friendly Stihl dealer and he/she can give you the year. Can, not necessarily will. All Stihl dealers aren't created equal.
Trying harder everyday.

kantuckid

I bought a 034AV saw new in ~1990.
 If my memory is correct mine said Farm Boss on it? In 2014 my jug/piston needed replaced and the repair coincided with a shoulder surgery which combined with having installed a larger cc jug made the saw hard to start for my wired together shoulder senario so I went for a saw with a decompression valve to ease starting. 
 Those are VG saws.
 Perhaps the air cleaner covers interchange with other named saws? 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

sawguy21

@Tundra550 Did you find that squirreled away in the box? It looks brand new!
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tundra550

I found it on our local Facebook marketplace.  I guess I was the lucky one to get it.  The lady said there were 20 other people interested in it.  She was asking $75 Canadian dollars  for it that's like 40$ American.  I didn't ever try to get a better deal like I usually do.  I just paid and was a happy guy.  I will upload some more pictures soon

5000+

Yes they did. A slightly lower cost version.  They had a front tensioner, non adjustable oiler, plastic bar cover,  no plastic screen pre air filter. They may ha e been open port cylinder, not sure on that. If you look thru a ipl some parts are foot noted wb.

Tundra550

Ok then this isn't a wood boss then.  This saw has the side chain tensioner, adjustable oiler, magnesium side cover and has the plastic screen pre filter 

Tundra550

Here are some more pictures of the 034

Tundra550

The only thing missing is the grommet for the jet adjustments I have one on order

kantuckid

I saw a 034 "PRO" on ebay yesterday. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Clark

*Phone rings*

"Spam Risk" You answer anyway.

"It's Clark from the FF, want to triple your money?"

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

ihookem

I bought mine in 1992 for $434 with tax.  I have an 026, 034 and a 441. I like the 034 the best . Light enough, but enough power for 16" and 20" ash . The 026 does not have it and the 441 is very loud and a bit much for my needs. I could have went with the 361 though. 

Al_Smith

I've got an 034 super which in essence is an 036 .It runs but it's on the list for an enhancement .I built one up some time ago using an 036 cylinder and it was impressive in just that form without enhancements .Traded it off for a McCulloch 805 which I put an early model MC 850 engine on .

HolmenTree

Quote from: Tundra550 on May 19, 2021, 10:04:54 PM

Is there anyway to tell the year of the saw. It says made in west Germany so it's before the fall of the Berlin Wall so pre 1989 but that's the best I can figure on the year
From looking at your early style fuel /oil caps it could be older than a 1987 model.
The metal riveted West Germany rewind housing badges were gone on all Stihl saws by 1990.
The Wood Boss decal is just a decal any dealer could slap on. Stihl Canada distributors were keen on supplying the dealers with them.
The true 034 Wood Boss with the cheapened  front chain tensioner came out around 1991 in Canada.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Tacotodd

We're DanG glad to see you back here Willard!
Trying harder everyday.

Tundra550

Thanks for the reply.  Good information on the wood boss sticker as well.  Much appreciated 

Thank You Sponsors!