iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 066 questions

Started by Tundra550, July 28, 2021, 07:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tundra550

I just picked up a still 066 Arctic yesterday. I'm wondering if someone could give me some information on the saw. I paid $500 Canadian for it. Was this a good deal? What  Year? Is it a good saw. It runs strong. Serial number is 150689277. 

sawguy21

It is getting long in the tooth but is a real workhorse at 92 cc. $500 CAD is a decent price for a good runner in reasonable condition, many have led a hard life. What do you intend to do with it?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tundra550

It will have an easy life now. I'm more of a collector than anything. It will get used but not very often. 

Tundra550

Here is the saw  it's a 2002  I emailed the Stihl for the year

Tundra550

I also added the duel muffler front cover 

teakwood

i have one from '97, i bought her new then, and she still runs strong.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Tundra550

Just need the outside felling dog and that's about it.  It really is a beast.  This is the first saw that I actually need the decompressor button to start it.  It pull the recoil handle out of my hands if I don't use it.   

Tom King

I bought mine used, and modified.  It doesn't have a decompression button.  I put toes of my right foot in the back handle, and my left foot on top of the loop handle.

If I'm not using a long bar on it, it carries a 24" bar, with 3/8 x .050 EXL, with a ten tooth sprocket.  It's Fun running it like that.

Tundra550

I only have a 7 tooth on it right now with a 24inch bar.  I was thinking going to a 8 tooth sprocket.  I'm sure this thing could hand that right?  

Tundra550

Is there a difference between this saw that doesn't have the magnum sticker and one that does have the magnum sticker on it? Or is just a marketing thing?  Thanks 

Tundra550

Does anyone have any Info on the magnum question?  Thanks

JoshNZ

My first thought was I have an 038 and an 038 magnum and they're certainly not the same saws, another few ccs I don't know how much, oversized pot in the mag.

It does look like the 066 and mag are exactly the same pot at least, after a Google search. Might be a few different carbs and mufflers for them?

Tundra550

It looks like the duel port muffler might be the only difference.  That's what I can see.  I might be wrong.

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

HolmenTree

@Tundra550 you have the last of the 066 series. The MS660 production run started Oct 15 2002.
Yes the dual outlet muffler front cover is what defines a Magnum.

In the US the dual outlet was outlawed by OHSA in 1995.
H.P. dropped from 7.8 to 7.2
The Canadian 066 Magnums as far as I know were not effected by noise regulations until much later on.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Tundra550

Thank you for the reply.  Being that this is the last year of production for the old 066 was it the "best" version, as in all the kinks worked out?  

HolmenTree

Quote from: Tundra550 on August 17, 2021, 10:42:58 PM
Thank you for the reply.  Being that this is the last year of production for the old 066 was it the "best" version, as in all the kinks worked out?  
Unfortunately no.
The 1996-'97 flat top 066 were the "best version"with all the kinks worked out.
 1998 round top got the EPA detuning.

Tundra550

I still don't know what to look for to tell the difference between a flat top and round.  Thanks

HolmenTree

This is my 1992 and 1997 066 flat tops.
To get my '92 066 Magnum down to the 14 lb range, I removed the dual out muffler cover and gutted out a single outlet muffler. Also running a 064 flywheel and rewind housing, plus a Husky  162 top handle. No dogs, have bumper mounted.

HolmenTree

Another weight reduction trick for the '92 066 hybrid was a 1986 064 air filter assembly. 

JoshNZ

Thank You Sponsors!