iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Felling saw suggestions

Started by Jkauffman, August 14, 2021, 08:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jkauffman

Hey folks I'm needin some advice on a saw purchase.What is the minimum cc needed for comfortable felling?Im kinda partial to husky and expect y'all will say 372xp but don't really want to spend that much.Is there any halfways decent saw for 5-800?I don't cut for a living or I definitely would get a pro saw but just don't know what's all available.Is a husky 460 any good for this?Thanks for any responses

Ianab

What size tree are you regularly working with? A decent 50-60 cc saw with an 18-20" bar will work fine for smaller trees, and is still practical if you need to take down something 30"+. 

The 60cc Echo's seem to be priced a little over $500 US
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jkauffman

I've got about 20 acres to log that will be mostly 16-24" red oak,walnut,maple,poplar etc. there is a handful of around 30 dbh poplars 

Tacotodd

Check out the Echo offerings as well as the Redmax offerings. Echo is #3 these days & Redmax is an un-pushed Husqvarna.
Trying harder everyday.

btulloh

A 60cc saw would be good match and even a 60cc pro saw would be under your $800 max by a few bucks. I'm not an Echo user, but a lot of people like them and they seem to be a good value and still dependable. An Echo 60cc saw would put you closer to the low end of your range and should be just fine. Personally I'd go with the Echo over a non-pro Husky or Stihl although I believe over the long haul pro saws are really worth the price of admission and are going to have better balance as well as better power/weight ratio.  

There'll be plenty more opinions offered up.  
HM126

Jkauffman

Any opinions on a husky 365?I haven't priced any at dealers but thought they where around 850 or so.I prolly just should be tight and buy a pro saw,that way if I don't smash it :( it will last a long long time but it would prolly be more than I need.After logging that piece would most likely just use it around the farm 

Southside

So for arguments sake let's assume you are thinning the 20 acres and pull 5,000 BF per acre. That's 20-25 semi loads of logs, or $5 / semi load invested in a $1K saw.

Logging is hard on equipment, you get what you pay for. Dealer support is a big part of the equation. Who do you have around that can service, not just replace, your saw? Don't expect the same customer service if you buy a saw from TSC or online.

FWIW my first answer is 372XP, but if you said you have no mechanical experience and there isn't a good, reliable, Husky dealer around then I would look at options.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ianab

Quote from: Jkauffman on August 14, 2021, 09:15:44 PMAny opinions on a husky 365?I haven't priced any at dealers but thought they where around 850 or so

It's not a "professional" grade saw, and I'd suggest an Echo at that price might be better. But it's an OK saw and should get the job done. MSRP seems to be  $879.99 US, so you should be in the $850 range (or get some freebies chucked in the deal). The "good" Huskys are the XP range saws. The 365 seems to be in the "farmer / firewood" range. Not junk, but nothing special either.

Sometimes it's better to choose your Dealer, then buy whatever brand they are selling. 

Chances are you will end up wanting a couple of saws anyway. They break, they get jammed in logs when you are bucking etc. So if you buy a cheap but reliable saw now, and get a 372XP later, you wont regret having a 55cc backup saw. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Walnut Beast

<.  Beavers work pretty good 

Tacotodd

I "think" that a Redmax G7300 (maybe the designation is G7100) is the 372xp Xtork but like I posted before, it's not pushed due to really low advertising budgets used for them. But it's the same parts just in a slightly different color than Husqvarna or Jonsered. Of course, that's IIRC, but my memory isn't NEARLY as good as it was before my MS started to ravage my mind (and therefore body). Had I known about them at the time when I bought my Husqvarna that's what I'd have gotten, especially considering that I only play with mine. ;)
Trying harder everyday.

lxskllr

I like echo for saving money. I have two smaller saws, and I love them. I wouldn't even consider a non pro saw from the big two in their place. Dealer support was mentioned. This is Stihl country around here. We have one pretty big Husky dealer, but aside from them, there isn't much. Echo can be a little more "iffy" for dealers. A lot of them are merely sellers, and won't be able to do much for service. I have a full service dealer near me, and I see lots of signs on stores for echo, but don't know how many of them are full service.

Jkauffman

I've got pretty much dead equal husky and stihl dealers in the same town about 10 min,than a much better dealer for husky,stihl,and echo about 30 min.

I know everyone has there opinions but what is the difference between say a stihl 462 and husky 372.I've always been partial to husky but am open

btulloh

I think if you favor husky already and have a good dealer you should stay with husky. They both make good pro saws, although some people have strong opinions about that. 
HM126

ehp

if your going with a husky 372XT the 365XT is the same saw just the covers on the transfer ports have a bridge that restricts air flow , same cylinder and piston and bottomend , Here the 372 cost less than the stihl 462 but the 462 is lighter and not many 372 around sense the 572 has come out 

Al_Smith

On a subject like this there are as many opinions as are the opinions on what brand  of mix oil to use and what mix ratio .
It seems the prevailing opinions come from well healed people suggesting higher priced models of saws .I won't opine only saying I'm a restorer not a fan of spending $1000 for newer model of chainsaw plus I have many so I never run short of something that will run which usually they all do .It's what ever trips your trigger I guess . As to brand names that's just an old Ford/Chevy or John-Deere /Farmall thing which really doesn't mean  much, only in the eye of the beholder .

Iwawoodwork

I have several stihl including an 029 farm boss, and 023 also 2 smaller Husky hobby saws and the best saws for me have been the small Echo 370 and the two Echo 670 saws. The 670 are fitted with 36" bars with 3/8 chain which they have no problem pulling in Doug Fir. I am retired an only use the saws for non commercial timber felling on my own ground. I am quite impressed with the 670 power and weight, feel that it is a good intermediate saw for the cost.

ehp

I cut lots of 24 to 36 inch dbh in hardwood and right now I have been running the stihl 400 with 20 inch bar . To me it's not got enough under the hood to run a 24 inch setup in stuff like white oak and does not oil enough for that either but it sure is easy on the shoulders and back cause it's so light . 

weimedog

Three saw from Husqvarna come to mind in that price "ball park" and capability, and in order of preference...my most humble opinion. ( JUST an opinion ) 565, 562, 365. Around here the 565 slots cost wize between a 365 and 372. BUT it's every bit of a 372 in capability. I have one, great farm saw. The 562 is a mature design and a really snappy saw. 365 is old school but a useful tool. Great place to start if someone has the itch to learn about saw mods.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Tacotodd

Just look at some of @weimedog videos on YouTube under "afleetcommand" and go from there. He tells all about that particular saw ;)
Trying harder everyday.

Woodfarmer

Quote from: Ianab on August 14, 2021, 10:27:58 PM
Quote from: Jkauffman on August 14, 2021, 09:15:44 PMAny opinions on a husky 365?I haven't priced any at dealers but thought they where around 850 or so

It's not a "professional" grade saw, and I'd suggest an Echo at that price might be better. But it's an OK saw and should get the job done. MSRP seems to be  $879.99 US, so you should be in the $850 range (or get some freebies chucked in the deal). The "good" Huskys are the XP range saws. The 365 seems to be in the "farmer / firewood" range. Not junk, but nothing special either.

Sometimes it's better to choose your Dealer, then buy whatever brand they are selling.

Chances are you will end up wanting a couple of saws anyway. They break, they get jammed in logs when you are bucking etc. So if you buy a cheap but reliable saw now, and get a 372XP later, you wont regret having a 55cc backup saw.
The 365 is every bit as good as the 372, just slightly detuned. Some say it's the better of the two for hardwoods as it spins at less rpm. For 24" Oak, I wouldn't go any less than the 365. Get a 20" and a 24" lightweight bar and go from there. I bought a 565, didn't care for it, I didn't find it any better than my jonsered 2165/71's.
I would definitely recommend the redmax GZ7100 for $849.

sawguy21

I agree, the only major difference was the bore. Slap a 372 top end on it and voila! The 365 was never a good seller for us because it was too close in price to the 372 to make it attractive.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jkauffman

Just to let y'all know I finally did get a 372xp.I could spend more cause of a little labor tradin :D.It's still nice and shiny and now I don't want to use it :)

mike_belben

What a great saw.  Excellent choice.

For anyone else in the future struggling with the same decision:  consider what size, species and grade of logs one is cutting and how in terms of felling style.  

If you are cutting firewood with wedges a small slow saw is acceptable.  If you are cutting chair happy large sawlogs and chasing them off the stump you had better have some spare horsetorques between the handles. 372 minimum.

Dolmar 7900 is a great saw that gets forgotten imo.
Praise The Lord

Woodfarmer

Quote from: Ianab on August 14, 2021, 10:27:58 PM

It's not a "professional" grade saw, and I'd suggest an Echo at that price might be better. But it's an OK saw and should get the job done. MSRP seems to be  $879.99 US, so you should be in the $850 range (or get some freebies chucked in the deal). The "good" Huskys are the XP range saws. The 365 seems to be in the "farmer / firewood" range. Not junk, but nothing special either.

Better check your info there Ianab, the 365 is a detuned 372. So yes it is a professional saw. I have several in red and it is just the saw the OP needs.

Tacotodd

@Woodfarmer the 365 372 xtork share the same cc, but the numbers are pretty well spot on for the old NON xtork.
Trying harder everyday.

Skeans1

Quote from: mike_belben on December 01, 2021, 05:28:01 AM
What a great saw.  Excellent choice.

For anyone else in the future struggling with the same decision:  consider what size, species and grade of logs one is cutting and how in terms of felling style.  

If you are cutting firewood with wedges a small slow saw is acceptable.  If you are cutting chair happy large sawlogs and chasing them off the stump you had better have some spare horsetorques between the handles. 372 minimum.

Dolmar 7900 is a great saw that gets forgotten imo.
The Dolmar isn't forgotten it's just non existent in some places, I've ran them in the past they're ok once some kinks are worked out. For falling they really need better dawgs before you can even start cutting, depending on which filter system is on them they may need swapped out as well.

mike_belben

i bought one brand new for my best friend maybe 2009 or so and it has never skipped a beat on him.  neither of us do what you do out there but i know it would probably outwork my 372.  i dont like german engineering at all but the times i have done maintenance on it i cursed not. has impressed me ever since. 
Praise The Lord

stumpjumper83

Well op, I don't know where your from,  if your close to pa, I might sell you a saw m

Arborists go thru saws.   We demand 100% reliability from our gear, 90% of the time our customer is watching.  And we are well compensated.

Alot of us buy a new saw,  run it a couple years and sell.  They tend to be well cared for,  low hour pro grade saws. 

This year I'll be getting rid of a jonsred 2166 aka the 365 husky.   Been a good saw,  just will be 2 this coming October.  Has a 24" lightweight on it.  Would sell saw for $650, bar included.

AndyVT

My 2255 and 2171 Jonsy's are getting long in the tooth and I am getting old in the arms so went looking for a new saw that would fill the slot between them and be useful for felling and limbing. 
I wanted to be able to share bar and chain so I ended up with a 562 XP.
A fast, powerful and relatively light saw it checks all the boxes for me.

Thank You Sponsors!