iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood burned winter 21/22

Started by uplander, April 07, 2022, 11:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uplander

Just about done burning for heat in Southern Indiana.
This winter was fairly mild and we used a little less than 3 cords of hickory, oak. How much did you use?

Also have it all replaced as of this week.
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

hedgerow

I normally burn 10-15 full cord of hardwood locust and hedge a year in my Garn. I run year around for domestic. I am going to be on the lower side this year. We didn't get the extended cold spell we usually get in Jan into Feb so at this point in time of the year I am down three cord usage. Probably going to be around nine cord this year. Had some health things this year so I didn't do much in the shop over winter so that saved some wood not heating the shop all the time. Have hedge logs cut need to buck, split and load on some trailers. Got about seven cord of room on trailer right now. Probably not going to get any wood processed before planting season. Corn should be rolling in the ground around here next week but I don't think the weather is going to let that happen. We need some rain here bad. 

SwampDonkey

8-1/2 cord of aspen and softwoods so far. Got 4 cords of dry wood left. 7-1/2 cord already cut awaiting stacking as soon as the ice melts out of it. Be burning wood 2 more months. Mighty cold sitting around in 50 degrees. Ain't summer yet. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

PoginyHill

13 cords this year, I'm estimating. mid-Oct thru mid-May. A mix of everything from beech to fir.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Wlmedley

I've burnt approximately 4 cords of white oak and hickory and beech since November 1 in a Buck stove insert .Got a fire burning now.Wish it would warm up :laugh:
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Spike60

Gonna be the usual 4 cords for me. Maple, oak, ash, hickory in a quadrafire 3100. Winter seemed to start mild, but is ending cold. Last week of March was way colder than last year, but there was a mild week in the middle where I went 4 days with no fire. Kind of all evens out. April now is the month with the most uncertainty. Had a fire every night so far, but little need to keep it going during the day as long as the sun is out. Friends with OWB's gotta keep them going for a while yet, but I like skipping the mild days as the weather warms up. Not that that's happening yet either. :)

End of the season is such a diifferent feel than the beginning, isn't it? Start of the season, you're looking forward to coming home and getting a fire going. End of the season you've had enough and want it to be over. LOL

In the store, we see people running low or out of wood this time of year. Maybe a little more this year than usual. Last Sat morning there were 4-5 guys in for supplies cause they needed to cut more wood to get through the year.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

SwampDonkey

I burn extra wood here because I use it to heat the grow tent from Jan on. Windows are open all day though, when not a storm outside. Wood is cheaper when it's your own. :D Normally I would burn 6 cords.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodroe

5 cord of 85% pine spruce fir here. Not too fussy as long as it will make heat
and its free. Plus the woodlot is making more hardwood all the time .
Next winter will be down to 75% softwood in the pile.
If it were all decent hardwood 3 1/2 cord would probably be enough.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

mudfarmer

4.5 cord, maple ash beech yellow birch elm cherry and even some butternut... not quite done have a quick fire still most nights.

That is a little more than most years, we had quite a long stretch of below zero every day for weeks this winter and only heat with wood so really churned through some in just a short time.

jimbarry

about 3 cord of sugar maple, white and yellow birch, beech and ash. Also get a decent amount of solar gain. We're in northeastern Nova Scotia. Turned off the heat pump mid November. Mild winter again.

cutterboy

4and a half cord so far of red oak, red maple, white and black birch, ash, cherry, beech, hickory and aspen. The kitchen stove still burns day and night but the big stove in the basement has been out for a week and I don't expect I'll need to start it up again.
This year has been a light burning year for me. I'll get by with under 5 cord. Usually burn six. Last year was one of my worst years, burned seven. Last year the cold weather started early and ended very late. I was burning heavy right thru April into May.
All my wood for next year is cut, split and stacked in the barn. I just finished that yesterday. :laugh:
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Don P

It's white outside on some very bright green grass and the stove is crackling. Hopefully that is the last reminder of winter. Probably 3-4 cords, and 150 gallons of K-1 in the Monitor. Its hard to tell, my mistakes come home and scraps and rippings all generate and burn through the winter.

I brought the skidsteer home to run around and gather cut but unsplit firewood that is everywhere and get it up behind the barn for working up. But of course, bring it home for the weekend and the weather tanks :D.

PAbilly

Hello from PA, I have used about 7 cords miscellaneous hardwood. now I'm working on the hemlock pile. Probably use about half a cord or so before burning season is over. Burning in a Harmon to TL 2.6 and a small Englander. Probably started in mid October

thecfarm

PAbilly, welcome to the forum.
Hemlock will treat you good for burning.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

5 or 6 std cords this winter.
More than usual, but had a lot of Cherry which doesnt have the btu content of theMaple, Beech and Ash I like to burn.
burned year round when I had the mill using hemlock slabs in the summer for domestic h2o.
Shut down last week took the snow blower off of my little JD, put the snow shovels away.
Started snowing last evening about 5, 14" here now and still snowing.
I dont do anything with snow this time of year.
The Lord giveth, the Lord taketh away.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

chet

Quote from: Don P on April 09, 2022, 09:10:47 AM
It's white outside on some very bright green grass and the stove is crackling.
Haven't seen our grass since early Nov. of last year, but I doubt it's green.   :D
Usually our snow is gone by now, but not this year. Forecast is warmer and rain for a couple days, so that should finally do it. Not sure how much wood I've used, but it was enough to stay nice and warm.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

SwampDonkey

Be working at stacking my firewood here between the snow and rain showers that seem to rotate through every day. Windy along with it. :D

Lawn here was getting green just a couple days after the snow left. No frost here much. I could plant a bare root tree without any trouble. Thankfully the coolness keeps the lawn from growing too fast. :D

Al_Smith

I didn't really keep track but it's usually about 4 cords .I was behind the 8 ball this year .Didn't get it on it fast enough in the fall .Long story !

kelLOGg

I'll chime in for the record lowest. Probably 2 cords of a mish-mash of everything from hickory to cedar (no pine) - all dead or sawmill scraps.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

SwampDonkey

Been doing some stacking today for next winter. Two ranks makes 1-1/2 cords, going to put one more in today after a bit. Probably room for 4 more ranks after and maybe 1/2 a rank, totalling 5-1/2" cords. Will be 5 cords under the porch, but only a cord left to finish that area.

Al_Smith

I'm in the works of trying a land grab for  another 5 acres of woods which is adjoining land .I need it like I need another hole in the head but they aren't making any more of it .Besides that if I own it nobody else can build on it .It's got enough down and standing dead I'll never run out of something to burn in two life times .
I look at land similar to the stock market as being "passive " investments .You have to maintain the taxes of course but in stocks you have to pay on the dividends weather you spend them or not .The land or the stocks you can pass on and they pay no tax on it .Mean time they escalate in value or always have in the past . My estate is only going to go to two people but I have grand children too .It's just something good old grand dad did for them . :)

Andries

My shop is heated by this Pacific Energy stove. I brought carrier and a wheelbarrow in because we're slated for a long weekend of snow and rain.

We have about two feet of snow in the yard, and more than that in the forested areas. This winter has put smiles on the snow clearing guys and all the SkiDoo dealers. About four cords for the woodworking shop since October.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Bruno of NH

I'm in at about 4 cords and still lighting a fire at night.
Stove is in the basement shop.
I burn what's not good for my firewood customers.  It's all hardwood. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Hilltop366

1 tandem log truck of maple, birch and a few others (5 cord?) heating my house and a 16'x 28' work shop and hw with a Tarm boiler. Next years blocked up ready to split.

Only making a few fires per week to keep the floor from cooling off to much or if we get a few cloudy days in a row.

breederman

We burned a little more than we have the last few years. Usually have two rows left over in the wood shed, only had one left a week or so ago when I told Jackie I was done throwing wood in and was going to turn the electric heaters on to take the chill off. .... Then it snowed a foot of wet heavy crap and the power was off from Monday night until yesterday afternoon so have had a fire all week again. I have managed to refill the wood shed already so we won't freeze for another year . 😀
Together we got this !

Thank You Sponsors!