iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally, I'm Committed

Started by TroyC, June 16, 2022, 10:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TroyC

Well, some people think I actually should be, but after a year of planning,  finally got some post in the ground today for another sawmill shed. Not going fancy, just a basic cover to get out of the sun.

Did I mention how hot it was in central Georgia today? It was HOT.

<Got 5 out of 6 post in today. One more in the morning before it gets hot.

TroyC

6 posts up, tops marked for cutting to height. Gonna get those 20' beams up tomorrow!

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Good to hear.  When I saw the title, I was concerned that they took you away in a straight jacket. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

TroyC

10-4 on the shade! Brutal outside after 10 am or so.

TroyC

Beams going up today. 

Took little ones fishin' last evening.

barbender

I like the last picture, the best. It's way too easy to let that slip away!
Too many irons in the fire

47sawdust

What keeps the beam from rolling off the forks ?
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

TroyC

Forks have a slip on channel on the ends with  a 6" angle iron holder. Strap the beam  tight to the angle with ratchet straps. Set beam then lower forks carefully and they slide out of the holders.

Beams set. Now gotta find a couple trees for the rafters  8).

Southside

Quote from: WDH on June 18, 2022, 07:38:50 AM
Good to hear.  When I saw the title, I was concerned that they took you away in a straight jacket.
No worries here, they don't let you have internet access when that happens, or so I have been told.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

That fishing picture is great!!!
Looks like he has a big one on there!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Congrats, those beams are looking good up there.  Nice work !!  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kantuckid

Is that a TYM tractor? Can't see the brand name. I've got a new Branson which is a twin company machine. 

I bought two fork extensions on a scratch and dent buy off amazon-They are Titan made. They are to extend my FEL forks to raise wall logs.
 I'm interest in those gizmo's on the tips myself. 
I was thinking two short sling straps using a clevis or other holding setup for a wall log? 

Yesterday I picked up my used Genie, crank up lifting device-it would do that beam job with ease-up to 650lbs. It's place to earn its keep is spots to small for a tractor. They are designed to go through any regular doorway. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

TroyC

Yes, a TYM 474 hydro. I really like it, just the right size for me. Had a 394 and sold it, the 474 is 10 more HP, 4 cyl, if it won't do it I probably shouldn't be trying. 

I'll put a pic up this evening if my simple homemade log holder that slides over the fork tips. 
Got 5 full size 2x10x23' from one 22" log. Done for the day, cooled off nicely, only about 92 or so. Fishing tonight after a big steak dinner 😋🍺 

TroyC

Here is the fork holder for the beams. Just a piece of channel with straps that slip over fork ends. Yellow angle us the support and I strap stuff to the angle. Tighten the bolt for stability or leave it loose and the forks can slide downward for easy release.

Fishing was a little slow but we did manage a turtle. He was glad to get back in the pond.

WDH

I bet those boys enjoyed that. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

TroyC

Standing to lumber, 2.5 hrs. Almost have all rafters cut.

WDH

I bet somebody's clothes got sticky :)

Cornerstone

Those boys will never forget this experience. I bet you won't either. I look forward to grandchildren.
Case 580SK backhoe, New Holland L228 skid steer, Kubota 900rtv, Home made band mill, 1968 Chevy C50 Dump Truck, 1972 C10, 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 dually, all sorts of motorcycles.
Ephesians 3: 17-21

TroyC

Rafters up. 105 in the shade today. I'm toast. Young ones stayed in the A/C most of the day, too hot to fish. They did ride golf cart (again) after it cooled to around 90. They spotted the two fawns yesterday and a couple rabbits today. They don't get excited seeing turkeys anymore. Baby bird flew the nest this morning also.

WDH

I like the No Snow Load roof ;D.  Our heat does not weigh as much as the snow and ice in the Glaciated North. 

TroyC

So true, I'd rather shovel sunshine than snow!

Magicman

Looking mighty fine Sir!!  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TroyC

Thanks MM, purlins today, metal will be here tomorrow!

TroyC

Purlins up, metal went up yesterday.

Pretty much done! Gutters and some trim next trip to the camp. 

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Now you need another one :)

Andries

No kidding, almost a week old and she's already full. 😉
Nice work Troy - enjoy the shade.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

samandothers

Very nice and fast!
What was the size 20x10?

TroyC

Quote from: customsawyer on June 27, 2022, 06:32:32 AM
Did you cut your own 1x4s?
Yes, cut everything here. Cut the full 2x10's 22'. Took 2 trees to get enough. The 1 x 4's mostly came from jacket boards.

TroyC

Quote from: samandothers on June 27, 2022, 09:54:08 AM
Very nice and fast!
What was the size 20x10?
Thanks! The header beams are 6x9x20'. The rafters are full 2x10x22'. Spaced the 1x4 purlins on 24" centers with R panels on top. Good and stiff to walk on.

TroyC

Quote from: WDH on June 27, 2022, 07:28:21 AM
Now you need another one :).
Yep, already too small  :). Got room on the end to go another 20'. Next trip, maybe when it cools off ....

thecfarm

A very nice place to keep things under cover.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

Das a biggun!  Did you half lap the header beams on the middle post or just butt them and strap?

TroyC

Butt headers, strap, plus I welded a T plate connector to tie headers to post. 3/8 structural screws thru the t plate. End post got straps plus a straight connector with structural screws.

enwinn

Quote from: TroyC on June 19, 2022, 05:38:15 PM
... Got 5 full size 2x10x23' from one 22" log...
Hi Troy, Nice sawmill shed. 

I'm trying to get a feel for tractor capabilities and log size limits in context of the EZ 40 and timber framing - and a sawmill shed.  ;D

I did see the photo of you dragging this or another log with your 3 point and a log arch.

Were you able to lift this log onto your mill with your T474?

Per various log weight calculators, a 23' long 22" wide at both ends "loblobby" pine for species, the calculated weight is around 3119 to 3218 pounds which is around the rated break out force at the pins for the T474. 

TractorData.com TYM T474 tractor attachments information

Same size log in EWP looks to be around 2185 to 2258 pounds but I have a mix of oak and some SYP species that I need to get down to my property and figure out.

Kind of leaning toward a T494C but wondering if I need to raid or bolster funds for something bigger.

-Eric

Ed_K

Go bigger always go bigger  ;D 8).
Ed K

TroyC

The 474 lifted the log that I got the 2x10's from. My guess is that log was probably 22-2300 lbs or so. I took the grapple off and used the forks to lift the log. Shedding the grapple adds about 5-600 lbs of lift. Gotta balance those heavies carefully, work slow. I towed the log right in front of the mill so did not have to move it far on the forks.

Quote from: samandothers on June 27, 2022, 09:54:08 AM
Very nice and fast!
What was the size 20x10?

Sorry I missed the reply to this.... shed is 20'X40' total, 20' openings between each upright.

TroyC

Well, as most every  one pointed out, it was too small. Cut more headers and rafters last week, got the metal on today for another 20x20 area. Total roof area now is 20x60. Probably going to be too small but I'm done for now.

I'm done now, will probably fill it up tomorrow.

thecfarm

Looks like you have more room to add on.  ;D
My land is hard to that.
Not much level ground and then rocks need to be moved.

Thank You Sponsors!