iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Current Emerald Ash Borer Information.

Started by Jeff, March 03, 2005, 02:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

rusticretreater

The red dots in the image are where infestations have been detected.  The Dept of Agriculture has dropped quarantines on the EAB as it has not been effective.  They are now trying parasitic wasps as well as aggressive logging.

Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Walnut Beast

It's sickening looking at all the dead ash trees in my woods from years ago that got infected and went to waste and some big ones. 

Okrafarmer

Quote from: rusticretreater on March 04, 2022, 10:56:41 PM

The red dots in the image are where infestations have been detected.  The Dept of Agriculture has dropped quarantines on the EAB as it has not been effective.  They are now trying parasitic wasps as well as aggressive logging.
Thanks. Looks like it has crept into my corner of SC. Interesting it has mostly stayed out of my two home states--SC and Maine.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

DMcCoy

EAB showed up last week in Forest Grove OR.  NW corner of Oregon.  They cut and chipped the trees within 48 hrs and will start with the parasitic wasps soon.
After they get done killing the ash trees what's next?  There must be secondary choices.

kantuckid

Being a pessimist- ;)
Let's hope the wasps work better than did the Asian Ladybugs and a few other noteworthy screwups from government scientists. 
Multi flora rose, Kudzu and a few other flops come to mind. 
 My home state of KS (as did others) promoted Russian Olive which is now invasive in some places. There's more...

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Al_Smith

Sitting around my fire ring on my back patio sipping a whistle pop every so often I see a stray EAB but not too often .I've saved some rather large lumber logs all cribbed above the ground  so they don't rot .Ash is not rot proof but it does last a long time before the weather gets to it .It certainly does get hard though dried out in the log after a time .I'm still cutting the wind falls for firewood and likely will be for some time to come .It's just a shame as I had 100 footers at one time .All gone now. :( 

KJ42

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on September 09, 2020, 06:38:01 AM
Quote from: Carabnr on September 08, 2020, 11:57:20 PM
New to the forum, but I discovered an EAB bug in an Ash tree we cut down in central NC. made a chair out of the wood and was wondering if it may hatch larvae later. It is a post and rung chair from greenwood. What do you all think?
The EAB survive on the cambium (inner bark) of the tree and do not bore into the wood. This is why you see tracks when you peel the bark. They cannot subsist on a dead tree, they need healthy live bark. When they kill a tree, they move on and kill another.
It is rare to find an EAB on a dead tree. Your chair will be fine on that score, however, powder post beetles are a different story. ;D
Welcome to the forum.

Old reply but wanted to add, the EAB also feast on the foliage. Actually the foliage is 1st to be attacked, then the ba_t__ds travel down and lay their eggs in between the furrows on the bark. Eggs hatch and burrow through into the cambium layer and eat all the cambium. Then tunnel out and repeat. I hate them with a passion. Theyve created so much work for me and decimated my 21 acres, gell my whole neighborhood.

beenthere

KJ42
Welcome to the Forestry Forum. Would like to hear more about you and your interest in trees.

Wonder if you know how long the EAB exists while eating the cambium layer out to eventually girdle the tree when that layer is gone. I'm thinking a few years at least.

Go to your profile and fill out some of that information, much appreciated to know more when posting back.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Okrafarmer

For what it's worth we still have live ash trees in Greenville and Pickens Counties, South Carolina.

For now.

Thank You Sponsors!