iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help with seized hit or miss engine

Started by Dangerous_Dan, September 10, 2006, 09:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dangerous_Dan

Picked up this engine at a garage sale.

It's locked up but looks complete and fixable.
I know how they work for the most part but this is my first time working on one.
I'm sure there are some things I need to know before attempting to disassemble, repair, reassemble and run it. I want to completely tear it down and rebuild it using as many of the original parts as possible. Also looking for info on the original application for this engine since one of the tags mentions "mixer".

First you make it work, then you trick it out!

Bro. Noble

Those engines were used to power all sorts of belt driven equipment before electricity was available.  I have one that came off of a concrete mixer and there were little chunks of conccrete that had to be chipped off of it before restoration :D :D

Yours appears to be in good shape and you shouldn't have any trouble restoring it to new condition.  Jeff's friend Harold can give you the website where you can purchase drip oilers,  rings, decals etc. There used to be a place that rebuilt Wico mags also although yours may work with some cleaning up if it's been stored inside.  I always had valves made at a machine shop from burned truck valves that could be cut down to fit.

As far as being seized,  use patience and 'rust reaper'.  There are several places that could be stuck----valves,  bearings,  and rings/piston.  Since you are going to completely dissasemble it anyway,  it would be better to do so before trying to break loose the individual parts.  When you get to the piston,  tip the engine up so that the rust reaper can run around the piston and get to the rings.  Find a wooden post that is about the same size as the cylinder (make it fit real close)  make sure that the end will put pressure on the outside of the piston rather than the center.  Tap it out with a 3 pound or so hammer.
If you know the crank bearings are free,  you can use the flywheel to try to break loose the piston,  but you should remove the head and valve pushron assembly first.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

leweee

Dan ...check out this site. ;D

http://www.herculesengines.com/hercules/default.htm

Jeager bought Hercules engines to power their cement mixers. :P

Love that Unimog dump truck! 8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Fla._Deadheader

Take the Mag off FIRST. Sometimes, when you get the wheels to turn, you break the bracket that holds the mag. Can't remember now what brands are the worst, but, do it anyway. Patched parts on a complete engine don't look right. Usually, the Exhaust valve is sticky-stuck. Watch you don't break the bracket that holds the valve guide.

Turn it nose down and fill with Marvel and diesel. Let it sit a few days. When it starts to turn, GO SLOW and watch for binding parts. Them things turn easy, but, the wheels break stuff easy.

Musta help break loose a hundred of them things. My Dad was a founding member of South Jersey club, among others, and probably had 200 or more over the years.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Dangerous_Dan

Brought the engine inside the shop today.
Been spraying everything with PB Blaster.
Removed the head. Next I will be removing the magneto and related linkage parts.
I want to clean up the cylinder before trying to turn anything.
Should I try to take the carb off of the head or just clean it up with it still attached?

First you make it work, then you trick it out!

UNCLEBUCK

My neighbor got tired of fighting stuck pistons and pounding away with wood blocks and he swears up and down that now he dumps a can of coca-cola in the cylinders and come back the next day and the pistons will be laying on the floor . Glad I dont drink coca-cola  :)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

rebocardo

I know you guys like these things, because of how rare they are I am reposting a link to one that sounds in good shape

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/bar/336855138.html

3. 1937 Maytag Model 92 hit & miss engine. This engine is from an old washing machine. Straight out of the depression era. This engine comes on a nice cart to display it at shows, or at home. It runs well and comes with a boom tube exhaust for the shows, it will blow smoke rings on a still day. Its a great little engine and the pride of my collection, but for the right offer I will part ways with it. ($350)

If you would like to see pics of anything let me know and I will get back to you. I might trade for other things also. Shoot me an email if interested.

Chris Burchfield

I restored my grandfather's Fairbanks Morse 7 HP @ 350 RPM.  The head was busted as water was left in the water jacket and froze. This was brazed by a flywheeler with the skills to do so. I was then instructed to take the head to a local head shop here in Memphis. The man offered to order new valves for about $90 a piece. Or, he could turn down a couple of  diesel valves and cut them to length for $90 and install new iron sleeves total including new piston rings. I gave him a $100 and said thanks. If this worked it would be well worth it.

The inside of the cyliner was pitted from rust I sanded and slicked the pits with J.B. Weld. Honed the cylinders and put her together.

Wife was in Medical Assistant school at the time. I'd been out in the shop, hot summer time in Memphis with 90+% humidity trying to get her running. She's hit but just not enough to keep going. I called my uncle who'd run a garage for 50 years. He asked where I had the magneto firing. I said "top dead center." My uncle said set the firing just before TDC. I did. Now in my wife's school, she was required to wear the white nurse uniform, white hose and little cute hat. She'd made it out to the shop to see what I was doing. I asked her to hold the relief valve on the head in so I could spin the flywheels and she could release it. She said she wasn't touching that greasy thing. I said "WAIT," can you just put your foot on this board to hold the valve in? You don't have to touch anything greasy. She did. Now the engine had been flooded, spark plug wet I'm sure. I leaned over to adjust the carb., moving the flywheel that tripped the mangeto (?) KABOOM! A fireball rose from the exhaust elbow. as it rose, it became about two feet in diameter. After a good tongue lashing, with words I didn't know she knew, my help was gone. Another adjustment to just before TDC and I had her running. This part of the story was something I'll carry to my grave as a fond memory. Good luck. Chris.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

rebocardo

With the couple of e-mails I have gotten, I guess I was not clear about this.

I am -NOT- selling it.

I just remember people talking about and collecting them and this one looked in pretty good shape so I posted the link to it from my local (Atlanta) craigslist. Just doing a small favor for FF members.

Dave Shepard

Another note to anyone who is playing with these old engines, always make sure the valves are free before turing over the flywheels. If the wheels will turn only so far, the valve may be holding them back. If you try to "spin through" the hard spot, you may break the rocker arms off. I have seen many old engines ruined this way.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tim L

I have an old Jaeger mixer in my yard with no motor (all rusty) The wife hates it !
Do the best you can and don't look back

Fraxinus

I bet if you had the engine and not the clunky old mixer, she'd be a lot happier.
;) :D
Ya gotta love them old one-lungers.
Where are ye in Na Hampshah, Tim?
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

Tim L

I'm in Boscawen , there is a motor in it but its more modern than the machine. Sometimes wives can't see the true beauty in old iron !
Do the best you can and don't look back

swampy

Had a push lawn mower given to me the other day and it was stuck to. Took a little bit of rust reaper and put it in the spark plug hole and let it sit all day at the shop. The next morning took a small wood dowel and stuck it in the plug hole and gave it a slight tap with a small hammer while pulling the rope at the same time and it moved. Might try that and see if it works. I can remember pouring babbott bearings for some of those engines. 8) 8) 8) 8)
It only takes a little sawdust to become addicted. It's even better when you build your own. (HOMEMIZER a.k.a. HOMEY)

Thank You Sponsors!