iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Biodegradeable plastics

Started by SwampDonkey, June 07, 2007, 06:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

There is a Maine company looking at setting up a processing facility to take potatoes and turn them into biodegradable plastic. The company already makes plastics out of corn.

Even Toyota has plans to make the product since 2004.

Some info HERE.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jjmk98k

Looks as though they are not priced too much out of reach!

and you're doing good for the environment!
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Dan_Shade

George Washington Carver did a lot of research in this arena with soy beans, i think.

Henry Ford planted acres and acres of soybeans (I think) to make plastics for his car lines.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

jjmk98k

I thought carver did the peanut thing????

either way, its a good think..... but "big business" will stay on the cheap and buy plastic.....

I myself might just order some of those untensils for future hiking trips and so on..... bury and forget, its simply gonna dispose itself!
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Dan_Shade

Carver did lots of things, he was a truly amazing scientist and individual.  He also did a lot of work with sweet potatoes.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

SwampDonkey

Old topic brought to life.

In Maine, they have a store called Marden's. Well their plastic bags I believe to be biodegradeable plastic of sorts. Never asked them. But plastic bags that I came home with purchases this spring, have pretty much disintegrated. The last one here holding some yarn on a table, just turned into something similar to potato flakes. I had to vacuum it up, touch it and it would keep falling to pieces. :D

Just thought I would follow up on this old thread. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Never know what that place will have for bags. Seem like each time I am in there we get a diffeant bag.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

:D Yes your right. Here today and gone tomorrow.

woodmills1

UMASS Lowell has an engineered corn based plastic that is degradable, I think it is many years ago that it came out and has since been produced and used

this particular University of massachusetts campus is really a great school and is rising in the ratings as a well respected big bang for the buck university

only one problem with the so call bio degradable plastics

they do not really biodegrade, the corn links in the polmers biodegrade leaving smaller non degradable plastic polymers, so they are not a visual pollutant( that is good) but the non biodegradable plastic polymers still exist
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

redprospector

I guess I'm not politically correct on this, but I think we should eat food and figure out something else for plastics....hmm, I heard that margarine is only 1 molecule away from being plastic though.  :D

Honestly though, I tried some of the "bio-degradable flagging tape (made from corn) several years ago. What a waste of time. I could hang it in the morning, and the next morning the deer had pulled it all down and eaten it.  >:(
There are several of us in my area having trouble with rodent's getting into our vehicles and newer equipment, and chewing up wires. I haven't confirmed it, but my buddy said he did some research and found that the insulation on the wires on his pickup, and his skid steer are made from a plant based plastic.
This kind of crap may be good for the earth (haven't convinced me of that yet), but it's sure hard on the pocket book.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

SwampDonkey

Rodents (mice, mole and squirrels) will chew your wiring anyway. If you ever remodeled or demol'ed an old farm house that has been around before electricity you'll wonder how the place never burned down with all the hidden bare wire in the walls.  Not only that but gone brittle to. :o :o

Thank You Sponsors!