iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dry wood...how long before getting back it's humidity???

Started by roger 4400, November 29, 2012, 11:59:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyrocasto

roger, it really comes down to just how humid your garage is. My lumber gets stored in a building with no heat but doesnt regain much moisture overall, summer or winter. I dry it, store it, and when my family's cabinet shop needs it to goes over there. In the cabinet shop we have thousands of feet of lumber and hundreds of sheets of plywood with only heat and no ac or humidity control. In 16 years we've never had issues with MC of wood unless it was sent to us that way from someone else, and we're a 27 person operation. One time we had a problem with hickory cracking overnight after doors were made from it. The panels were hickory that I cut & dried, and the outsides was purchased(didnt have enough hickory of my own). All the outsides cracked overnight, and all the panels were perfect all the way through finishing and installation. The most troubles I've had with wood came from faulty drying but we do live in a very mild weathered place.

I will say one job we installed on the coast of North Carolina was 100k+ job, and they didnt climate control the house for 6 months after. Every joint in those cabinets showed and cracked the paint, and no it was not warrantied. I felt better when I saw light coming through their interior doors when the cracks had gotten so bad(we didnt do them).

All in all if I had consistently too much moisture in the garage or basement, then my quick simple fix would be a dehumidifier.

Thank You Sponsors!