iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shows anyone?

Started by moosehunter, May 06, 2014, 08:02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

I do a couple of local forest products shows with increased business as my primary goal. It seems to be a very good chance to talk with and educate people about portable sawmills (mine specifically!). May 30/31 June 1 I will be at the Erin Wood festival that is only 15 miles from home. This show is primarily lumber jacks and chainsaw carvers. I ask that the show promoters have logs for me and I donate any sawing to the show.
Does any one else do this? Your thoughts, ideas? I think I will take some specialty lumber I already have and try to sell it.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Magicman

I have done many and it is one of the very best advertising methods.  You may not get many sawing jobs on the spot, but folks remember and will call when they have a need.  Pass out plenty of business cards.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

X2, what Lynn said!  smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dboyt

Going to shows is like opening up a log.  You never know what you're going to get.... or when.  I recently got a call from a fellow who watched me saw at a county fair three years ago.  Some don't pan out, others do.  Farm show do fairly well for me.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

backwoods sawyer

x2 smiley_thumbsup
I have been doing an annual demonstration at the collage when they have their tree school. Not the time or place to run low on business cards so have plenty on hand, I set the lap-top up with a slide show of different milling jobs, saw a log and take the time to answer all questions and saw another log. Have a plan for the sawdust and tailing at the end of the day as well. I use a heavy billboard tarp to cover a 24x40 area so the area looks like I was never there when I pull out.
Good luck I picked up a 50,000 bft job after the show this year, it should get started next month 8) 8)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

moosehunter

Good suggestion about the sawdust, I did not think about that as the show I have been doing for three years is in the woods. This show coming up is in a Fireman's carnival field. They may not want a pile of sawdust left there! I'll find  tarp to take with me.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

york

Mike,think i`ll be there..
Albert

Thank You Sponsors!