iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of oak???

Started by strunk57, June 26, 2014, 12:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strunk57

I got a call yesterday from one of my regular customers, He is wanting to add on to his building with a 30' open side. He says he needs some oak for lath.(to screw the tin down on the truss). I say no prob when do you need it? he says yesterday, lol. I have a lot of other stuff to do, but since he is a repeat, repeat customer I tell him I will take care of him. Well anyway I cut this white oak in the corner of my property, I notice it has a different leaf, but didn't pay much attention. When I cut into the second log I find this.

I searched the leaf, the closest thing I could match was a post oak???? Is that what this is?

If so, What is it good for? And what is they're value?? I hate to sell something for lath that's worth a lot more.
99 timberking b-20. John deere 450c loader. 79 Chevy c-60 95 GMC 2500, Craftsman tablesaw, Dewalt 735 13" planer, stihl ms-290 Stihl 029, Husqvarna 394xp, dewalt router & table, various sanders/hand tools.

Den-Den

Not sure of the variety but probably one of the experts will weigh in on that.  The heart wood in your picture looks like it is rotten, is it soft?
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

strunk57

That's what I thought also, but I scraped it with my fingernail it seems hard as can be.
99 timberking b-20. John deere 450c loader. 79 Chevy c-60 95 GMC 2500, Craftsman tablesaw, Dewalt 735 13" planer, stihl ms-290 Stihl 029, Husqvarna 394xp, dewalt router & table, various sanders/hand tools.

Magicman

No way would I use or sell that second log for lathing. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

strunk57

For what reason MM? is it weak? it seems to be solid.

VT_Forestry

Definitely post oak, in the white oak family so typically used for things you would use white oak for.  Gets its name from previous uses for fence posts.  Some of the old farmers around here say the leaf is shaped like a cross because Jesus was crucified on a cross made out of post oak...dunno much about that but I'd say cut it for stuff you would use white oak for :)  I'll agree with some of the others...that one log is looking mighty doty in the middle.  I'm sure others with more experience working with it will chime in shortly 
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Magicman

With that much decay (rot) I would not trust it to hold a screw.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

strunk57

Thanks guys, I will discard it and continue. Great to be able to get some fast answers while eating lunch.

beenthere

QuoteHe says he needs some oak for lath.(to screw the tin down on the truss).

strunk
He probably wants the "lath" (purlins, I'd call them) strong enough to walk on, as well as strong enough to hold a screw.

Did he give you any specs as to thickness and grade of the pieces?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

strunk57

Quote from: beenthere on June 26, 2014, 02:40:29 PM
QuoteHe says he needs some oak for lath.(to screw the tin down on the truss).

strunk
He probably wants the "lath" (purlins, I'd call them) strong enough to walk on, as well as strong enough to hold a screw.

Did he give you any specs as to thickness and grade of the pieces?

He wants all oak 1x6x10

Bill Gaiche

I say post oak also. I just pulled these two leaves from trees in the yard. They are similar but looking at the two which are about 30' from each other they look a little different. The bark is different and the two leaves are different. They are close but not exactly the same. I still call them post oak. bg

POSTON WIDEHEAD

It is a Post Oak I'm pretty sure. A Post Oak leaf will resemble the "cross".
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

mesquite buckeye

Looks a lot like mine. ;D

Most of the post oak in Missouri is considered to be, in general, of inferior quality to other species of white oak, although I have seen some good ones. They color up a real nice red/orange in the fall. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

If that log is still solid, you can always sell it a fancy spalted stuff. Only problem is finding a buyer who will pay for it. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

kelLOGg

If he wants oak, he wants oak but I will pass this on anyway. Oldtimers in my neighborhood swear by sweetgum right off the mill as purlins. Nail it up before it twists, put the 5V roofing on it and when it dries you can't pull the nail out without the head coming off. Never tried it but would like to. Heck, I have never even sawn sweetgum.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: kelLOGg on June 26, 2014, 08:02:27 PM
Oldtimers in my neighborhood swear by sweetgum right off the mill as purlins.
Bob

Say it again Bob a little louder so some of these guys will hear it.  :D

I like Sweet Gum right off the mill for siding.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

JB Griffin

Definatly A white oak type and very doty, if left in the weather it would probably fall apart in 6mo.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

barbender

That's actually called "Firewood Oak". I would not deliver that to your repeat customer,  he would probably not repeat again. I sawed a bunch of bur oak (another white oak) I got into a fair amount of defect in the hearts like that. It's a real bummer when you get a 20' monster all squared up only to find the heart is rotten 4' in from each end >:(
Too many irons in the fire

strunk57

I got the order finished, the butt log of the post oak was good, the other two weren't. They make a good base to stack lumber on though. I had to cut a red oak to finish up but all is well.

phinds

Those spots look like white rot & I've seen white rot areas in oak that were just as solid as the rest of the wood and if it's that way after drying, it'll stay that way.
you can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

dboyt

I've cut a lot of post oak for trailer decking and other rough use.  Even straight grained logs tend to twist and warp badly.  Probably not a good thing for purlins.  If your customer hasn't put them up yet, I'd offer to replace them.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

LittleJohn

Should have sawn the second two sticks, and sold as SPALTED OAK  :D :D

...or used as fire wood

beenthere

Quote from: phinds on June 27, 2014, 10:23:25 AM
Those spots look like white rot & I've seen white rot areas in oak that were just as solid as the rest of the wood and if it's that way after drying, it'll stay that way.

That conclusion doesn't seem to fit "just as solid as the rest of the wood".  Just wondering ....

Here is a basic presentation that talks about brown rot and white rot fungi. Attributes significant strength loss to the white rot.
http://www.esf.edu/nekda/documents/WoodDecay-Anagnostsmallversion.pdf

And the author is from NY too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

phinds

Quote from: beenthere on June 27, 2014, 12:08:18 PM
Quote from: phinds on June 27, 2014, 10:23:25 AM

That conclusion doesn't seem to fit "just as solid as the rest of the wood".  Just wondering ....

Here is a basic presentation that talks about brown rot and white rot fungi. Attributes significant strength loss to the white rot.
http://www.esf.edu/nekda/documents/WoodDecay-Anagnostsmallversion.pdf

And the author is from NY too.

Yep, I agree in general but I have seen solid white rot in oak (more than one type as I recall). I've also seen it in other woods such as padauk and walnut. Here's an amazing (to me anyway) walnut piece. When I saw this posted on another forum, I was sure the cream-colored areas were somehow sapwood but they are solid heartwood with white rot and the black-line spalting that sometimes accompany it. Fingernail could not tell the difference between the clean heartwood and the white rot areas.

Hm ... I'm new here and can't seem to get a pic to upload. It tells me I don't have a gallery.  I'll check that later.  You can see the walnut piece at the bottom of my page on white rot, here:

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/_white_rot.htm

EDIT: And there's a piece of white oak with white rot (and black-line) spalting and wavy grain on my "spalted" page, which also has solid white rot areas. I wish I could have gotten a ton more of this stuff but somebody just sent me this one piece for my site.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/_spalted.htm

OK, I've figured out the image insertion. Here's the walnut:

you can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

WDH

That is an amazing piece of walnut for sure.  I have some red oak with white rot.  So far, I have not trusted it to sell it.  It is rough sawn, so I need to plane it and check it out to see how solid it is.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

5quarter

I've seen white rot in apple and bur oak. very unattractive but in the early stages, strength is not compromised.

Phinds...welcome to the forum. Glad to see you aboard. I've had your site bookmarked for years. one of the best wood ID sites on the net...great work! Feel free to post pics of any other wood oddities you may have just laying around... ;) ;D
On a side note: another member here who lives in Texas had a walnut in which the heart wood was marbled, but didn't have the "ambrosia" lines like yours has.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!