iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

End Coating Frozen Logs

Started by FarmingSawyer, January 20, 2015, 06:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarmingSawyer

I'm starting to accumulate several primo saw logs--apple, a highly figured beech, a nice yellow birch. I won't get to sawing them for a while, and I'm behind the 8-ball in getting them end-coated. I've used paint before to seal logs, but don't really want to again...... I'm just about to spend the $$ on clear Anchorseal......but will it work in 0˚ weather?
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

Geoff Miller

I have not used Anchorseal but have used Lee Valley log end sealer in cold weather. It is a water based wax emulsion which I believe is similar to Anchorseal. The only thing I found is that in cold weather the end sealer stays wet longer because it takes longer for the water to evaporate and leave the coating of wax.

4x4American

Could always heat em on with a salamander.  I wonder how the wax would do.  The wax in diesel fuel gels up in the cold, so I wonder how it'll fare in this application.  Wouldn't hurt to give em a call.
Boy, back in my day..

terrifictimbersllc

1-888-ENDCOAT  or www.uccoatings.com
PDF of Anchorseal 2 info attached below.  Doesn't say about low temp application.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

steve marek

I use anchorseal they have a winter blend works good
WM LT40HD logrite ach 718 woodmaster timber framing tools 3000 ford tractor 359 395 husky chainsaw woodmizer e50 single blade edger woodmizer 260 moulder 2538 mahindra tractor kd 250 kiln

dean herring

Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

AK Newbie

I have used standard Anchorseal in temps in the single digits with good results.  I think it will work just fine at lower temps!
LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: dean herring on January 24, 2015, 09:25:51 PM
Where do you get anchorseal?
I get it from the manufacturer, UC Coatings, at 1-888-ENDCOAT, or www.uccoatings.com online store, in 5 gallon pails.  You can get other sizes there too.
Some other places like Woodcraft Supply, also carry it in gallons. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

4x4American

Does it have anything to do with sealing boat anchors?  If so, then I would think you could get buckets of it at any Ford dealership  :D
Boy, back in my day..

5quarter

Normally I would take umbrage with that remark, but this afternoon I got my ford truck stuck in a corn field, hauling out a load of erc. My buddy came and pulled me and the trailer load out with a...with a...
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

5quarter

What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

sandhills

Quote from: 5quarter on January 26, 2015, 12:53:54 AM
chevy.  >:( ::)
Don't worry 5quarter, my Ford has pulled out a few chevys before  ;)

4x4American

;D

Ouch!

It's ok, they all get stuck.   Go to a mud bog event, you'll see.  Or if you want to see em all break down, go to the truck pulls.
Boy, back in my day..

shinnlinger

I end coat small pieces with a block of paraffin and a plumbers blow torch. 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

FarmingSawyer

I haven't gotten around to ordering any Anchorseal yet. I hit the most critical logs--some 14" & straight apples with some linseed oil thinned with turps. Soaked in nice, was fast and looks like it's done the job. And I can see the grain!

Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

WmFritz

I'm thinking as long as they are frozen, they won't dry at all and don't need sealing until: either the temperatures warm or the logs are sawn.

Is my thinking wrong?
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Thank You Sponsors!