iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TimberWolf or Built-rite ?

Started by BargeMonkey, December 31, 2015, 11:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

Wondering if any of you guys are running the big Built-rite splitter, or a TW-6 ? Always talked about building a big splitter but just don't the time. Leaving way to many blocks or ends on jobs, or giving the stuff away and using 40+ cord between 3 OWB's. I've got one of those upside down splitters for my skidsteer but works good for just breaking down the monsters. Have a built-rite processor but my saw dealer is timberwolf and has a TW-6 they want to move. Anything special to order on it or watch out for ?

OH logger

have one. its a great machine. get table grate and 6 way wedge. it will handle it. mine is older and has the auto cycle valve on it and I like that. I have a lot of  hard hours on it TROUBLE FREE 8). I can pull the 6 way off and halve the big stuff if need be very fast. its a lot more splitter than my tw 5
john

red

I want a TW-5 with tray but I am buying used . They hold their value and sell quickly.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

timberlinetree

I'm a true built rite fan! Both seem like nice machines. I wish I had the grate though.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

millcreek40

I bought a new Timberwolf tw5 splitter with a 4 way and six way wedge,log lift,grate and elavaror. I HATED IT way to slow and the wedge is to wide.as the wood goes past the wedge it does not push straight through.I had a American before the tw5 I liked it better it had a narrow wedge. I think if anyone runs one they would agree it would be better with a narrow wedge  just my 2cents

Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

Ed

This is the 3rd year on our TW-5, couldn't be happier. The autocycle is great.

Ed

OH logger

I would agree on it being a wide wedge. narrower I would think would be better. the tw6 is way faster than the tw 5
john

peterpaul

Hello, first time posting, long time lurker.

This past summer, I purchased a used TW6, with log lift, table grate, 4 and 6 way wedge, auto cycle valve.  I have only split around 10 cords with the TW6.  Disclaimer, my firewood production with the TW6 is a kin to killing an ant with a sledgehammer.  I plan on splitting approximately 20-25 cords a year.  I like (and luckily can afford) good, well designed equipment and I'm doing my best to spend my kids inheritance.

FYI, 6 years ago, I had purchased a well used (2002) TW3, tractor mounted splitter.  Note: the TW3 comes with a PTO Pump and does not run off the tractor hydraulics, therefore, the cycle time is very fast depending on PTO RPM.  I estimate that we split around 40-60 cord with it.  The only problem I had was that the valve handle broke, easy fix.  I did maintain it well and sold it this past fall for $100 more than I paid for it.  It had the 4 way wedge and table grate.   

I drooled over TW5 for a couple of years but was struggling with the cycle time compared to my TW3.  Timberwolf does manufacture a TW5FC (fast cycle) however they do recommended using it with a 6 way wedge which I wanted.

Last March, when I was shopping for a new splitter, I visited both Timberwolf and Built-rite factories as they are only 2 hours away.   

What I liked about Built-rite
- mom and pop manufacturing, very friendly.  Some may be uncomfortable with this but I like the idea of doing business with folks that know your name.
- greater flexibility in the design
- wedge drops down flush with the splitting surface
- motor on the opposite side of the splitter from the operator
- ability tow from either end with easily removable hitch.
- massive push block
- auto cycle valve standard

Note: Built-rite manufactures commercial splitters, they do not manufacture any homeowner models.

What I did not like about Built-rite
- price
- cosmetics although this is very minor with respect to a log splitter
- multi wedge is fixed to the wedge lift cylinder.

What I like about Timberwolf
- re-sale value, I feel I can get my money back if I take care of the splitter.
- Overall appearance, fit and finish is top shelf.
- Cycle time on the TW6
- I personally like the ability to easily remove the 6 way and 4 way wedges as they slip on.  I do not find the wide wedge to be a disadvantage.  I do like the way the wedges are designed as they have  a small lead on the bottom of the fixed wedge, then the vertical wedge engages the wood and then wings on the multi wedges as they are staggered back.

What I did and/or do not like about Timberwolf
- price, although I have a dealer very close by who offered a good discount on a new splitter.   
- these units are "mass produced", no customization allowed.  For example, I inquired about increasing the motor size so I could run a double pump and then run a conveyor and have the valve mounted on the splitter with quick disconnects.  My reasons were safety and one less motor to run.  Response was "that's a $10,000 pump" - end of discussion.
-location of the motor — noise and exhaust, it is adjacent to the operator.  Today while splitting I could feel my eyes burn from the exhaust.
-Timberwolf does not recommend towing the splitter as the axels will bend and suggest trailering.  I do not have a problem with this personally as I have an equipment trailer, but others may.
-Timberwolf no longer supplies the auto-cycle valve although they are available aftermarket and the mounting plate was not changed, about a $350 - $400 add on.

In closing, I do not think one could go wrong with either Timberwolf or Built-rite.  They share the same history.  It's what flavor appeals to you most.  Please note, the above are my personal opinions and experiences which many may or may not agree with.  Hope this helps.

Peter

Woodmizer LT15, Kubota 4330 GST, Wallenstein FX 85, Timberwolf TW6, homemade firewood conveyor

BargeMonkey

Everything you think your getting ahead you get knocked back 3 pegs. 

Picture of the 8.1 in our 644H today, just got done doing an expensive transmission, timberwolf splitter is going to wait.  :D

beenthere

Are we looking at the top of a piston?  or ??

Sorry to hear about the re-direction of plans.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

barbender

I'll quit whining about my cratered Jonsered piston now :o
Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

Quote from: beenthere on January 07, 2016, 11:39:47 PM
Are we looking at the top of a piston?  or ??

Sorry to hear about the re-direction of plans.
Piston got a little hot.  :D  I've seen a 6.8 burn an injector tip off and put 10gal of fuel in the base, I've never been an 8.1 fan but this one has 13.2khrs. not going to be cheap but this is our slow season for our gravel pit, rather see it happen now, bought a newer 644K with no hours last January because we figured this one was getting to the point of needing major component work.

Thank You Sponsors!