iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood on a Hakki Pilkie 1x37

Started by GRANITEstateMP, April 09, 2017, 10:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GRANITEstateMP

hahahaha, Jim, I was JUST THINKING, I'd better pack my bug netting for work today!  Off to grade some camp roads. Tis the season is right!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

GRANITEstateMP

Things are going along here in NH. Ran into some of those typical slowdowns.  Had a couple adjuster bolts that tension the infeed belt break.  Of course it happens on a Sunday when we were getting ready to rip 3 cord out!  Some custom tapping, a bit of grinding and the magic welding machine fixed that up.

The next slowdown has been logs.  A few guys around here have either cut back, or parked there stuff. On road is running around $6.31 a gallon at my last fill on the fuel jug. I don't fill my slip tank, it makes me sad when I do that, I stick to 5gal at a time now :-\.  I was pretty good about stocking up on logs this winter and spring, but I only have so much room in my dooryard.  I had about 25-30 cord of orders and only 15ish cord of logs kicking around.  One of the areas long-standing families got me a 10 cord load on Sat, so.it took some stress off, and now I can keep going at 3-5 cord a week without stressing for a bit!

I've got 2 cord done and delivered so far this weekend, hope to get another 2 done Sun and reload the log deck.  That'll also let me cross 2 customers off my to do.list, I like that!  

We're gonna try and a do a nice atv ride tomorrow too. All work and no play, makes Matt a complete and total pain in the... well, that's what my wife tells me ;D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

jimbarry

Here's a muffler mod I did on our 1x37Easy. When the wind blows from the south (50% of the time) it's no fun  having the exhaust blown in the face, so I come up with this.

jimbarry

Also made a 5 way splitter axe for the 1x37 out of some QT100. It allows the ability of smaller pieces to just be pushed through and stay round.

jimbarry

GRANITEstateMP

Jim, I like your muffler mode, but no flapper? I want everything to have a.flapper on top...which is weird cause nothing I own has a.flapper, I just want it to!

How do you like the Subaru 25hp engine? Do they still make them?  It's got to be better than the Pred I've got.

Let me know how the 5 way holds up. With the limited diameter these machines will eat, that may be super handy.  I've got a 6 way and hardly ever use it. The machine needs just a bit more power to run it, and the wings on it aren't long enough to make good splits.

Time to make big pieces of wood into little pieces of wood!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Hilltop366

I've often thought of making a "T" or "Y" shaped one for a 3 way split for my splitter, I figure that it would do the 2 way splits and the 3 way then I would only have to recycle the top piece for 4 way but I bought a different splitter that has a tray that moves back and forth with the pusher to return your split pieces with a much taller wedge and it is much easier to re-split that it is not worth the trouble to make.

newoodguy78

Granite your flapper comment made me laugh. Was recently replacing a muffler on a tractor had my 10 yo son helping me. I asked him what do you think do the old bologna cut on top so it comes out the side or straight up with a flapper?
Without a second of hesitation "flapper, gotta have a flapper the little tink tink tink noise is just COOL!!"
Needless to say it's got a flapper 

jimbarry

Thought of the flapper, but it was easier to put two holes in the bottom section of the flex pipe for drainage.

The 5 way is holding up. But on some large green maple it will stall. However, I have the ram set to max speed (meaning lowest force). So maybe if I slowed the ram some, it might not stall.

GRANITEstateMP

Between Fri and Sun I got 1 cord of pine, and 4 cord of hardwood worked up and delivered.  Man, I was wore out, looked forward to getting back to work so I could rest!  Lot's of maintenance this week and reloading my log brow. Really hoping for a helper or two next weekend, it sure is nice to share the load
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

jimbarry

I hear ya on that. We did 2 cord Sunday, 2 cord Friday and 2 cord Thursday. Gotta do a little over 50 more by September. Dunno if its gonna be possible, we swore we'd not do firewood in July and August this year like we did last year. Yet, here we are in the same predicament.

GRANITEstateMP

I like that no wood in July and August plan...but my math shows me booked out til late July. I do have a nice tent to put up over the processor when it gets hot. In the summer, we don't take atv rides after our Sunday wood processing, we switch up to taking a dip in the lake. 
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

hedgerow

I say the same thing every year no firewood in July and August. But it seems like that's when we have time. Spring comes and we are planting. Then into spraying season. July and August my two helpers and myself have time but boy the heat. This year in late May planting was done, it was dry and I had logs ready so we worked six or seven cord and got it loaded in trailers. We did have a light winter here so I don't have as much to do. We will still be doing some in July and August but not as much as we normally would. Fall around here is busy with grain harvest and field work and dirt work then it usually gets wet and then comes the snow and cold. My wood is out in pastures so I don't want to tear the grass up so we don't do firewood in the winter. 

barbender

Spring would be the ideal firewood season for me, but this spring was rain, rain, rain. So now I'm trying to make bundles around 90° heat. Mornings and evenings or even in the dark if necessary.
Too many irons in the fire

jimbarry

Fall, winter and spring for me. Rain, snow, wind...perfect weather so far as I am concerned. Even a warm day (20-25ºC) with clouds and a breeze, that's manageable. But straight up sunshine, yeah, no. I'll be inside thank you very much.

GRANITEstateMP

Sunday was a hot one here. We got two cord done, wanted to get three, but with 3 cuts left on the second cord the pto unit started acting up.

That was the sign that we should call it a day!  The belt gave us everything it had in it!

We did a short atv ride, even that was hot. A dip in the lake after deliverys was just what the doctor ordered
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

GRANITEstateMP

Hot & Cleanup

We are still in a heat wave, Sunday was another hot one. We got 2 cord done and into trailers but it was too much to.do.a third cord. Good news, my processor back orders are down to 20 cord. Bad news my 22in wood orders are around 15 cords, and thats more labor intensive!

Clean up

I haven't counted lately, but we've got to have run about 60 or so cord so far this year. After cooling off Sunday for a while, I took the grapple off and put the bucket on. cleaned the chaff, saw dust, chips, bark off the driveway, around the processor, and at the brow.  The door yard is back to looking somewhat respectable!  I've still got to reload the brow and move some logs but at least it's tiddy.

My son was.fighting some kind of allergy deal this weekend. I took today, Monday, off to hang with him and get him back to 100%. I made a honey do list and am trying to avoid the woodlot til at least the afternoon...wish me luck
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

barbender

Even when it's hot, you've got to keep that dooryard cleaned up!😁
Too many irons in the fire

GRANITEstateMP

The high humidity took the morning off, so we were able to get 3 cord done this am. My town had a parade celebrating its 300th year yesterday. The family alk participated, then we had fireworks last night, we're all a bit tired today. The boy decided he'd take a short ciesta during cord 2.

I swear, the kid can sleep ANYWHERE! We had to wake him up shortly after the pic, I don't think Mum would like the 18in chunks falling on him after we move the trailer ahead.

Hope to get completely back on track this week. 13 more cord of processor wood on my to do list, another12 cord of oversized wood that is a bit more hands on to do also. If my notes are right, we've done 73 cord so far this year!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Spike60

You don't know how I envy your son being able to nod off and catch a quick nap like that!
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

cutterboy

Hey Granitestate, nice looking wood.
The boy seems very relaxed in his job. :D  But seriously, it's great that you have him working with you.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

GRANITEstateMP

spike, I wish I could sleep like him too!

cutter, he does more "supervising" than helping. But, he knows if he wants to do the atv ride after weekend firewood, you got to put in some time!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

GRANITEstateMP

A 13 cord load of log length just showed up, guess we won't be getting to the over sized logs this weekend, we'll keep making a dent in the processor wood orders. I think I can see the end of the order list in sight!

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

cutterboy

That should keep you busy for a while. I hope the temps cool down a bit to make things more comfortable to work outside. What kind of wood is in that pile? I think I see oak but it's hard to tell with the sun on the wood on top.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

GRANITEstateMP

We got a short break from heat, but it came back!

Cutter, while they were unloading, I saw red and white oak, maple, a few ash, some ugly cherry, and a few beech
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Thank You Sponsors!