iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood on a Hakki Pilkie 1x37

Started by GRANITEstateMP, April 09, 2017, 10:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

My Woodmizer also came from one of those people. Sometimes I stand there and wonder, "how could you even bend/break that?"

The incorrect guage chain was one mystery I had to figure out on the Dyna. Another one, for some reason the factory governor springs on thevKohler 38 had been switched with a hardware store spring. When you think something is factory original and can't figure out why the engine over revs and doesn't respond to any adjustments, let's just say it makes one want to pull hair out😬 Finally ordered OE springs, installed and all was well. What they put the hardware ones on for I have no idea. Don't even want to know🤦‍♂️
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

jimbarry

Looks like I have to be more aggressive with redressing a bar next time based on videos I watched earlier. 

New blade on. Working good now.

barbender

Jim, you're too far into this venture to still call your saw bar a blade😁

I'd be looking to see if the rails spread on your old bar.

Corley5

If the groove is hogged out no amount of dressing to the rails will help  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

jimbarry

Quote from: barbender on August 27, 2022, 10:41:16 AM
Jim, you're too far into this venture to still call your saw bar a blade😁

I'd be looking to see if the rails spread on your old bar.
Brain is still picturing that machete picture I seen online a couple days ago made from an Oregon bar. :) This weekends AI software update should fix my brain. I'll be good come Monday. ;) 

GRANITEstateMP

Jim, good to hear that the new bar got ya back to makin wood!  I looked at mine the other day, install date was May of 2021, so mine is about due for replacement.

We did a midweek cord this week trying to get caught up. Of course I got the whole works running, made 1 cut, then shredded the belt that runs my little PTO Unit. It was my last new belt, kicked myself for not reordering after the last failure. You never know what's gonna be out of stock or on eternal back order these days! 4 belts should be here Tues
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

jimbarry

Quote from: GRANITEstateMP on August 27, 2022, 06:58:19 PM
Jim, good to hear that the new bar got ya back to makin wood!  I looked at mine the other day, install date was May of 2021, so mine is about due for replacement.

We did a midweek cord this week trying to get caught up. Of course I got the whole works running, made 1 cut, then shredded the belt that runs my little PTO Unit. It was my last new belt, kicked myself for not reordering after the last failure. You never know what's gonna be out of stock or on eternal back order these days! 4 belts should be here Tues
Yes, spare parts are a necessity for sure. The master shut off switch went on the skidsteer today. No spare but I did have a spare 4 gauge cable long enough to hook the ground to the engine. 

barbender

So the Hakkis use a regular chainsaw bar, they seem to hold up well? Frankly I'm amazed sometimes at the abuse the harvester saw bars will endure, they are pretty dang tough!

jimbarry

Quote from: barbender on August 27, 2022, 11:35:19 PM
So the Hakkis use a regular chainsaw bar, they seem to hold up well? Frankly I'm amazed sometimes at the abuse the harvester saw bars will endure, they are pretty dang tough!
I don't think harvester bars come in that size (16"). I see on Bailey's that they sell a 17", that might fit but its for 404 chain. I don't know if the sprocket would have to change out as well. MAybe HP designed it for off the common off the shelf parts.

jimbarry

barbender

I truly admire your organized yard!

barbender

I wasn't suggesting you try to switch to a harvester bar. I'm just curious how the regular bars hold up, but it's kind of hard to compare if you haven't used both. On a CTL harvester, it isn't uncommon to snag your bar and bend it, and just extend it, set it down on a stump to bend it back, and party on!😁 I know on my Dyna processor, I've snagged the bar when feeding wood many times, never bent it. I've had wood make the chain half derail many times as well, never even chipped a rail.

barbender

There's a few mods I'd like to do to my Dyna machine. The first is a "hard stop" like the Hakki has, mine just has a dangling chain. The Euro machines have a lot more professional engineering go into them, that's for sure.

Corley5

I'll get 500-600 face cords out of an Oregon harvester bar on my Block Buster.  Usually grind the shoulders off once and by the time they could be ground again the groove is wallowed out and it's time for a new bar.  I've considered a bar rail closer but after that many cords the bar doesn't owe me anything and it's time for a new one.  I've only had one tip fail and I'm sure that was a manufacturing defect.  I didn't get a 50 face cords out it.  I've been running GB bars and I think they're lasting longer than the Oregons.  Jury's still out on that.  Oregon has stepped up their quality.  For a time, the bars and especially the chains were soft.  Not so much now.  I've tried Orbit saw chains, made in China, they hold an edge pretty well, but the drivers are soft and the chains begin to lay over in the cut long before they should.  Cost wise with the shipping on them they aren't worth it to me.   

barbender

Yeah 500-600 face cords is nothing to complain about at all. 

jimbarry

Quote from: barbender on August 28, 2022, 11:08:57 AM
There's a few mods I'd like to do to my Dyna machine. The first is a "hard stop" like the Hakki has, mine just has a dangling chain. The Euro machines have a lot more professional engineering go into them, that's for sure.
That hard stop also pivots away from the end of the block as the saw bar comes down so that the block doesn't get jammed up between the bar and the stop on its way down to the trough.

jimbarry

Quote from: barbender on August 28, 2022, 01:25:15 PM
Yeah 500-600 face cords is nothing to complain about at all.
Ditto. That's about what I got from this recent bar replacement.

jimbarry

Discovered a tear in the infeed belt today. What options might there be to fix this? 

barbender

Hmm...I don't know if you could patch it with he belt lacing that is used to join the belt ends? I've wondered myself, for when the day comes but that's as far as I've got with it.

barbender

The pivoting part of the hard stop is what I need to study to engineer something for mine.

Corley5

Get a Flexco alligator staple tool and the appropriate staples and hinges.  I've used a Clipper lacing tool as well but the Flexco system is superior.

jimbarry

I tried a couple caveman methods to pop out this sprocket shaft. Did more damage than achieve anything. I'm just smart enough to stop before digging this hole any deeper. Made a call to the HP dealer and emailed him pictures of what I am dealing with. He's never seen a factory shaft like that so he suspects a previous owner might of had something made up. Anyway, this unit is packed up and being shipped to the HP dealer for them to figure out. I've got other duties to attend to.  laundry-smiley

jimbarry

Quote from: barbender on August 28, 2022, 02:51:07 PM
The pivoting part of the hard stop is what I need to study to engineer something for mine.
you want a video?

barbender

Thank You Sponsors!