iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3/8 chain on a 261c

Started by Cruiser_79, January 07, 2021, 03:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sumpnz

So I understand this topic better, to run a 3/8 chain on the 261 you just need a different nose sprocket on the bar?  Wouldn't you also need to change the sprocket on the powerhead?

I'm looking at the 261 to replace a Husqvarna 350 as mentioned in another thread.  I also have an MS-461, which of course is set up for a 3/8" 0.050ga chain, and it would be handy to only need to get 1 spool of chain.  I've previously just bought individual chains from the shop, so I have several 78dl .325 chains for that Husky (20" bar), but most of them have been pretty well used up by now anyway.

Looking at the Stihl chart, the 261 generally uses an 0.063ga semi-chisel chain, while the 461 can use either an 0.050 or 0.063ga but either way usually a full chisel.  If one were to standardize the chains between the two saws what would you pick for gauge and chisel type?  

Or, should I not bother trying and just get a second spool so I can run .325 chain on the 261?

sawguy21

You can run .050 on your MS261, just use the matching bar. That is the way most come here, we seldom see .063 except for with .404 on the big Stihls. I have seen 3/8 on the MS260/261 but it has to be kept properly sharpened and not pushed, let the saw do the work.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

lxskllr

All parameters have to match. You need the correct drive sprocket, nose sprocket, and gauge. I believe Stihl only sells .325 in .063G, so your old Husky bars won't work unless you convert from one to another.

Everyone says .325 is a nice setup for a 50cc saw, but I don't like it cause it doesn't match anything I have. They're pretty much exclusive to 50cc saws, while 3/8 and 3/8lp have a wide range of application. If *I* were buying a new 261, I'd set it up 3/8 with a 16" bar. It may not be the best, but it simplifies life.

Tacotodd

I have bought from my Stihl dealer 2 loops of .325 in .050 RS for my 55cc saw. 

Yes, @lxskllr you said it correctly that you do ALSO need to change the drive sprocket AND everything has to match.

As far as .058 goes. The Stihl dealer may have a difficult time getting the chain for it, but it's listed in their catalog. BUT, just because it's listed doesn't mean that they will have or can easily get the chain in question.
Trying harder everyday.

Greyhound

I run 3/8 RS chain on my MS261 (ported) 16-20" bar/chain, just because that is what I run on my MS361 and MS461.  It's fine.  .325 ran fine too.

lxskllr

Ah, I stand corrected. I didn't see .325 listed with anything other than .063 in their b&c guide, and I hadn't seen any in person. Not being able to run Stihl chain would be a deal breaker for me. If I couldn't get Stihl chain, I wouldn't consider the saw.

hamish

Quote from: lxskllr on January 12, 2021, 06:50:50 PM
Ah, I stand corrected. I didn't see .325 listed with anything other than .063 in their b&c guide, and I hadn't seen any in person. Not being able to run Stihl chain would be a deal breaker for me. If I couldn't get Stihl chain, I wouldn't consider the saw.
Stihl chain can be had in .050, .058, and .063, its a regional thing.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

Reddawg

A .325 on the 261cm is a good way to go in my experience. Have been pushing my dealer for the NK b/c , light 04, that is only available in Europe. 
No telling when it will be state side, but I would run the rollmatic  E 18" bar with the 325 semi-chisel . It's a nice combination until the NK comes around. Then it will come to life!

Tacotodd

.325 works great for me, but my "experimenting mind" just wants to know what kind of difference I can expect it to be.

The 3/8 seems to stay sharper without the constant sharpening of the .325. But  MAYBE I'm just being overly subjective, I don't know.

Like @Spike60 aggreed with me, only 1 way to know, and that's to try.
Trying harder everyday.

Cruiser_79

Quote from: Tacotodd on January 13, 2021, 03:12:43 PM
.325 works great for me, but my "experimenting mind" just wants to know what kind of difference I can expect it to be.

The 3/8 seems to stay sharper without the constant sharpening of the .325. But  MAYBE I'm just being overly subjective, I don't know.

Like @Spike60 aggreed with me, only 1 way to know, and that's to try.
I have that feeling to. My brother has a saw with .325, and especially in trunks i have the feeling his chains got damaged much sooner due to the sand/gravel on bottom. And it is annoying when I sharpen them with my Oregon sharpener that i have to change discs all the time between .325 and 3/8 chains. 
If I can make a good price for the used 261 I think I try a 3/8 chain, when it doesn't work I can still swap to the original .325 bar. 

olcowhand

When I bought my MS261C-M, I had the Sprocket, 16" Bar and Chain swapped over to 3/8", for the very reason mentioned. I wanted all my saws to run the same chain so my sharpening tools were common, and B/C combos were interchangeable. That saw has no problem running the 3/8" full Chisel, with a 16" Bar, but I have run the 20" bar on it with no ill effect. I cut all hardwood, and I frequently bury the bar in Maple or Beech. I use a sharp chain and I let the saw tell me when it's "eating to fast", and it does fine. There are many similar posts on this site with good feedback, and mine has consistently been that the 261 will run fine with a 3/8 chain.
I know nothing of the LP version, but I recall Willard posting something related to its use...
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Old saw fixer

My 026 was set up with 3/8 chain on a 16 inch bar, I never noticed a problem.  The 261 is stronger, after it's broken in I may try the 16" 3/8 bar combo on it.  I may have a 3/8 rim sprocket that will fit.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Mountain_d

Quote from: Tacotodd on January 07, 2021, 04:12:51 PM
I am trying the same experiment with one of my saws but I'll just find out. I have a 16" bar on my 55cc saw but feel like I might need to use full skip to keep the chain speed up for it.

I found a VERY useful section in MY Oregon catalog that I've used to convert my length of chain based on drive link counts. My situation calls for .325 at 68 dl. When I convert it calls for 3/8x60.

How many dl does your current .325 use or did you find a proper 3/8 for yourself?
TacoTodd
Can you give a link to that Oregon catalogue or provide an image of that page with the DL,s? I want to change my 550xp to 3/8 with a 18 inch bar and 0.058 gauge. The saw came with 0.050 gauge. 
Thanks.
Mountain 
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

Tacotodd

@Mountain_d I just asked 1 of my local Oregon dealers if he could get me a current 1. He said no. I asked him if he had any old ones. As luck would have it, he did, and didn't mind GIVING that 1 to me. The price was fine with me smiley_clapping I hope that I have helped you in some way.

If you need a chain DL of one thing converted into the DL of another, just give me pertinent information and I'll do my best.

BTW, my experiment is on hold right now due to a faulty B & C oiler. Shame on me (I haven't even torn it down to find out the problem exactly, yet).

I'd provide an image, but I haven't taken the time to COMPLETELY figure out the process yet. I've just now figured out how to take pictures with my smart ___ phone. PM me and I ll give you more information.
Trying harder everyday.

hamish

Quote from: Mountain_d on January 16, 2021, 07:23:23 AM
Quote from: Tacotodd on January 07, 2021, 04:12:51 PM
I am trying the same experiment with one of my saws but I'll just find out. I have a 16" bar on my 55cc saw but feel like I might need to use full skip to keep the chain speed up for it.

I found a VERY useful section in MY Oregon catalog that I've used to convert my length of chain based on drive link counts. My situation calls for .325 at 68 dl. When I convert it calls for 3/8x60.

How many dl does your current .325 use or did you find a proper 3/8 for yourself?
TacoTodd
Can you give a link to that Oregon catalogue or provide an image of that page with the DL,s? I want to change my 550xp to 3/8 with a 18 inch bar and 0.058 gauge. The saw came with 0.050 gauge.
Thanks.
Mountain
Small mount K095 and 68DL for 3/8
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Thank You Sponsors!