iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log prices

Started by Firewoodjoe, August 24, 2020, 07:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

Are you guys seeing any changes or heard anything? Just curious. 

Dave Shepard

Not in the loop at the moment, but Log Street Journal posted on FB that prices were soaring due to renovation demand. I don't know the validity of that. I may be cutting some nice hardwood this fall if the prices are decent. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

nativewolf

Only good logs info but here it is: RO has popped back up with the exporters% $800 for 2-3 side clear stuff and 1500 for good butts.  Hickory doing ok, WO still strong.  Canadian mills desperate for wood, they'll truck many times- for you guys in MI I bet that's not a terrible option.  All in all yes.  Not sure what Sugar Maple is doing right now, maybe @ehp could chime in.  

Liking Walnut

quilbilly

Pnw softwood markets are hot. Hardwood not so much 
a man is strongest on his knees

moodnacreek

If it's going to get good again October should be the month.  Got a load of r.oak/ash baking here and 'my' buyer won't come for less than a truck and pup.

BargeMonkey

I can definitively tell you after thursday, hope to ship 3 triaxle load of decent wood. Buyer has told me to stay out of the good wood, real nice maple, after Halloween it's supposed to really come back. 

Firewoodjoe

Interesting. Seems you here good and bad. That's what I'm I'm told here lol  "We can't pay a lot but we need it bad when can we get it" 

WDH

Southern Pine log prices are not increasing.  Plenty of supply.  Lumber market is hot, though. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mike_belben

So its like southern beef prices then?  

Empty shelves at peak prices but down for the grower.  Something in the middle doesnt make sense. Like every other covid anomoly.
Praise The Lord

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: mike_belben on August 25, 2020, 06:36:26 AM
So its like southern beef prices then?  

Empty shelves at peak prices but down for the grower.  Something in the middle doesnt make sense. Like every other covid anomoly.
I think a lot of that is going on now. I'm seeing a little more iron for sale too. Everyone is working so I think it's just spare machines they want to get sold before the buyers are broke. 

mike_belben

With money dilution coming on strong in the coming years theyre gonna see their old iron prices double and wish they kept em to sell at the new price.  Same as everyone on earth said about their chevelle or dart or skylark etc etc.   Im not saying an old skidder is worth more but rather the future dollars are worth less.

Id speculate thats whats happening to housing prices.  Despite a very shaky boom bust economy and overall destabilizing national conditions, real estate is skyrocketing.  Im pretty comfident thats being lead by genuine wealth simply buying houses as a hedge against the printing press. Id snatch all the land i could right now.
Praise The Lord

Banjo picker

Quote from: mike_belben on August 25, 2020, 07:12:39 AM
With money dilution....

future dollars are worth less.

Yesterday Deb and I went by a little hole in the wall burger joint that I use to go when I was a kid with my dad.  Burgers then were 10 cents now they are $1.00.  And not quite as good.  Dad bought a New Plymouth for $3000.00.  Now you can get something similar for $30,000.  Probably not as sturdy.  Burgers and cars have went up 10 times.  Minimum wage when I was in school was $1.65.  What is it now?  I don't know.  But if you want any decent help you will pay them 10 times that amount.  That Trent will likely continue.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

mike_belben

That is the real "inflation" measure.   Which is intentional disinformation itself.  "2 ways to conquer: By the sword or by debt."  Inflation is when more existing dollars of a hard backed currency at a fixed exchange rate are suddenly conjured into an area by an increase in genuine enterprise..and the sudden rush of cash is competing for the same, slow to increase volume of goods and services.  Vendors raise their price in order to modulate demand down to what is manageable for them to produce.  They can only turn out so many widgits once you hit 3 shifts.

You cannot have inflation with a fiat currency by printing and injecting more of it by central banks and direct mailed govt "stimulus."  That is dilution.  The treasury/fed just wont admit it.

BK & Ford didnt water down the whopper or the F350.  The fed watered down the paper we buy them with and weve all become slaves to printing press dilution that really got rolling under 2big2fail and hasnt let up.  Your savings can never keep up so you can never quit slaving.

The only way to fix our economy is to burn the currency, not issue more.  Consumer prices would immediately fall.  

You cant borrow your way out of debt but you can sink a country that way. When they stop minting coins and printing small bills, a revolution is usually soon to follow. 
Praise The Lord

timberking

Second the motion on SYP saw timber still being soft.

ehp

Im getting the same as last couple years , good high grade maple donot cut but I cut the rest , if good butt logs but not veneer I have been getting $150/1000 more than before . But I do feel a raise should becoming soon

nativewolf

Long time no hear @ehp, how are things in Canada?  AMEX keeps begging for wood but they don't raise prices very quickly (though they finally are starting to).  Weather been good?  
Liking Walnut

BAN

Peelers have jumped $100 thousand but pine and Hew haven't moved yet.

ehp

everything is fine here , been a real hot summer . Been doing stuff with my kids and wife plus logging.  Been talking to other mills as they just show up on my landing , all of us feel the same way . Next year its going to suck and everything is going to slow down or stop . Hard maple took a good move up today but the top veneer is still pretty bad . Had another mill email me a price list today but all they want is low grade but the price they put on the price list was so low you would be a fool to cut for that price . I mean it was so low I have never seen log prices like that , well maybe in 1970

Cub

Depressed prices would be an understatement. The 2 verso pulp mills north of me that just about everyone hauls to has shut everyone off until end of September at least. They put most on quota starting in July. Bolt prices dropped 20-30 dollars a cord and everyone is full. Sawlog prices are half of last year and no verneer market for anything. I sure hope things turn around fast. I have lots of wood to cut this fall and winter. 

nativewolf

Quote from: Cub on August 26, 2020, 05:44:14 PM
Depressed prices would be an understatement. The 2 verso pulp mills north of me that just about everyone hauls to has shut everyone off until end of September at least. They put most on quota starting in July. Bolt prices dropped 20-30 dollars a cord and everyone is full. Sawlog prices are half of last year and no verneer market for anything. I sure hope things turn around fast. I have lots of wood to cut this fall and winter.
Yeah WI took a hit with the two mills closing.  Sorry to hear about the tough situation there.  Veneer may pick up soon as the cool weather returns (for you in about a month  :D).  We actually hear of overseas demand increasing so maybe that will move your sawtimber and veneer up.  
Lots of Ponsse guys are on the way to Louisiana tonight, looking to do salvage cleanup following the hurricane.  Maybe that will take some supply off the market? 
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: ehp on August 26, 2020, 04:49:41 PM
everything is fine here , been a real hot summer . Been doing stuff with my kids and wife plus logging.  Been talking to other mills as they just show up on my landing , all of us feel the same way . Next year its going to suck and everything is going to slow down or stop . Hard maple took a good move up today but the top veneer is still pretty bad . Had another mill email me a price list today but all they want is low grade but the price they put on the price list was so low you would be a fool to cut for that price . I mean it was so low I have never seen log prices like that , well maybe in 1970
Sometimes I wonder what these bottom fishers are doing?  I really can't believe people send them wood.
Liking Walnut

Cub

Yeah it's definitely tough going here. I'm not sure what a lot of guys are going to do. I have a feeling the pulp mills will keep most shut off past September. They are hauling lots of wood from Wisconsin rapids up here so I think they will process that before they open back up. Heard around 20,000 cord they have  sitting in the yard down there. Not sure what will happen going forward. I think there will be some bankruptcies and bank owned equipment for sale in the next few months. 

OH logger

Stumpage is CRAZY high here right now. I'm not even lookin at bid sales. Don't wanna lose money and work for nothin. If I wAnt excersize I'll buy a treadmill 
john

Firewoodjoe

Hmm maybe someone knows something we don't.  

SwampDonkey

Marketing board here still showing old hardwood log prices since June, so not changing much. The sawmill will likely see the raise because up here they have a steady supply of public owned wood. Without that the mill doesn't get built. The mill sets purchase price for that wood, not DNR. There is no bid process.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!