iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SAW LOG PRICES

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, July 29, 2012, 05:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Does anyone know what Pine saw logs are bringing at the mills? I know mills buy by the ton and that's fine.
I'm wanting to post an ad locally and accept Pine logs. Do ya'll know what I should offer a BF?

Thanks, David
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

tyb525

Free haul away and disposal ;D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: tyb525 on July 29, 2012, 05:12:07 PM
Free haul away and disposal ;D

Sounds good, but I don't haul. Gotta bring 'em to me just like taking them to the mill.
I have been getting FREE logs from tree trimmers for over a year and it seems this method is drying up FAST.

No one is removing trees right now.

locustoak

my local mill is paying $.20/board foot on the Doyle scale Delivered to their yard, regardless of grade. 
It's a buyers market right now.

hamptonlawyer

Gate price here around $50 a ton. 25 tons on the truck (average).  Timber markets are very localized, so take that with a grain of salt. Biggest problem would be unloading, I would think.

WDH

I would think about $45 per ton for 8" top minimum.  The problem would be getting a logger willing to haul you just a few loads for that price, so you might have to sweeten the deal to make it worth their while.  I agree that unloading would be the issue.  When I have bought a truckload in the past, I had them drop the trailer at the end of the day on Friday so that I had the weekend to pull all the logs off with my tractor on Saturday and Sunday, so early on Monday morning, they came back and picked up the trailer.  That way, their trailer was not tied up waiting on me to unload a log at a time. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I put an ad on C.C. about 2 hours ago. I had a logger call me just now who is bringing me approx. 3,000bf of 10'6" saw logs this Thursday.
We haggled on the price and he accepted $1.50 BF on the Doyle. I was thinking this seems pretty good.

Our mills will not accept anything over 22 dib. The larger logs is what I will be buying up to 33".

I am TIRED of all the METAL from tree trimmers and since their business has slowed down, now is a good time to bite the bullet and buy nice saw timber.

Plus the tree trimmers bring me smaller logs and you work yourself to death trying to saw 150 boards a day.

With larger saw logs, it'll be easier to meet by personal daily quota and no metal since it's coming from a plantation, not a back yard.

shelbycharger400

earlier this year a pallet mill was buyin , delivered to their yard, 10 to 14 in dia or so white pine for 2 bux,  and red pine/jack pine for 3 bux a running foot.  i havent calculated what it was for board foot.

Buck

Dang David, You're too far away. I just turned down about a load and a half for the hauling.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Buck on July 29, 2012, 09:25:49 PM
Dang David, You're too far away. I just turned down about a load and a half for the hauling.

That's my luck Buck!  :)

ilog4u2

"I put an ad on C.C. about 2 hours ago. I had a logger call me just now who is bringing me approx. 3,000bf of 10'6" saw logs this Thursday.
We haggled on the price and he accepted $1.50 BF on the Doyle. I was thinking this seems pretty good."

I hope you meant $150 a thousand... $1.50 per board ft. Of pine is WAY high.We smile big up north here when we sell our maple veneer (rotary grade) for around that on average.Pine up here brings about $250/ thousand delivered in.

hamptonlawyer

Quote from: ilog4u2 on July 29, 2012, 10:15:52 PM
I hope you meant $150 a thousand... $1.50 per board ft. Of pine is WAY high.We smile big up north here when we sell our maple veneer (rotary grade) for around that on average.Pine up here brings about $250/ thousand delivered in.

I've been scratching my head and doing the math on that one myself.  I just didn't want to be the first one to speak up and show my ignorance if I was missing something! However, if you really mean $1.50 a board foot, then I can have some log strucks rolling north in the morning!!  ;D

barbender

I think I'll send one south ;D Clear this up for us Poston, $150MBF is giveaway price up here, $1.50 per bf, I'm comin south to log pine so I can supply you :o
Too many irons in the fire

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: barbender on July 29, 2012, 11:33:19 PM
I think I'll send one south ;D Clear this up for us Poston, $150MBF is giveaway price up here, $1.50 per bf, I'm comin south to log pine so I can supply you :o

I just came in and checked to see if I had anymore replies............HOLY MOLY........
What I meant to say was $150.00 a thousand Board Feet is what I'm paying for saw logs.

Sometimes my fingers don't do what I am thinking.  :D

Cypressstump

I just spoke to a guy yesterday local here, he has some very nice pine logs,12-14 of them,  16'-6" each, and approx. 22-28 inches dia each.
Told me I could come get them for $300 a thousand.  Sounds a bit high to me, especially having to pickem' up.These were taken down by powerline service guys alongside a major highway, therefore they likely have major metal in them as well. I'm sure he got them for free.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

CalebL

Most of the time I get pine free.  When I don't get it free I usually pay .14 a foot doyle. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

WH_Conley

Last commercial mill around here that would take pine was at $200.00 per thousand Doyle, 16" minimum, nothing smaller.
Bill

Mark K

$275 per thousand delivered here.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: CalebL on July 30, 2012, 05:55:52 PM
Most of the time I get pine free.  When I don't get it free I usually pay .14 a foot doyle.

14 cents sounds like a SWEEEET DEAL! If they're good saw logs.

WDH

$150/MBF Doyle is a SWEEEET DEAL too, for the size logs that you are talking about!

The going rate in most parts of the South for tree-length pine sawtimber stumpage less than 26" on the butt is about $25/ton.  That is $200/MBF Doyle on the stump.  This is before any logging and hauling. 

I wish that I had you working for me in the 1990's when I was procuring wood for a large pine sawmill  :)  That mill used 100 loads per day. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Our local mill ..."CHESTER WOOD PRODUCTS" takes BIG logs to produce plywood. They have MORE THAN a full lot right now and are not accepting logs at this time. Some of these loggers are getting hungry. I had another fellow call me today that has 6 acres of logs measuring 28 inch dbh. He says he will saw them and haul them to me for $100.00 a thousand. That's what I offered him because I was hoping he would say no because I have all those other logs coming Thursday. Well...shoot.....he said $100.00 was good for him, he needs the money and he only lives 11 miles from me.

With all the logs coming, my Dad said I should look into a new market to saw and sell log cabin logs since all the logs will be uniform. Might not be a bad idea.

But I have to remember, all I have told you......not a log has shown up yet.  :D  The first load should be here Thursday. I'll take a few pics when and if they come in.

WDH

$100/MBF won't pay for the cut and haul.  They must really be hurting.  Check into it enough to assure yourself that the wood is not stolen.  That is a problem that you do not need. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on July 30, 2012, 09:17:37 PM
$100/MBF won't pay for the cut and haul.  They must really be hurting.  Check into it enough to assure yourself that the wood is not stolen.  That is a problem that you do not need.

This particular guy is not a logger.....just a private farmer who cannot get anyone to cut his logs because he said that (they say) 6 acres was to small of a job. He has a loader and trailer and says the topography is level enough to where he can get to them with no trouble. Right now it's dry as a bone up here so I hope he starts cutting.

WDH

treefarmer87

150/1000 bf here for logs. $17 a ton for pulpwood. wish you were closer i could bring you plenty of good logs. :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Thank You Sponsors!