iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just got a Timberjack 208D

Started by Firewoodjoe, March 01, 2020, 03:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

I'm guessing these are PR52 axles from what I've read. Do I need to get the numbers off it to order parts. A couple brass pins are leaking and I'd like to be ready before it's to late. It's a 353 and it seems it was swapped out to a opistit rotation engine. Exhaust is on opposite side it was originally on and the forwarder reverser backwords. It all works fine and has been for some time. So I'm assuming that won't hurt anything in the future? Any tips I'll take thanks.

Maine logger88

Look like pr52 to me but I've never owned one with them so take that for what it's worth. on any of the jacks  with the reverser ahead of the transmission push forward on the reverser lever for reverse pull back for forward. The skidders with the reverser in the transfer case are forward for forward. When I run my 240A it feels wrong to me cause I put so many hours on my 225D. 
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Hans1

Nice looking Timber Jack what year is it. Looks like a pretty modern for a 208 great find. 

Corley5

It wouldn't be an opposite rotation engine just an opposite engine.  There were different configurations with the blowers, water pumps, fuel systems on opposite sides but the engine rotation was the same.  The 353 in my old Franklin had the water pump and fuel system on the left side facing the front.  The 353 in the old Dyna Hoe has the water pump and fuel system on the RH side.  There of course were opposite rotation models :) 8) 8)  Good looking old Jack 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Firewoodjoe

Well if the reverser is supposed to be backwards then yes it just a different orientation. And I was told it was a 1979. I'm pretty happy with it. It all works even both brakes and it is a 40 year old piece of woods equipment. 

tacks Y

They did a lot with the Detroits, some GM bus's ran backwards. I had an Allis dozer that stalled and starter rolling backwards that started to run backwards. Quite a sound. I had a pan that ran one, what a screamer. I have a bus/rv that had one. Now it has a Cummins, much nicer. Someone was skidding 2 1/2 miles from my house and with the wind right I could hear it plan as could be. Very nice looking machine. I keep looking for a small non Detroit skidder.

bushmechanic

I'm jealous, always loved those 208D's ;)

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: bushmechanic on March 03, 2020, 06:35:11 PM
I'm jealous, always loved those 208D's ;)
Yeah I've alwasy wanted a 200 series. Never even ran one until this one. But I feel like it's a iconic "logger" look lol  I don't know why. 

Firewoodjoe

Ok. I'm changing the oil in the winch. Yellow metal safe 75-90. But the oil level plug below the serial number tag it broke off. So I can't get it out. I read on a old post 1.8L is required. Or almost 2 quarts. Is that right? Would I be safe just adding two quarts? 

Maine logger88

Firewoodjoe

Thanks. Well that's 3 quarts so maybe I could add a little more. 

larry12

Nice old TJ . I purchased a 3-53 opposite hand from a gen set , without the blower for my 230 E , can't get it to fire yet on Either , so maybe it's a boat anchor lol .  If I do,  it'll need a little re jigging for the throttle etc , but not a biggie . It turns the same direction as the old run.

snowstorm

if you are saying your 353 dose not have a blower on it? it cant run without one

Firewoodjoe

I've changed most the gear oil and tinkered with other things. I was wanting to build a tree pusher for the arch before I take it to the woods. Two questions...are they really that useful? And does it need to have teeth? I would think not. And as far as pushing you can now, just not a lot of room if u need to finish the cut with pressure on the tree. I would think 90% of the time you could cut it leave a couple wedges in if it don't wedge over and then finish backing to it to push it over with arch. What's your experience? 

Maine logger88

Tree pusher is much nicer you can do it without one but once you have one you won't go back. It's harder to push trees uphill without one because the but plate hits the tree before the arch. Mine only sticks out about a foot but it's just enough to help a lot. Mine has no teeth but it has a v cut out

larry12

Quote from: snowstorm on March 06, 2020, 07:15:08 PM
if you are saying your 353 dose not have a blower on it? it cant run without one
I was also told that it would fire on Either but won't run without a blower . So I thought I would try it before installing it into the skidder. Darn thing just rolls over and won't fire . Oh well it may be a "pig in a poke " lol

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: Maine logger88 on March 07, 2020, 07:37:13 PM
Tree pusher is much nicer you can do it without one but once you have one you won't go back. It's harder to push trees uphill without one because the but plate hits the tree before the arch. Mine only sticks out about a foot but it's just enough to help a lot. Mine has no teeth but it has a v cut out
Ok maybe I'll gab one up. I would also like to build a large muffler can. I'll see what I can do. 

sandersen

"Make every step count."

BargeMonkey

Quote from: larry12 on March 07, 2020, 07:50:23 PM
Quote from: snowstorm on March 06, 2020, 07:15:08 PM
I was also told that it would fire on Either but won't run without a blower . So I thought I would try it before installing it into the skidder. Darn thing just rolls over and won't fire . Oh well it may be a "pig in a poke " lol
Dont you mean a "SOOOUUUPPER CHARGER"... 😂  2 strokes are neat when you can visualize the concept behind them, running without forced air isnt going to happen, I want to say the term was "non base scavenging". ? I know on an EMD the book says how many CU-FT a minute depending on engine model and it was ALOT. 

Firewoodjoe

Well I've tinkered a lot. I'm pleased and feel it could go to the woods anytime. I would like to do a muffler. It's actually not as loud as I was expecting  but still loud enough wide open. We'll see what I do next. I'm going to wait on the tree pusher. With the ground I'm usually in I think I can just fell it where I can or use the cable to be safe. And I noticed some stack slobber but it idle awhile and it is a Detroit. 

Pine Ridge

Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

repmma

Ran one 353 out of the woods without a blower.  Plugged oil passage holes with whittled sticks hammered in.  It was a bear to get it fired up and only had enough power to move itself with a WWII destroyer quality smoke screen trailing 100ft behind it that would give little Greta a stroke.  
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

barbender

That's a nice straight little machine, good score!
Too many irons in the fire

Firewoodjoe

Is there suppose to be a hood or covers anywhere in this area. Thanks. 

Lumberjohn

Nope, I don't see anything missing.

Thank You Sponsors!