iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Met a FF member

Started by Engineer, February 27, 2017, 08:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

Had an opportunity to go visit 4x4American aka Doug (D-U-G?) at his mill site outside Fort Ann, NY.  Doug runs a Woodmizer LT40 Super, and has a nice little operation with his mill, a mill shed, support equipment and room for plenty of logs and lumber.  I found out he was sawing some big beech logs and I love QS beech, so I bought some.  We had a nice hour-long conversation that probably could have stretched out a lot longer if we both didn't have things to do.  It's always great to meet fellow 'Forumites'.  I'm sure we'll cross paths again. 

petefrom bearswamp

Yes always good to meet other FF members.
I have family over near Ft Ann,
If I ever get over there Ill try to look him up
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

hersnsh#590

Engineeer:  What is it about QS beech that you like?  Flecks or rays?

I have a couple on the ground in the sugar woods, I might try QS'ing them if there's something special about them.

Thanks
Dale
TK 1600, small sugaring operation, a bench full of J'reds, a tired ford 1710, new to us JD 5065e, 2 Honda 4 whlrs, a Can-Am 580 on tracks, and a very understanding wife.

YellowHammer

I met 4x4 at the Project last year, he's a good, honest, hardworking guy.  Just don't tell him I said that, or he will get the big head :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Mooseherder

And he has a pretty good sense of humor for a young buck. :)

Ga Mtn Man

I wish I had half 4x4's energy. 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Engineer

Quote from: hersnsh#590 on February 27, 2017, 08:51:46 PM
Engineeer:  What is it about QS beech that you like?  Flecks or rays?

There's a lot to like about beech.  It has the rays/flecks as you describe - not on the order of white oak, but enough to notice.  It has a very pretty pinkish-brown color to it when coated with a clear finish, and it complements many other woods if mixed together - I like using it as a lighter accent wood to cherry (or vice-versa) - I have some beech shelving and trim in my kitchen to complement the cherry cabinet face frames.  Conversely, it also blends well with maple.  It's pretty easy to work with both hand and power tools.  I really like it for kitchen ware - cutting boards, butcher blocks, even utensils, as it has no discernible odor or taste.  I have some large beech logs still in the woods, cut last summer.  If I can get to them before they rot, I'm going to cut and seal some bowl blanks for a bunch of large and small salad bowls.  It's an underutilized and underappreciated species.  Rumor has it that it is difficult to dry properly and that it is unstable.  I won't deny it, but I've had the chance to work with some pretty nice beech lumber so far. 

Thank You Sponsors!