teddy

What is the reason for a 7 or 8 rim?
thanks
Matt

Lanier_Lurker

8 = more speed and less power
7 = less speed and more power

bandmiller2

Matt,usally 8's are used on larger more powerfull saws especially with shorter bars like you would use for firewood,to make the best use of power.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

teddy

is it safe to say,

7 rim are for long bar and milling bars

8 rim are for short bar and small saw

Matt

Cut4fun

3/8 8T no for small saw.

325 8T maybe for small saw.

3/8LP is a 6-7 small saw usually.

But that is just how I do it, heck I only run 7T on my 60cc and under woods ported saws and 7T on my 65cc stock saws and under.

teddy

here is the game plan: Any opinions please let me know!!!

3/8 .050 chain
Stihl 066 7 rim (firewood) 20" bar
husky 394 7 rim (firewood 20" bar
husky 55 7 rim (firewood) 18" bar

.63 .404 chain
stihl 090 and 066 8 rim (milling saws) 48"+ bars

Rocky_J

Teddy, the larger rim will give you faster chain speed at the same RPM. It's like a higher gear on a bicycle. It's fine if you have the power to pull the extra gear, but putting a higher gear on a saw already maxed out with a 48" bar is not going to work.

I think you may have it backwards in your last post. I would do the exact opposite from what you posted except for perhaps the Husky 55.

teddy

Alright.
I am getting there!
the explanations help. It helps to understand it!!
Thanks!!!!

Mad Professor

The 066 and 394 should pull a 20" bar with 8 tooth no problem.  I run a 8 tooth on my 038M with 20" bar

Al_Smith

An 038 Mag will indeed pull an 8 tooth on a 20" bar  but actually does it better with a 7 . Depends on how heavy of a hand you have I suppose .

ladylake

My Husky Rancher 55 cut way faster with a .325 7 tooth than with a 3/8 7 tooth, doesn't have the torque to pull the hogher chain speed of the 3/8 chain. A 066 and 394 should pull a 3/8 8 pin well unless it's a long bar.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

MOwoodchopper

You can play with 7 and 8 pin and see what you like best they are cheap!
STIHL 084
STIHL 026 X2
STIHL 015
HUSQVARNA 372XP
DOLKITA 7900
DOLMAR 6800
DOLMAR 5105

ladylake

Keep in mind just cuz a 8 pin will throw chips farther doesn't mean it's cutting faster, do some timed cuts with both. Reminds me of a farmer with a 45hp skid loader( maybe 25hp through the hydraulics to the blower)  that bought a snow blower for it. I told him it would'nt have much capacity and he kept saying that they blow snow 100'. After using it some he went back to pushing with a bucket, it blew snow 100' but not very much.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

SawTroll

Quote from: Rocky_J on July 17, 2009, 10:25:02 PM
Teddy, the larger rim will give you faster chain speed at the same RPM. It's like a higher gear on a bicycle. It's fine if you have the power to pull the extra gear, but putting a higher gear on a saw already maxed out with a 48" bar is not going to work.

I think you may have it backwards in your last post. I would do the exact opposite from what you posted except for perhaps the Husky 55.

That sure is true!  :)
Information collector.

teddy

Alright guys!
I just converted everything to 3/8, .050 chain, with rim sprockets!
WOW, a small investment, but it will give me piece of mind and keep the shop a bit more organized!!
This whole week I played with different set ups and bar sizes!
I see that I was looking at it backwards! THANKS AGAIN!

For what it is worth! My 066 with a 7rim, 3/8, .050, and a 20 inch bar makes me feel like I am using a hot saw to make firewood!
I LOVE IT!!!!!

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beenthere

Good on ya.

Where are you makin firewood this time of year?  Seems would be too hot.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

teddy

Meadows Miller

Gday

Quote from: teddy on July 31, 2009, 06:10:48 PM
Alright guys!
I just converted everything to 3/8, .050 chain, with rim sprockets!
WOW, a small investment, but it will give me piece of mind and keep the shop a bit more organized!!

Theres nothing like Standardisation Teddy it keeps things simple Mate  ;)  And I like simple  ;) :D ;D 8)

For what it is worth! My 066 with a 7rim, 3/8, .050, and a 20 inch bar makes me feel like I am using a hot saw to make firewood!
I LOVE IT!!!!!

Im On to You Your as Bad as me Mate  ;) :D :D :D 8) 8) Hence the 3120  ;) ???

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

teddy

This is my 4th year of dong firewood!
And it was my most productive year yet!
So I am making a couple of investments! GOING BIG!!!

If you are going to cut wood, might as well enjoy it! (plus a BIG saw is fun to use!)((3120))!!!!!!!

TEDDY
1 man, 6 saws, 1 27ton splitter and a weak back!!!! 28 cords this summer!!!!!!!!!!!!   YA!!!!!!!!!!!

Al_Smith

Quote from: teddy on July 31, 2009, 11:50:48 PM
Good old northern Ohio!
Yes ,it hasn't been too bad as far as heat here in the big corn fields of north western Ohio either .

teddy

we have only had 7 days above 80 here!!!!!!
it's been one of the coolest summers I remember!
I hope we have a normal winter(so I can move the firewood!!!)
Plus the garden is way behind! The nights have been to cold...

bandmiller2

Wile the rim subject is on top.Finally got to use my 394 husky I just rebuilt 24" bar full complement chain and an 8 hole sprocket,think I'll go back to 7 tends to want to bog down in large hard maple.Mayby just not broke in yet runs fine carb set with tach,what do you guys think.I though it would have the torque to pull it with 8??Frank C.

Rocky_J

bandmiller, I recently downloaded the IPL for my saws (I found them at http://www.jonsered.ws/HIPL.htm) and it shows the 395 with a 7 pin sprocket, no mention of an 8 pin. Although my 395 does pull an 8 pin with a 32" bar quite well. I'm sure you will pick up some power with break in.

bandmiller2

Thanks Rocky,changed back to a 7 pin  and alls well with the world,big differance,cuts like it should.My own opinion but I think too much chain speed tends to dull a chain quicker,more apt to take small chips.When i started alot of the saws were the old gear reduction type,slow, large chain,that seemed to stay sharp longer,of course we didn't cut as much per hour.Probibly a large saw with a short bar for firewood could benifit from an 8 pin sprocket but thats kinda like a pickup bed on a Peterbuilt.Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!