iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mountain lion

Started by D._Frederick, July 20, 2009, 05:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

Last nite they had on the new about a guy with a poulan chain saw fending off a cougar, when they tracked down the cat it had a 6 inch gash in its shoulder.

beenthere

Fred
I read about that too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Now that is too close for comfort.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

must have been one irate feline to come after a running chainsaw cubs in a tree hole??Frank C.Oh if your being accosted by any critter grab your dry chem fire extingusher and give them a blast ,choke em rite up.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

chucker

:D if the beast of the forest comes that close to you while runing a saw! your going to need more then a willow switch!! " load up with a 24" 58 gauge 3/8 pitch with no rakers " a real meat saw .  ;D
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

fishpharmer

Have they charged the guy yet? ;) :D ;D

Wouldn't surprise me.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Todd

Unless it was already running, I would have had to throw my old Poulan at the critter!! :D
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

Tree tech

Im going to open a can of worms here! Im glad the guys safe but if he had a huskie he would have a frezer full of meat!

beenthere

No dog is gonna catch that cat.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Maineloggerkid

I am pretty sure he was a retired Navy Seal, too. The cougar attacked him from what I heard. Not positive, though.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

rebocardo

Yes, the news said he was a retired Seal or Marine and he was attacked while running the saw and he was barely able to hit the cat and it knocked him over.  Another good reason to be allowed to carry a firearm in a national park. If a 70+ pound cat or bear attacks while 30 feet or closer you might not survive it even with a running chainsaw.

olyman

not to be allowed to carry a firearm????  :(

Bruce Hopf

I remember about 30 to 35 years ago, my Dad and Uncle were talking about a Bear had attacked a guy while cutting fire wood, or was it logging. Can't remember, but he was definitely attacked. Bruce.
McCulloch
1-Pro Mac 60, 1-Pro Mac 700, 2-Mac 10-10 automatic's, 2-Mini Mac 30's, 2-Mac 110's, 2-Mini Mac 35's, 1-Mac 140 with Automatic chain sharpener, 1-Pro Mac 10-10, 2-Eagar Beaver 2.0's, 1-Mac 1-10
Stihl
2-044's, 2-034,s 2-024's, 1-064, 1-084
Strunk
1-Busy Beaver, 1-SpeeDemon Special

Bruce Hopf

I found this link about the Mountain Lion attack, so I thought I'd share with you all. Bruce.
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=8118412&page=1
McCulloch
1-Pro Mac 60, 1-Pro Mac 700, 2-Mac 10-10 automatic's, 2-Mini Mac 30's, 2-Mac 110's, 2-Mini Mac 35's, 1-Mac 140 with Automatic chain sharpener, 1-Pro Mac 10-10, 2-Eagar Beaver 2.0's, 1-Mac 1-10
Stihl
2-044's, 2-034,s 2-024's, 1-064, 1-084
Strunk
1-Busy Beaver, 1-SpeeDemon Special

htpd43

Quote from: rebocardo on July 26, 2009, 10:57:43 PM
Yes, the news said he was a retired Seal or Marine and he was attacked while running the saw and he was barely able to hit the cat and it knocked him over.  Another good reason to be allowed to carry a firearm in a national park. If a 70+ pound cat or bear attacks while 30 feet or closer you might not survive it even with a running chainsaw.

unless you had the gun at the ready you would be better off with a running saw in your hand - that is if it happens like it did with the recent mountain lion attack - a surprise attack while you are running the saw.  a human can cover 20 ft in less time than it takes to unholster and fire a handgun for the average person.  imagine how quickly a lion could cover 30 ft - there is no way you would be able to unholster, draw and then fire a weapon.  if you had time to prepare with the weapon or if you were walking with the weapon at the ready you might have a chance. 
j'red -2137/2150/2054/625II/2165
stihl -011avt/026/056av magII
kubota L35/2 trailers/chevy 1500/ford350 dump
lindig log splitter & lots of other goodies

Brucer

Rule 1 when confronted by a cougar: Do. not. run. away.

According to the story, the animal was just watching him -- until he ran >:(.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

beenthere

Quote from: Brucer on August 15, 2009, 08:08:57 PM
Rule 1 when confronted by a cougar: Do. not. run. away.

According to the story, the animal was just watching him -- until he ran >:(.

This is the article I read on the attack.
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message840944/pg1

In that story, the guy didn't run.
QuoteBritton said he raised his chain saw and met the lion head-on as it pounced
south central Wisconsin

Brucer

I can't get to your link, beenthere. Here's the quote from the link Bruce Hopf provided.

"Standing just 100 feet from his wife, Kirsta, and two toddlers at the campsite, Britton tried to run away from the lion into a clearing, but the lion followed him. Lucky for Britton, he had a chainsaw."

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Mad Professor

Was the Poulan a Wild Thingy???   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!