iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

grinding depth gauge on Stihl safety chain

Started by terrifictimbersllc, May 23, 2010, 03:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

I have a Stihl RM2 (rapid micro 2) chain with 1/3 of the cutter length left.  However now the depth gauge setting will have to be lower than the safety links right behind the depth gauge.  Do you have to grind these down too, it is about 3/4 inch of metal length to take care of.  If it matters it is a 3/8 0.050 chain with a green link marked on it.  I like this chain stays sharp longer than the square chisel round file RS type chain in dirty or ground contact sawing.   P.S. after grinding the gauges down i already took a  hand grinder to the top of these links to lower them, which was pretty fast, but wondering what the right procedure is for next time.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

SawTroll

Just toss it, and buy a better chain!   ::)
Information collector.

jteneyck

QuoteDo you have to grind these down too, it is about 3/4 inch of metal length to take care of.

I just sharpened one of these chains for a friend, and that's what I did.   The tooth only had about 1/3 length left, just like yours, and that was the only way to get the depth gauge down to the 0.025" Stihl recommends for the chain.  I actually took it down closer to 0.030", and Carlton's website talks about taking them down even more on chains with teeth that short.  Maybe technically you don't have to do it since the cutter tooth is separate from the link in front that carries this safety side plate, but that's what I did.  I put the chain on one of my saws and it cut great, w/o any noticeable problems. 

Thank You Sponsors!